Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Row Robin 2012/2013 GROUP #10

Good evening, group!

So good to read all the posts! Yes, we are a darned good group, aren't we??? Now I understand, Sherry. (lightbulb went off w/ description & pics. Thanks!)

30's reproduction fabric is to that era as Civil War fabrics are to that era. Probably the most popular Designer/mfr is Judy Rothermel who designs 'Aunt Grace' for Marcus Bros. There are several others, but that is probably the most well known. Think of Depression era fabrics or feedsack fabrics. Does that help? I'm sure if you go to your LQS, they'll have a section of 30's fabrics.

'Leaders and Enders' are similar to the piece of fabric we put under the foot before and after sewing a line of stitching. The difference is, you're actually putting together pieces and parts of other blocks, i.e., HST's, 4-patches, etc. SSSoooo - -- you're getting much better 'milage' out of your thread; you eliminate long thread tails and a messy sewing area AND you're being more productive with your time. Look up Bonnie Hunter. She coined the phrase. I really like her style.

MaryLane - dither away! I was just 'ribbin' you. You'll get your creative juices going and come up with something brilliant, I'm sure.

I'll think about a name to suggest for our group. We have some good ideas so far. Right now, I'm 'brain dead' from work. Will think more tomorrow.

Good night - - - -

Jane
    Jane

Blog Entries
    YooHoo Jane........ Haven't gotten around yet to making a 30's repo quilt but have always wanted to so it will be great fun working on a row for yours. Do you have a preference for colors? Are there any colors you don't particularly like?

Yvonne

Blog Entries
    Hey there Barbara......do you prefer Barbara or Barb? The beach is one of my favorite places. Are you looking for blues, peaches, sandy tans, soft yellows, whites? Do you have a background favorite?

Blog Entries
    Hello Sherry.....another question....let's say someone gets their row done really early.....can you send it on before it's "due" date or do you hold onto it? And if I'm understanding the rules correctly we stay in the order in which we were first posted, is that correct? In other words, you send your row to MaryLane, she sends it and yours on to Barbara, Barbara sends yours, MaryLane's, Barbara's on to Jane, Jane sends all of the above on to me and I send it back to you. Right???????? Then, since I'm at the bottom of the list, I start mine out by sending it to you. Right??????

Yvonne

Blog Entries
    Hi MaryLane.....hope you're feeling better....I had a bout with asthma when I was a child...not fun...but, thankfully it was just a one time thing. Didn't develop allergies until about 10 yrs. ago...not fun either but doable. Barbara asked how long we'd each been quilting so this is for everyone......... Hmmmmmm........let's see, I started out around 25 years ago with an Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt-in-a-Day book.....yeah, right!!!!...although I did get it done in a weekend which, looking back, guess that really wasn't too bad. The quilts since then have all gone to family. I've been at it a while but haven't made that many because I like to do too many other things as well......crocheting (prefer thread crochet), have been making amigurumi ornaments for gifts, sewing, knitting, cross-stitching, reading, painting,
    some stained glass, am trying tatting (once again!!!)...just can't get the hang of it! Signed up for a Craftsy Tatting Class that I can do in the privacy of my home so no one can see how klutzy I am!!!!!

Yvonne

Thanks for the info on the leader/ enders. I looked it up and I organized my scraps into strip sizes. I am also working on a scrap quilt that has fabrics I have used in other projects, plus what represents me, such as lady bugs, " love bugs' or the 60's volkswagon with flowers, LOL, red hats, etc. So, I also organized those pieces and started doing strips together.

We always send to the same person. If someone gets their row done before the deadline date, they can send it on to the next person. But, I would ask that person if that will be ok, just so the person does not feel overwhelmed. For instance, if I had my row ready right now and sent it on to the next person, that person may still be trying to decide what to do with the row she has and now would feel that she has 2 tops to deal with.

I am trying to finish up some projects that are due out by Oct. 15, because I will have surgery Oct. 5, to have my gall bladder out. So, I am stressed enough for this moment. I am using this as an example. But, I know that I was always one that would get my tops sent early, but I asked if that person was ready. I like to get things early, then can work on them when I want to. But, I still know that it is not due until a certain date. Also, if something happens and anyone feels that the tops are piling up on you, let me know and we can see if one of us can help you out. We do not want to stress anyone out. We want to have fun. If we are a fast bunch and get things done early, great. If we are a slow bunch, that is ok too. I think we sound like a good group and I think we will help each other if we need to.
    What are amigurumi ornaments?

Also, the colors on the computers , if a picture is posted may be different than what the actual row looks like, so I would wait until you receive someone's row and let it talk to you. If you send a note or little notebook, you can state your preferences for the top. However, keep in mind, the person working on your top decides what she thinks might compliment your top. You can email each other or ask on this thread about preferences, etc. I have ordered material, based on pictures on the computer and when I get the top, the material does not go with it. So, I learned the hard way, to wait until I have the top in my hands, before I question what material to use. When the original owner gets her top back, she can still decide how she wants to finish it.

Hey, I thought up another name for our group, how about Perfect Tens since the olympics are just over. LOL. I know we aren't perfect, but who cares. LOL. So the names suggested so far are: The ten pens, Dizzy Birds, or Perfect Tens. Any other suggestions?

If we send notebooks around, we can write our theme, colors, if we want the rows attached, where to put our row, and any other information we want the others to know. That way, we won't have to remember what everyone says on this thread. And we won't have to read through all of our posts to If might be simpler that way.
    Last edited by ssnare; 09-20-2012 at 08:54 AM.

I am going to make my hankie butterflies for this group. I can send hankies along if you like or if you have some hankies you want to use. No western hankies. It will be floral hankies, lacey hankies, emroidered hankies. I will send a pattern on how to fold the hankies. Please do not cut the hankies, though. Does any one embroider? I do not know how to make the head of the butterfly or the antennas. I may have to ask someone to do that.

I prefer Barbara--thanks. My main color is aqua so far, with some pinks, orangey/yellows, and sand colors.

I like all the names suggested. Whatever anyone likes, I'm good with it. I've always wanted to be a perfect ten. Sherry, after reading about all your projects, I don't think you have time to have surgery! But hoping all goes well with it.

I can embroider if needed. I don't have any hankies. Is there a good place to get them--or do you pick them up at fleas markets, etc. I have an aunt who does that.

You can send to me early if you want. It will just give me longer to get those creative juices going since I'm kind of a newbie.

Always wanted to try amigurumi--what's a simple one to start with and what type yarn is best?

I like "Perfect Tens".

I don't have any hankies. I am curious about your pattern. Does any place sell old fashioned hankies anymore?

I have narrowed my choices down to My Sewing Room, Down on the Farm, Patriotic or Western. So, still dithering but within limits.

Barbara, how do you feel about embroidery? I have some patterns I bought to make a quilt for my sister that would work for yours if I am remembering correctly.

Right now I am in baby item overdrive. Four babies between now and Christmas to sew for. As soon as I get some of this other stuff out of the way, I will think about stuff for me!

Can't wait to see your work, ladies!

Embroidery is fine with me. I'm hoping to learn techniques from all of you. All of your themes sound like fun, Mary.

Hey, I'm waiting on a baby, too. She should be here anytime the next 2 weeks. I have 3 sons and 3 grandsons--can you imagine how a little girl will rock our world?!

A little baby girl will have everyone wrapped around her little finger very quickly. And I am sure, she will not be spoiled at all. Lucky you. Be sure and show us pictures.

I will send hankies along with my row and you all can pick which ones you want to use when you work on my row. I can send extras, then you all can return the ones you do not want to use. Most of my hankies are white, with embroidered flowers of pinks, blues, lavender, and yellows. I have 2 pink hankies, a lavender one, and a turqoise one. Several have printed flowers. Some are all white with lace . I do have one that I had given my grandma when I was a little girl, and I was surprised she had kept it all of her life. I do not think it is the prettiest, but at the time, I sure thought it was pretty. LOL. I can't decide what color background to put them on.

I find hankies at garage sales and estate sales. You all can send your rows to me early, whenever you get them done.

The butterflies are beautiful. I have never seen a quilt like that and will love to work on it.

Blog Entries
    In re to amigurumi...it is the Japanese art of crocheting or knitting animals or creatures of your imagination. I prefer doing the small ones, 3" or 4" although I have done a few a little larger. I'd send a picture but camera needs charged and I don't know how to get the pictures from the camera to the computer anyway. My favorite yarn is Paton's Grace but you can use any worsted yarn although if using worsted you use a much smaller hook than called for. 99% of it is single crochet. The only thing you have to remember is to stuff them~~~~TIGHTLY... Speaking of gallbladders it must be the season.....mine comes out Sept.8th. It's so much easier than in the old days when you were hospitalized and hooked up to suction! It's Out Patient surgery now. Know it'll be uncomfortable the first couple of days but I can drive in 3 and bike in 12!!!! Well, gonna' get ready for bed.....take care all!

Blog Entries
    Oops, forgot...you asked which amigurumi was the easiest. Once you do one they're all easy. But, go to:
    craftgawker.com .... once you sign in you'll see "search" in the upper right corner ... click on that and a blank bar will come up ... type in: amigurumi ... a page will come up with MANY amigurumi ... scroll down to the one numbered #27115 ... it's a picture of 3 bears, a panda, a koala and a brown bear ornaments ... click on it and it will take you to her website where you'll find instructions. This is easiest because it's just a ball. Check out the rest of the site when you're done ... many of the items have instructions ... now, goodnight...............ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sherry, I looked at those pictures on the first link. Do you want those hankies hand appliqued or is machine alright?

Machine applique is fine. Some of the hankies are very thin, so use your own judgement. Let me know if you do not have hankies, so I will know how many to send.
    I got the list of names, addresses, etc. today and sent you all an email. Please pm or email if everything is correct or needs to be changed. Mine said I live in KY, when I live in KS. Also, my email was not right. So my info is now correct.

Apparently mine isn't correct because I didn't get anything. Can you tell me if I used my gmail account for this swap? I will pm you the address if that is the account I set. I am sure it is because it is my quilting related account.

Blog Entries
    Nope ... I didn't get anything either.

Good morning - - -

I'm back among the living again. LOL - - - I'm an RN and after two 12-hours days, I'm not worth much by the time I get home.

Yvonne - - I like all the 30's colors. The more, the better!

Barbara - please give us some guidance as to your color preferences. Great theme!

I like the 'Perfect Tens' for our name. I'm voting for that one!

I will be adding sashing and will send the fabric along with my first row.

To answer a previous question posted earlier, I've been quilting approx. 30 years. I had my own quilt shop for about five years which was a fulfilled pipe dream of mine. Now I can check that off my list. . . .

I'm fairly new to this site and am participating in a monthly block swap, a secret pal swap, Funky Valentine swap and hopefully a boomerang swap. This is my first row robin. In fact, my 'robin' at all! LOL - - -

I've never really gotten into other crafy kinds of things like knitting, crocheting, etc. I admire you who do.

As far as when to sending rows onto the next person - - - how about each of us communicate to the receiving person to know what will work for her? We all have everyone's email address. That'll work, right? No pressure - - just fun!

Jane
    Jane

Yeah!!! So excited!!

Jane
    Jane

Sherry --

RE: background fabric

I suggest a solid white or a very pale color you like, i.e., blue, pink, yellow, etc. I know Springs makes a beautiful 'Snow White' solid. I carried it in my shop and it was very popular because it wasn't a stark, blinding white. Just a thought - - -

Oh - - I'll provide my own hankies for your blocks.

Jane
    Jane

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast