Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Row Robin 2012/2013 GROUP #10

Yvonne, you worry too much. We would set a limit on the size of the center to start with. We would set a limit on the maximum size of each round. I think we could work with 6 people, no more than that. If we have 6 people, the limit size may be smaller. You could specify if you wanted more added to top and bottom to make a twin size quilt. I can lead the group, if that is what you want. We always have other projects and sometimes a shorter turn around makes people finish a round. For example , a 6 week turn around might be feasible, rather than an 8 week turn around. I would have to get permission from administration to be able to start a new thread and post pictures. We would not start it until we are completed with our row robins. So, it will definitely be after Aug. 1. I can start setting up the rules and we could start planning our centers ( round 1). Maybe the first mailing date would be around Oct. 1.

Your center does not have to be square. 27" will probably be way too big to start with. Something more reasonable might be 12 1/2"- 15 1/2' or 18 1/2". Remember, we all will be adding a border. You could still start with a square center and add more border to the top and bottom and still have a rectangle top to work with. Or you could start out with a rectangle center to start with. You would add the first border to your center. Usually we start out with a smaller border. Using the above centers as an example: My center might be 12 1/2" x 18 1/2" or somewhere in between.

Blog Entries
    mimim it won't be the same if you don't join us

I'm catching up--been very busy this week at work.
    I'll definitely consider a new robin with you girls. I'm not usually drawn to medallion quilts, but will check out some of the places mentioned above.
    Working on Jane's blocks. Love these 1930's prints! Maybe for my next quilt....

Blog Entries
    Question for everyone ... where do you get your 1930's prints....have a lot of LQS around me but none seem to care for this quilting line

I bought mine a few years ago at Hancock's and never got around to making the quilt I bought it for. But I don't recall seeing any in stores lately.

What is a dear jane quilt? Just wondering....

Blog Entries
    It's a replica of the 1863 Jane A Stickel quilt. Each block I think is only 5". It looks fascinating. You can "google" it and learn a lot more or you can go to Amazon.com for the book with all the patterns...think it's around $19.00. I think it would be great fun to do. There's something called Dear Jane Rules written by the lady that drafted the patterns from the original Jane Stickel quilt ...all 225 blocks! that was really helpful.

I think October 1st would be a good start date to mail our first round (center). As I mentioned before, mine will be rectangular. I like the idea of our 'rounds' being divisible by 3 - - - cool idea! With an agreed upon maximum size.

Are we going to do themes again? If so, what is everyone thinking??

I just had a thought/suggestion: has anyone else in our group done a Boomerang? I just finished one (and am starting in another). How about we each send a fat eighth of our chosen fabric to all participants - would send to the other 5 of us; then, as our quilts make their way to each of us, we would use the F8 in our round. Or maybe a FQ?? What do you think??

Jane
    Jane

RE: 1930's fabrics - - - they tend to be a specialty niche for LQS. I carried them in my shop. Very popular. I didn't use to be very fond of them but they grew on me quickly. Now I collect 30's fabrics. Go figure - - -

Jane
    Jane

I have been in several boomerangs. I will have to think about that. I do not know if that would work in a round robin. The neat part about a round robin is we get to pick what we think might look good with the previous row and it might be a little boring to use the same fabric in each round.

Blog Entries
    Have never done either so I 'm of no help. ..sorry.

Oct 1st is fine with me.

Seems like the ultimate finished size will be dependent upon the size of the starting center...am I thinking straight????? So maybe we need a minimum to maximum size for the center rather than the finished project. Is that what you meant Jane? Or do we need both so others can gauge the size of their borders as well???

Mine will be an appliqued and embroidered smiling sun so will need to know center size for square or rectangle so I can draw out my pattern.

Yvonne

Each quilt top will come out a different size, depending on what each person starts with and what each person adds. I have to look some things up to find out about how big the centers should be to start with. The minimum should be 12 1/2 " x 12 1/2". The rounds will be from 3 1/2" - 9 1/2" if 5 people want to be in it. Then you can add to your center as the first round. They grow pretty fast. You can start with a square or rectangle. Even if you start out with a square, you can specify that you want more added to the top and bottom and it will still be a rectangle.
    We probably should make the rounds from 3 1/2" - 6 1/2", if 6 people want to participate. What do you think about this?
    Measure your tops and square it up so the top and bottom are the same length and the sides are the same length, and each is divisible by 3 before you send it on to the next person. This will make it easier for the next person to work on it.
    I will need to know by July 31, how many want to participate. I will start a new thread to post pictures, rules, and comments. Do you want a 6 week turn around? That would make the mailing dates:
    Oct. 1
    Nov. 15
    Jan. 1
    March 15
    May1
    and June 15 if we have 6 players

If we have a 2 month turn around, the mailing dates would be:
    Oct. 1
    Dec. 1
    Feb. 1
    April 1
    June 1
    and possibly Aug. 1 if we have 6 players

Blog Entries
    Count me in.

Blog Entries
    My group did a round robin a couple of years ago. We used a "menu". A guideline for each round. If you woule like, i could send them on to you if you like. Here are some photos of the results. There was a total of 8 in our group and we only did six rounds starting with a 12" center block.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Gosh, QuilterMomma, those are really pretty and each so different..what a great way to practice and learn different
    borders.

Oldcatlady says she would be glad to join.

Blog Entries
    Welcome Catlady!

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    My group did a round robin a couple of years ago. We used a "menu". A guideline for each round. If you woule like, i could send them on to you if you like. Here are some photos of the results. There was a total of 8 in our group and we only did six rounds starting with a 12" center block.
    ---- Very pretty. Plz explain 'menu.' Was that your theme? - - Jane
    Jane

Sherry - - how many people are in this next RR? It looks like there might be 7?? Just checking --- Jane
    Jane

Jane, there is 6, if mimim plays. Quilter Mama will send me her rules. I have written up the rules and will post them soon. I will see what Quilter Mama sends me. She is looking up what they did in her group.

Girls, those quilts above are beautiful, but I probably will sit this one out. My plate is very full right now, but I will be watching to see what you come up with. If you find you need one more person, I will reconsider. You have all been so much fun to work with and I can't wait to see all our 5 quilt tops when finished.

Barbara, I was going to try to mail your quilt early - the last week of the month. BUT...the women I am in my BOM with really want to see it. Will you be terribly upset if I wait until after the third Monday in July to mail? I hope to be done next week.

Sherry are you counting me on the RR? If so, I prefer to do every 2 months not 6 weeks.

I like the 2 month turn around dates, they're more holiday friendly around xmas and new years

Mary, July is fine. Whenever you want.

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 ... LastLast