Secret Santa 2009

Old 11-27-2009, 09:45 AM

I was too old to get a CPK but 2 of my cousins did. The rage when I was born was Raggedy Ann dolls. I got my first Raggedy the year I was born but it was Andy and got Ann the next year. I still have them and now collect them. When my boys were small the furbies were in as well as the tomagachi, (which they each had). But does anyone remember the Popples? I had to find one and the only one I could find was a small one not the large one requested. It was still loved and now my 25 yo son still has it and loves it just as much. He won't even let his gf have it. He is afraid that his pitbull puppy might get it and ruin it after having it soooo long.
I realize I am being forward by posting this but these topics of dolls and remember when sort tend to bring back lots of happy memories. Thank you for listening to me ramble. :oops:
Old 11-27-2009, 09:46 AM

Melanie - if you have girls, you can make your dolls for use during "special occasions" where you are involved! Like special tea parties or the like. That way, they will stay special to them too, then they will grow up and keep them sacred for their children too! You can get them their own dolls and they can do what they will with those ones!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:02 AM

My 1st raggedy Ann my grandmother made for me. I still have her & I'm 54. My gm always made us dolls for xmas every year, She made us the cutest sock clown dolls & I wish I had the pattern. Man , I miss her.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chrickett
I remember them , my daughter had one, but the cabbage patch doll she never had , they were $48.00 where we lived. I must be a lot older then you girls, because When I was little , there was none of that stuff around. I remember the doll and pram I got one christmas, I wore the wheels off that pram. any of you ever have the metal sidewalk steel sktes, that you had to put on your shoes and tighten up with a key? :roll: :lol:
Yes, ma'am, I had some of those. Found them in my parents' basement a few years ago and my kids laughed their rear ends off thinking about their mother learning to skate down the driveway on those things.

I also had a turquoise Easy Bake Oven and it's still around here someplace ...

My oldest daughter had a Furbie and we all enjoyed listening to him "talk"; it was pretty comical.

All three had Tamagachi's, but they all "died" ... then, of course, there were the hamsters --- real ones. They were nice, but when they learned how to escape their cages, and came downstairs, well ...... let's just say that in the pale light of early morning, with no lights on, and you go into the bathroom, and have a quiet moment sitting there, and something warm and furry runs over your foot ..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

yes, it's generally pretty exciting at my house! :wink:

Had a great turkey day yesterday, all the kids were here, and the 2 grandbabies, and even a friend of my son-in-law, who had nowhere else to go that would be friendly. We were happy to have him here. It was a lovely day with much laughter, too much food, and good feelings all around. And my SS boxes behaved. So all-in-all, it was a good day.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:20 AM

boy has this thread gone off topic, lol!
I had raggedy ann and andy dolls when I was a kid, my mother made them. No idea what happened to them, I bet my mother gave them away.
I'm pretty sure she made them when she was pregnant with me because she had a 'feeling' I was going to be a girl. Funny how some people just 'know'
Now that I think of it, I really wish I knew what happened to those...
Old 11-27-2009, 11:10 AM

I remember them , my daughter had one, but the cabbage patch doll she never had , they were $48.00 where we lived. I must be a lot older then you girls, because When I was little , there was none of that stuff around. I remember the doll and pram I got one christmas, I wore the wheels off that pram. any of you ever have the metal sidewalk steel sktes, that you had to put on your shoes and tighten up with a key? :roll: :lol:
My sister and I had those metal wheeled skates!!
We wore our keys around the neck on a shoe lace.
And we could really fly on those things! Especially
if we used a bit of mom's sewing machine oil in the
wheels... made them quieter as well. Fun memories!
Old 11-27-2009, 11:24 AM

I had some of those skates that i inherited from an aunt. Got tired of them coming off my shoes so I made a skate board out of them Funny how kids today have to have helmuts, elbow & knee pads & hand guards.I use to do it barefooted & no head injuries.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:35 PM

I had skates like that and loved skating with them. I don't think they make them anymore. In fact, when I was in the fourth grade one of my girlfriends and I put on our skates, (I lived in Mill Valley, CA which is the town at the base of Mr Tamalpias in the bay area) called the local paper to have a reporter meet us at our starting point to take pictures so we could get into the Guinness Book of World Records for climbing the mountain with our roller skates. No one showed up to take our pictures on our way up nor did anyone show up to take our pictures when we got down, both very tired and scraped up from our adventure. We did get a lot of weird looks from the hikers who witnessed our task. It's a miracle that neither of us broke any bones. Our skates were not rollable as they were caked with dirt and weeds but we made sure we kept them on until we got to the spot we started from. LOL, those were the good ole days.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Hmmm.....maybe Santa is listening and will bring you all those old toy......memories!!!! I sure wouldn't need to have my old skates back...I couldn't use them now, would probably kill myself!
Old 11-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Hmmm.....maybe Santa is listening and will bring you all those old toy......memories!!!! I sure wouldn't need to have my old skates back...I couldn't use them now, would probably kill myself!
LOL, Patti! That is exactly what I was thinking. I got on a pair of roller skates at a rink, with the kids sometime around 35 and fell backwards. I didn't get hurt, but it stirred those memories of age 14, breaking my t**lbone, and I decided I would leave the skates to the kids...forever :wink:
Well, I for one, am enjoying the reminiscing and hearing about old toys and such, that ppl got for Christmas. It's funny, but no matter what else I got, up to age 11, I always got a doll, a purse and a sweater...and was always surprised!
We didn't have any relatives for hundreds of miles, while growing up, so we always got up at 2:30 - 3:00 a. m. and stayed up all day in our pajamas...ate like piggies, and napped and ate more. It was great, laying around with fat tummies like a bunch of carvival rats!
:oops: um,...oops, did mousie say rat? :mrgreen: