Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Up July 2013 47th Doll Quilt Swap - Self Portrait and/or Where I Live

Blog Entries
    Well, I am about to get started...seems once I do that it goes pretty fast! I hope so...still sort of at a loss on this one but I KNOW I can do it!!!!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Finally think I have an idea for my swap partner. I'll be going with the "Where I Live" theme. Have the idea in my head need to put pen to paper for calculations.

Blog Entries
    Onalee, you are one sweet lady. Hey, why not "borrow" one of those buses and we'll trick it out and go on a quilting road trip to visit everyone here! BUT ... I'm bringing my flying monkeys because they can't be trusted at home alone! Thanks for your compliment on the quilting. There's nothing to learn. Just do it!

Luvstoquilt, you're doing a traditional one, aren't you? So ... there's the Illinois Road Block or Illinois State Block or the Illinois Star OR ... there's always the Rose of Sharon (which I wouldn't try on a bet)

Mamaskeeto - calculations? Yikes! That's scary.

Hubby is working overtime AGAIN tonight so lots of stitching time. Made a quick run to Joann armed with his Marine Corps discharge papers and some other coupons and got some basics for a project I'm working on. It'll be noisy so I'm glad he'll be out and not complaining about the racket.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    Noisy? Quilt with real firecrackers? Shooting off from the sewing machine? Poor poor puppies.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    I thought I would experiment with a nail gun ...
    Krystyna

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    I thought I would experiment with a nail gun ...
    Nail gun......and what are we working on that we need a nail gun for???

I have found the pattern that I want to make for my partner this month. Now after having help today cleaning, all my fabric that was spread all over my living room is piled on top of the cutting table. So I have to put the fabric away, so I can get started on the mini doll quilt.

Hopefully my enviroment will continue to get better. Next major room to attack is my bedroom. I hate putting clothes away so they are in baskets around the room. I will improve.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

I used to threaten the kids with the nail gun that I'd nail one foot down so the farthest they could go was in a circle!!
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Blog Entries
    Cindy, I think we have twin rooms. I just found out that there are storage cages somewhere in the complex and I'm waiting for the super to show them to me. Clutter gone! At $10 a month, well worth it.

Vanogay, children can get into a lot of trouble in a small circle. Give them matches, a hatchet, glue or paint and look out!!!

I put away the nail gun. Now I'm cutting pieces with a chain saw .... vrooooommmmm!!!!
    Krystyna

Yeah, but Momma with a power tool was a frightening sight to them - threatening to put holes in their heads and let their brains leak out, that sort - I loved picturesque well, grotesque, to be sure. They're both upright, law abiding men, threatening their kids - to let Grandma come get them!!!!
    Kathleen

One of our board members went to the NQA show in Columbus, OH and photographed my 3 quilts I had entered. She was unable to get them to post, so I am tooting my horn for all to look. Didn't win any ribbons, but enjoyed entering just the same. One Asian, machine quilted; one wall hanging - Sunbonnet Sue, all hand quilted and one Americana, machine quilted. Hope these can get posted - Thank you so much Patricia for taking them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kathleen

Blog Entries
    Kathleen, after I'm done calling CPS on you, I need to jump on my chair and cheer! WOW! They are all gorgeous. I especially love the first two. The colors are vibrant in the first and the second one is so darn cute. Well done! Whooo-hooooo!!!! Here's a ribbon from your DQ pals!

Name:  MontegoBlueRibbon.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  96.5 KB
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Vanogay I LOVE your Sunbonnet Sue quilt! What a wonderful interpretive quilt!
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Thank you, thank you, blushing brightly. Glad they are all returned home safely. Have a number of shows I'm entering. Next is local - county fair. Have a number of things for that one. And then after that, the guild I belong to has a show in September - I have 4 to enter there. Entering the WPT show in Wisconsin with 1 and the Quilt Expo in Georgia with 1. This may be my year ...
    Kathleen

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    They're all beautiful. Great job!!! I have the patriotic wall hanging you sent to me hanging now in my kitchen and I absolutely love it! Thank you again for making it for me. You can always send me anything miss Vanogay, I love being your partner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Kathleen keep us posted on your upcoming wins. I've never entered anything in a show. Maybe one day I'll be good enough to try it.
    Krystyna

Hey, Krystyna, it's not "one day, I'll be good enough to try it". My goodness, I'm not the best quilter that's ever come down the pike. I have won some ribbons in my entering, but county fairs are fairly easy to win ribbons (if you're half a quilter, that is) and my other ribbons have never been a "Best of ..." except for that GI Sue hanging above. (In the AQS show, she won Best Hand Quilting - and in this NQA show, the judge told me I needed to practice my quilting stitches and get more consistent !). My Sashiko quilts are pushed to the side, the judges don't know what they are. I've found the biggest fear we quilters have of entering shows is the fact our quilts don't measure up to a judge's criteria. Get over that!! I figure, in my opinion, my quilts are pretty good - I've even sold one for some good money. A judge is only expressing her opinion - and it may be way different from another judge (i.e. GI Sue) or mine - or yours, for that matter. Find one you're proud of and enter it - the first one's the hardest!
    Thanks Jaba, I enjoyed making your patriotic hanger. Need to get back to Holloways to get the new die cuts...
    Kathleen

Kathleen, Your quilts are fantastic! I love the little Sue with all her glory and detail. How do you do the sashiko stitch? I know there are machines that will do it. Or am I mistaken about that? Do you have to audition to get into the shows? I recently went to a show and we talked to a judge there that my friend knew. Interesting-she said many of the quilts which were done by longarm had tensions issues on the back, which immediately hurt their chances of winning. You can tell they put each quilt through lots of criteria before selecting the winners. I think, too, that you have to just try it and get over the fear that everything is way above your skill level. I saw a lot of variation of skill and talent, but all were very lovely quilts.
    jillnjo

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Since the colors were so bazaar, I figured Holloways would at least offer to mail them. Doesn't sound like the best customer service, or am I wrong?

Blog Entries
    My very creative Doll Quilt I received from Paperpieceme. Thankyou again we love it!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

glad you like it! i enjoyed making it.

Blog Entries
    What a fun and interesting piece!
    Krystyna

Okay, some information on entering shows. Many shows are 'juried'. That means a group of people (ladies?) will look at your entry form and the photo/DVD you send with it. If your photos are good and show your quilt to its best potential, it may get accepted. You'll receive a notice from them either way. If the show is open, they will generally take the first XX entered (the NQA took the first 400). They may still require the photo/DVD first. Both type shows are still judged by a qualified judge person - who looks for things that make a good quilt - color coordination, pattern execution, square quilt (straight sides), binding that is 'full' and fits the quilt well, 90 degree corners on that binding. All the same things we do with our quilts every time. Now, one judge may like soft colors, another loves bright, bold and unfortunately may judge that way. I attended a trunk show for a judge at our local show a few years back and she talked about breaking out of the boring color box and trying colors that you might not normally use. My kind of lady! The next day was the judging competition. Her critique for my labryinth quilt was that the yellow I used in the quilt was too bright!! Go figure - but that's her opinion. Each show is different and I've learned lots for each one.
    Sashiko is Japanese quilting. It's a hand stitch (for me) that is even on top and bottom. Yes there are machines that do the Sashiko stitching, but I just don't have that kind of money - and the bottom of the quilt will be a straight line of thread - the machine only uses a bobbin, no top thread. Anyway, guess it's out of that box and not all judges know what it's supposed to look like. I did a clutch purse (for my local quilt show again) and my critique was that the patterns above the zipper and below the zipper did not match. That was it, zip. Maybe it's the judges we get in Tennessee??
    Keep trying.
    Kathleen

Blog Entries
    OK. I am going to enter some quilts in my guild's show this year. They are a boring bunch of old ladies so maybe this will wake them up and give them a good laugh, too. I can already hear the tsk-tsk-tsk's.
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Love the ribbon you gave Kathleen, Krystyna. No way will I be making a "Rose of Sharon"....I have looked at it several times and just shook my head! I am in a hand quilting Bee that meets every Wednesday. I love those ladies...most of them are really great quilters and they are so willing to share their knowledge. I was finally brave enough to take in a wall hanging I made and they acted like it was really special. No quilt police are allowed in there. I am really learning to love the easy lifestyle in middle America.

My quilt is coming along...I spent a lot of time on it yesterday!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Great little quilt paperpieceme! Love it!

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast