Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016 >

Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016

Secret Santa Sign-ups 2016

Old 11-07-2016, 08:57 AM

When I was a child,
we didn't have much money. Most of my clothes came from my Mom friend, she had 3 daughters. After they made the rounds with them. My Mom altered them, then they did me, and then my sister.
Mom was handy with sewing and was an amazing knitter. So for Christmas we all got one small toy, and our stocking was always full . Mom would sneak in our rooms at night and hang our stockings on the bottom of our bed. Such a joy to wake up Christmas morning and discover all the treasures. All new socks, hand made mitts and scarf and cap.
My Christmas stocking, I had the same one all thru my childhood. When I got married, and moved away. That first christmas with just my husband, my Mom sent me my Christmas stocking, full of goodies. I still have that same stocking, and hang it every year on my mantle. That tacky olive green stocking with sewn stickers on it, still looks lovely in my eyes. for it held more than treasures, it holds memories.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:19 AM

I was a kid of the 80s...

One Christmas we got a VHS recorder (I was around 5 years old). My parents loved the movie Christmas Lilies of the Field,and it was playing that afternoon. So,they recorded it.

Not understanding how things worked, I kept lookingbehind the couch to "catch" the guy who was recording the tv. I was never able to catch him, no matter howfast I turned around.

As for presents... there were five of us kids. My parents would stretch out Christmas, andget some time away from us, by disappearing into their room to wrap presentsfor several days leading up to Christmas. They would bring out one present at a time, and we would have to lookfor the name hidden somewhere on the wrapping paper. It might be spelled out inside the ornamentson the tree, or maybe hidden in the feet of a reindeer, or somewhere in Santa'sbag, but it would be there. The oldestwould find the name and give the package to the next kid, and then he wouldfind the name, pass it on, etc. Once weall found the name, we'd compare. Myparent's reused wrapping paper every year, so sometimes we'd find two differentnames, if they hadn't scratched out the old one. If that happened, we'd send the package backin and they'd remove the old name.

Christmas morning we'd have to find all the names again(we weren't allowed to "sort" them by name in advance). Sometimes we might remember a present if itwas special in some way (a shape or really heavy), but mostly we'd have to re-findthe names. One Christmas it took hoursto find the names. Dad decided hewouldn't hide them quite so well after that.

My son was an only child, so hiding names with himwouldn't work. What I did instead washide his presents! This came about oneyear when I was having health problems and needed to sleep in. But, I didn't want my need for sleep todeprive him of Christmas morning excitement. So instead, I numbered his presents with a sharpie and then hid them allover the house (I had "rules", so nothing would be hidden too well, itwould all be visible by standing in the doorway, so not in drawers, etc). He could wake me up after he found all hispresents (or it had been half an hour since he was able to find the last one). I made a list of all the places I hidpresents, with the matching number, so that nothing would be lost once I gotup. We did this for a few years and itwas always fun (and I always got to sleep in a little longer!)
Old 11-07-2016, 10:15 AM

Growing up there were 8 of us and Christmas was fun but what I remember most was the fresh fruit and nuts we got every year! I loved Oranges and they were always in my stocking!

My favorite Christmas thou was when my kids were little, about 6 and 8 I think. I decided to do something a little challenging for them! I put together a scavenger hunt, very similar to Sleepy Hollow.

Each clue lead them on a hunt for more clues and small presents, they had to work together to find each item. The last clue lead them to the Bikes. It lasted most of the morning and they were so excited about the game that they could not wait to go to their grandparents house to tell all the cousins.

To this day they still talk about that Christmas and ask why I didn't do it every year! I guess I should have!
Old 11-07-2016, 11:02 AM

When hubby was in grad school & I an undergrad we struggled with daycare, tuition for two, and household costs even though he worked part-time during his research periods & I worked full time while taking early, mid-day, & evening classes. Being long range planners, after Christmas we would get one really good toy on 75% off sale & during the rest of the year with a 1 dollar limit each month we'd get her small items. We lived in married student housing, the cheapest rate in town because it was so old but we could walk to the University & save even more. The only place to hide the presents was in a very small closet that we kept locked & opened for her birthday at midyear & at Christmastime to wrap the goodies in newspaper cartoons. We went to work in industry after graduation the same time she began school. A few months later her class was preparing to sing in the school Christmas pageant. A boy told her she was singing the song wrong but she wasn't having any of his guff. He pushed her & she pushed back. The choir teacher asked her to sing it for the class. She sang her song Santa Closets Coming To Town much to the wonderment of the class. To this very day she loves her version for the memories it bring.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:45 AM

My SS package was mailed today. It is going way down South, but should arrive in a couple days. I hope she will be happy with the choices I picked out. I always worry I don't get exactly what they are looking for, but as for me, I am so not fussy. I love presents and do not mind how many, just as long as I have something to open with everyone. I am excited.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:00 PM

Many thanks to my Secret Santa in Michigan, your package may have arrived Friday or Saturday, but I was out of town until today. Thank you so much. But.... now I have a long wait ahead of me! Can't wait for opening day! I love the anticipation of this swap!
Old 11-07-2016, 12:11 PM

Well I packed it as full as I could and took it to the post office and its winging its way off to a place I would love to visit. I've heard it's beautiful there. I hope she likes what I bought.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:56 PM

Dear Secret Santa,
I received a large box in the mail today! However my SS is SO sneaky that my address was also used as the return address!! So to "Elfin Magic" whomever you are, Thank you!!!

Waiting for opening day is going to be extra hard now.....
Old 11-07-2016, 02:00 PM

To my SS I mailed your package today, you should have it by Thursday.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:26 PM

I have most of the bought items. I need to double check what she wants and see it I have it in my stash of things. I need to wrap the gifts and buy the sweets. I hope she likes what I have for her, as much as I have had fun putting the package together. She lives in a different state than I do.

I enjoy reading about people's past Christmas experience.