Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016 >

Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016

Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016

Old 12-08-2016, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rumbols View Post
Just love all your favorite Christmas stories. Here's mine.

When we were little (my brother, sister and I being the oldest), Mom & Dad would take us joy riding to see the Christmas lights on Christmas Eve. As we piled into the car, Mom always had to run back into the house for something she forgot and it took her forever in kid time to get back to the car. Dad would drive us around for about two to three hours seeing the decoration lights people put on the outside of their houses. Before going back home, we would stop at Frischs for hot chocolate and donuts. Once home Dad would go into the house first to turn on the lights and make sure we didn't have strangers in the house like raccoons, squirrels, bats, or even humans as we never locked our doors in those days. Seemed to take him a long time before we were allowed in. Then he would come out and say did you see that flash overhead? We'd say what and start looking up at the sky. Mom would say what was that over there and point over the back of the house. By now you have guessed, Santa had come. He put lights and decorations on the artificial blue tree with the glittered box stand (4 ft tall). He had added lots of presents around the tree and filled out stockings. Us kids were wide awake then and so happy. We couldn't believe it, Santa had come while we were gone. We opened our presents, including a stocking with an apple, orange, and small sack of nuts. We stayed up until 2 am having fun. Christmas day, Dad had to work, so this was our Christmas celebration. We had turkey sandwiches for Christmas dinner with a Christmas cookie.

Years later before Mom & Dad died, Mom told me she had the tree decorated and sitting in the closet. She set up the round stool where she wanted the tree to go and she stacked the presents on the couch before we left for the ride. All Dad had to do was set up the tree on the round stool, nail the tree stand down to the stool so it would tip over, plug in the lights and dump the presents under the tree. Then do his acting job. We didn't have much but Mom and Dad sure made us some sweet memories.
I love this one, too. Reading all of your stories has really put me in the Christmas mood, finally. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:27 PM

The worst gift I ever got for Christmas was when I was 8. We had a gift exchange at school and we all picked a name out of a hat. I got a Candle that had Mary, mother of Jesus on it, It was half burnt. Being Southern Baptist and not knowing Catholic traditions or anything Catholic for that matter I had no idea what the significance was. I was just a sad little 8 year old going home with something she did not really want! Lucky for me we had a wonderful neighbor lady who was Catholic who explained how much the gift was a "heart" gift. She told me the girl who gave it to me was more than likely very poor, even poorer than we were! And she gave the candle to me because it was all she had and it was something she valued highly. My neighbor lady, Mrs Wilson told me I should write a very nice thank you letter to the girl and tell her how very happy I was to receive such a gift. So I did, I was good friends with Rosa till we moved out of the area. I learned a lot about Catholic traditions as well as Mexican traditions and her Mom would always make the best tamales for my family at Christmas time. I never did know what happened to that Candle, but when I see one in the store it always reminds me of my friend Rosa, and Mrs Wilson for taking the time to show me what a gift from the heart was.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:55 PM

Hi Guys,

What at fabulous stories.... I have laughed and cried at them all......

Sadly I am still on the bench here..... Am I alone or are there others sitting and swinging their legs with me???

Hugs

Caroline
Old 12-08-2016, 04:15 PM

Love the story marytoddliz, I grew up catholic.
white elephant gifts!
I've received my gift...But scoot over Caroline I've brought wine, crackers and cheese Also hot cocoa and hot Amish friendship bread, Take your pick. I'll wait it out with you ( we can watch and see who trips and falls into the naughty hole lol)
Old 12-08-2016, 07:06 PM

Hopefully the weather doesn't delay anyone's gifts, and everyone has them by Saturday!

I got called into work on Sunday, so not sure if I'll be able to join everyone as they open the gifts. I'll take it to work with me though, and depending on what my work load is, I'll try to join everyone "live".
Old 12-08-2016, 07:09 PM

I just need to check the time to convert to my time. sat 11 ...what hour please?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:24 PM

Thanks, Lots2do. It is my all time favorite memory of Christmas.
Everyone has such moving Christmas stories, they just make you warm and fuzzy all over.

3 days left to open our SS gift, hope everyone has theirs. I am with you CarolinePaj, just swinging my feet and petting my box wondering what is in there. Maybe, loosing the tape just a little; no no no. Big sigh, smacking hand and trying to be good.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:00 AM

This pkg seems to be swelling. I've been staring at it such a long time. Recon it's an inflatable boat?
Hurry Secret Santa opening day....3 days - I must be patient!!!!
Enjoying all of your stories!!!!
hugs,
dj
Old 12-09-2016, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
Hi Guys,

What at fabulous stories.... I have laughed and cried at them all......

Sadly I am still on the bench here..... Am I alone or are there others sitting and swinging their legs with me???

Hugs

Caroline

Caroline, are you talking about not having a gift in the mail yet or talking about the hardship of waiting?
Old 12-09-2016, 06:15 AM

CarolinePaj, I sent you a PM.