Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins

Old 08-30-2022, 06:11 AM

Good morning! Happy news about Klaws joining us again. 😀

Guess I’ll go next with a little bio. I’ve been quilting for 20 plus years. I picked up the Boom swap almost 10 years ago and enjoyed hosting it but the time came that I felt I had to pass it on. I’m happy to be joining this round in the 3 month group! I like traditional style blocks and do some PP’ing and string piecing too.

I’m married for a gazillion years to a wonderful hubby. I have two grown sons and now two granddaughters. We moved to NC last year to be nearer to them. We have a pit bull, and a cat we inherited who thinks he owns me, not the other way around. The dog is the canine love of my life. I enjoy my pets, reading and a bit of gardening as well as quilting.

Have a lovely day, Boomers!
Old 08-30-2022, 06:21 AM

Klaws so glad you will be able to join in. Mom had macular degeneration also, I can empathize with your struggles.

Reba working with your Halloween fabric will be so fun.

Cheesehead are you sending more of your luscious floral fabrics
Old 08-30-2022, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Hello everyone,

Today's roster looks like this:

2 month swap;
Terriamn
Sewbizgirl
Hav4boys
RebaQuilts
Travelinggramma
Petthefabric
Lstew2212
Duckling

3 month swap:
JaniceMcC
Terriamn
Sewbizgirl
Bibliostone
Hav4boys
MJPEncinitas
RebaQuilts
Ibex94
Travelinggramma
Petthefabric
Lstew2212
Cheesehead
Marcialee
Klaws

8 plus 14... woo hoo! Not bad for only one week into signups. I am thankful for every one of you and hope we all have a blast with these Booms.

Janice, so great that you can get lots of grandgirls time now. I'm sure your son and his wife are happy about the free babysitter!
Old 08-30-2022, 12:05 PM

I am loving thinking about all these new fabrics to play with! My biography is pretty much like everyone else's in here. Gotta love that life is so normal between us all despite the ups and downs. I have two grown sons and eight grandchildren ranging in ages 3-10. I am still working full time (I teach college-level geography remotely) as is my husband (who is very happy he is not a teacher). My father lives with us and we have recently relocated to his home so he can see his doctors as he recovers from a stroke. My fur babies have crossed the rainbow bridge and my heart isn't ready to commit to any more of them right now. Maybe after I have retired when I won't be traveling as much.

I love to collect fabric and make blocks. I'm not so good at wrapping up my quilting projects but that is okay with me. My great grandmothers were avid quilters and there are tons of quilts dispersed through the family from their handiwork. My first attempt at a quilt was a crazy quilt when I was probably 7 years old. I still have those ragtag fabric scraps that I hand-sewed from my memory of what a crazy quilt should look like. 1983 is when I took my first class on piecing and fell in love with it. I've pieced tops but never quilted them just because I keep getting sucked into other hobbies or new tops. I love the creative side of piecing and so love these BOOMs.

The first quilt I successfully started quilting by hand ended up destroyed in the Hurricane Katrina floods and I'm afraid I haven't tried to complete a quilt since then. I'm just too busy between my job and babysitting grandkids or helping dad. And I'd rather piece. The Quilt As You Go method (thank you Sewbizgirl for tutorials!) has gotten a few of my blocks from BOOMs quilted up but none completed in a quilt yet. I'm good at repairing quilts though.

I watched in awe as you all went through the last BOOM. I hope my blocks for you all are as dynamic as the ones everyone made for the last BOOM. Thank you for letting me experiment with new patterns with your fabric. I expect you to do the same with mine. No pressure from me as I have loved everything that has come from the BOOMs. Especially the discussions!

Old 08-30-2022, 04:03 PM

Good evening, Boomers, I am so happy to be joining you for Boom 28. My first boom was #19 and I can remember how overwhelmed I was to see 19 F8'ths arrive one day in the mail. One by one as each block was completed, I knew I was addicted to creating different blocks with everyone's beautiful fabric. I did slip away for Boom 26 and 27 but followed you daily and enjoyed seeing everything that was being made.

DH and I have been married for 53 years, had four children and 5 grands. We have a Blue Point Siamese that travels with us everywhere. We are in the process of packing up to leave for Alabama (Gulf Shores) and plan to arrive there later this weekend. We will return to Wisconsin for the holidays then return to Alabama shortly thereafter.

I have a Bablylock Crown Jewel with robotics at both locations that allow me to finish quilts. Fortunately for me DH loads the quilt and gets everything set up then I get to do my thing.

We survived hurricane Sally on 9/16/20 which came in one mph short of a category III hurricane. Hopefully we won't encounter any more hurricanes in our lifetime but who knows.

Klaws so happy to see you return for another Boom.
Terriamn, Thanks for the wonderful welcome back to the swap! I thought I had fabric picked out for this Boom but after a few days of looking at it, it just didn't feel right. I would love to do something this time in Christmas fabrics, will check the stash in Alabama.
Libster, your strong faith will get you through the difficult times ahead. Just know your quilting sisters here are sending positive vibes your way.

Cheese
Old 08-31-2022, 03:03 AM

My turn, My name is Lisa and I live in Pa. I grew up in Ga. My one and only son was born with many medical issues and needed a transplant. I move to Pa., Transplant was successful which allowed me three more wonderful years with my son before he passed in 2006. He was twelve. I met my second husband and bonus daughter in Pa. And here I remain. My fur baby (German Shepard) is Remy. Other than quilting, I love to cross stitch and knit. I have been quilting for as long as I can remember. My mother was a sewer. I have participated in many booms and really love the piecing process. I have several UFO’s I really need to finish with my past Boom blocks. I have met many new quilting friends here in the Boom’s and you really can’t stay away. So excited to get started.

For the two month group, I have Christmas fabric and the three month group, I have a pink piece for 10 blocks and a dinosaur fabric to the other ten blocks, think baby quilts
Old 08-31-2022, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Lstew, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Big virtual hug, sent your way…

Well, looks like we have a lot of knitters in our group! I knit too, and crochet. My typical day is to quilt during the day, then relax with my hubby in the evening doing needlework.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Saw another one to add...
http://www.delawarequilts.com/BOMs/index.html
Old 08-31-2022, 06:49 PM

Well I had fun reading the girls Boom bio's so far, here's a bit about me. I am a single retired gal living in Michigan. My younger sister, some of you may know as Givio, started me on my first generation of 2 cats and now I have a second generation of cats. Givio blessed me with a gorgeous breeding silver Bengel and I found her cat sister, a much larger similarly spotted brown cat. I started sewing based on mothers orders when I was 10 and quickly discovered I didn't like making clothes. At 17 I completed my first quilt with grandma. It was one of those patch quilts with nylons for filling! Anyone remember those? Then I went hog wild with weekend crafting while working and traveling nationwide for 20 years. My family dubbed me the Glue Gun Queen until I re-started making quilts. I love to make them for first babies and church friends and neighbors since I don't have any kids myself. This Boom 28 quilt will go to a recent Ukranian refugee neighbor that I just discovered lived in my small town!
I am having a total knee replacement so girls, I will be sewing like crazy to finish everything on time. Thank goodness my sewing machine doesn't have a knee pedal! You sound like a great group that I already have "cat connections" with and my parents lived in Mission TX too -- a condo at the Seven Oaks Golf Course! Looking forward to Boom 28.
Old 08-31-2022, 07:05 PM

Just in case you wondered, the Ukranian flag is blue and yellow and that should warm my neighbors heart along with the sunflowers. Maybe you creatives can come up with a combination of colors and designs to make it really special!
Attached Thumbnails ukranian-flag.jpg