Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins

Old 05-22-2013, 10:39 AM

krystyna as people are rallying around to send quilts and things to help in Oklahoma, Sikesjj lives right outside the city she is gathering quilts to hand out with her church to make sure they go to needy people not organizations per say.. what would you recommend that is most highly needed when you lose it all? I said underwear. new underwear.. jammies, clothing hair supplies what can people send that might be the best bang for what they can send? ps pm sikesjj and let her know too ok?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:41 AM

Elisabrat - the roasted chicken is absolutely fantastic. Can I just be assigned to have you as my partner? I'll make you batik things and you can humor my pig and chicken and monkey and donkey silliness!?!?!
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
krystyna as people are rallying around to send quilts and things to help in Oklahoma, Sikesjj lives right outside the city she is gathering quilts to hand out with her church to make sure they go to needy people not organizations per say.. what would you recommend that is most highly needed when you lose it all? I said underwear. new underwear.. jammies, clothing hair supplies what can people send that might be the best bang for what they can send? ps pm sikesjj and let her know too ok?
OK. Here is my recommendation of what is most needed although I doubt you can fit one in an envelope ... a little red shopping cart. Or in place of that, a luggage cart. Why? When you have no car and roads are impassible, you have no way of getting supplies back to wherever you've taken shelter. The Army and whoever will give out MRE's and Water and they are heavy! When you go to a distribution site there may be clothing, blankets, etc and you can't carry it all. As a tip to all of you who have not experienced a disaster ... add this to your preps!

Next: Depends. When there is no way to do laundry ... when there is nowhere to use a bathroom except a bucket or a darkened portosan, accidents happen while you're trying to balance and not actually sit down. Ask me how I know. One of the best things I got at the relief center was depends!

There will be plenty of bleach. Every time I turned around there was someone driving by with an offer of bleach. To the last person I said, "Thanks so much, dear, but this is so far beyond bleach it isn't funny."

Paper plates, utensils, cups and especially hot cups. I cannot tell you how desperate I was for a cup of coffee. One afternoon I found someone who had a Dunkin Donuts box ... but no cups.

I don't know how hot and muggy it will be there, but talcum powder would be very handy. Probably itch cream and desinex for diaper rash and bug bites.

Also, the thing I looked forward to so very much was being able to brush my teeth. Ten days without cleaning and ugh!

Heavy work gloves. Socks.

Head Lamps. If you have a dog, you'll have to walk it in the dark even if there is a curfew. I strapped two on ... one to see where I was going without tripping over debris and one set to flash in the back so I wouldn't get run over.

Chocolate. Someone sent me a chocolate bar all carefully wrapped up in plastic wrap. Sorry I don't recall who it was at the moment, but I will tell you that it came at just the right moment.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Moore, Newcastle, Shawnee, Carney, Little Axe, Dale, Bethel Acres, several other cities were all victims of a tornado outbreak since Sunday. We've worked to compile a list of every place you can donate money, time, food, and services too all the cities in Oklahoma who need your help.
http://www.okcfox.com/newsroom/top_s...id_11234.shtml

this is what we got today ladies ......its hot and humid here ...... thunderstorms are expected tomorrow and Friday too...... Krystyna your list is awesome .... esp the tooth brushes and talcum powder .... the humidity is really bad up there .... and if cloths are sent right now summer cloths .... thank you all for your thoughts concerns and prayers for these wonderful people in central Oklahoma ..... they are a tough breed and will make it through this ...
if you catch anything on line look for the 90 something year old lady who was wiped out in the 1999 tornado and this one ..... she said she would rebuild ..... the LORD works in mysterious ways ........ GOD bless us all
Attached Thumbnails 943462_10151627175205861_199108941_n.jpg  

Last edited by Crazy Quiltin Robin; 05-22-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 PM

Elisabrat, what a hoot your roasted chicken is, lucky annaquilts who gets to enjoy this little quilt.

Phew - now I have an extra month to do my self portrait - gives me extra time to do some 'cosmetic' procedures

Now I just need to find the patriotic pattern I had picked out to do !!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Swap Hosts

Robin, thanks for the update. How are you doing? We miss you! Did you get my envelope? Hope it didn't blow away.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM

You gals are doing awesome DQ's! It's been fun to see what everyone is making and getting.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:54 PM

Great list, K, not the usual items == gonna pack up those things and put together for hurricane season which officially starts in 9 days. Recommend everyone do the same becuz ya just never know...tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, wildfires, ice storms. Never can you have enough warning. And this has been an eventful year.

Big heavy-duty tote bags would be a great thing to have to carry all those things around in. I made several after Rita using the blue tarps that came off our leaky roof. Also good to make would be one of those personal care kits that holds toothbrush, paste, comb, gel soap, sanitizer, wet wipes and rolls up in a washcloth and held together with a ponytail holder or two. Probably back packs, notepads, pens would also be helpful. And an umbrella?
Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 PM

Oh - and hats with visors to keep the sun off. Sweat bands will be useful with all the hard labor ahead of them.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM

last thought on those good ideas: put them in the back of your car. sucks your trunk is full. sucks more to lose it all and if your semi lucky you can be away from home when things happen and well having emergency stuff is so important. Krystyna I thank you so much for compiling a list so we dont just send.. stuff .. everything is needed but somethings obviously so so much more. bless you for sharing and having relived that awful moment in time. I know it was super hard to do that.