Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed >

September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

September Secret Pal Sign Up Closed

Old 09-18-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Prayer Shawl quilts? That looks super neat. I am going to have to look that book up.
It was so neat I bought two copies..........but not at the same time...........That's why MDM Panther ended up with one.........I had just discovered it...........I wonder how many more duplicate copies of books I have boughten.................
Old 09-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Swap Hosts

Quick update on my class today ~ It was the New York Beauty block taught by Linda Hahn ~ and if any of you are familiar with my quilting, you'll know this was a rather frightening undertaking for me.

So ... sometimes it pays to be an airhead.

The guild was offering two classes. One today and one tomorrow. I got the hours mixed up. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Today's class started at 10am. I thought it started at 1:00 pm.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

So in I stroll and I notice everyone looks like they've been sewing for a while. The program director from the guild strolls over and tells me the news. I want to fall through a hole in the floor. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Linda is about the start the second part of the block but she was so sweet and said, "Don't worry about it. I'll catch you up."
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

So I stayed.

And I ended up getting a one-on-one lesson!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Followed by a one-on-one trunk show!

Her method is soooo simple. At one point she asked me if I was a pin person. I said no, I am an undisciplined quilter. She laughed and said, me too! :D

So I zipped along and she was amazed at how fast I did it. Once I got my first block pieced together I held it up and ... I couldn't help it ... I gasped. A couple of women said, Are you OK? And like a babbling idiot I said, "Very OK. I did it! Whoohooo!" :P

Anyway, will post pix later. Off to the dog park to show it off!
:-D :P :-D :P :-D :P :-D :P
Old 09-18-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Quick update on my class today ~ It was the New York Beauty block taught by Linda Hahn ~ and if any of you are familiar with my quilting, you'll know this was a rather frightening undertaking for me.

So ... sometimes it pays to be an airhead.

The guild was offering two classes. One today and one tomorrow. I got the hours mixed up. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Today's class started at 10am. I thought it started at 1:00 pm.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

So in I stroll and I notice everyone looks like they've been sewing for a while. The program director from the guild strolls over and tells me the news. I want to fall through a hole in the floor. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Linda is about the start the second part of the block but she was so sweet and said, "Don't worry about it. I'll catch you up."
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

So I stayed.

And I ended up getting a one-on-one lesson!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Followed by a one-on-one trunk show!

Her method is soooo simple. At one point she asked me if I was a pin person. I said no, I am an undisciplined quilter. She laughed and said, me too! :D

So I zipped along and she was amazed at how fast I did it. Once I got my first block pieced together I held it up and ... I couldn't help it ... I gasped. A couple of women said, Are you OK? And like a babbling idiot I said, "Very OK. I did it! Whoohooo!" :P

Anyway, will post pix later. Off to the dog park to show it off!
:-D :P :-D :P :-D :P :-D :P
Ok so can you teach me long distance??? lol I need to learn how to do paper piecing.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by MDMPanther
Here is the wonderful package I got from "catpawski" yesterday....Love it, Love it, Love it!!

Having trouble getting the pictures to upload...will keep trying! While you're in suspense, I'll tell you what was in it...a Prayer Shawl pattern book, jellyroll pattern, freebie JoAnn patterns, a hand tension ball, dragonfly and purple fabric, Werther's candy, a purple magnetic memo pad and the cutest little hearts to add to my heart collection!!! (Purple IS my fav color and I LOVE hearts).....Hmmm next time I'll add one of those PURPLE THANGS to my list...don't have one of those!!
I love the hearts great package and ideas as to what to put in a package....
Old 09-18-2011, 03:02 PM

So glad you enjoyed the class and do so well krystyna
Old 09-18-2011, 03:28 PM

wow mis one day and you have 20 pages to catch up on. Everyone is getting such lovely packages. My Sp should be getting her's Monday or Tuesday.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:32 PM

Home from vacation today. As promised, here's the recipe for apple walnut cake:

Apple Walnut Cake Ring

1 cup butter or margarine 1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups sugar 1/4 tsp. Mace (I don’t use this)
3 large eggs 2 tsp. pure vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour 2 1/2 cups, chopped apples
1 tsp. baking soda 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp. salt 3/4 cup seedless raisins (opt I don’t use these)

In large electric mixer bowl, cream butter or margarine and sugar till fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine and sift flour, baking soda, salt cinnamon and mace, then add gradually to creamed mixture. Stir in vanilla, apples, nuts and (optional) raisins. Batter will be stiff. Spoon into greased, floured 10 inch tube pan (I use a bundt pan) and bake in 325 F oven 1 1/2 hours, or until wooden pick inserted in center emerges clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; turn out onto wire rack. (Start checking the cake for doneness after an 1 and 15 min…sometimes 1 ½ hours is too long.)

Serve with whipped cream or brown sugar glaze. To make glaze, combine about 1/4 cup brown sugar with 1/4 cup melted margarine in saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in 1 Tbsp. milk and enough confectioners’ sugar to achieve spreading consistency. Spread over top of warm cake and allow to trickle down sides.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by JSNOMORE
wow mis one day and you have 20 pages to catch up on. Everyone is getting such lovely packages. My Sp should be getting her's Monday or Tuesday.
Where is your SP I wonder?
Old 09-18-2011, 04:05 PM

I was writing letters to my soldiers until I got sidetracked by 3NorwichTerr's Apple Walnut Cake Ring. I am going to make this tomorrow! Wish I could send it to him! Actually I would love to send it to all three of them. I'm sure it would be mouldy before it got to them in Afghanistan.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it too.