Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins

Old 12-16-2020, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I am on the sidelines again. I want to see another Round Robin before I commit. The last Round Robin was a huge learning experience for me.
Barb, we would love to have you join us.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

MJP, the first round is small, so it doesn't take much time at all. The last round is the most time consuming, if you do a nice round that size. What can eat up most of your time can be trying to figure out what you will do to continue the quilt. If you think too long, you're out of time. Or you could procrastinate because you think you have plenty of time, and then when it slips away you are left wondering what happened. And don't forget the post office is going to eat up at least one of your weeks. So you actually end up with about 3 weeks to decide what to do and then do it.

Give it a try! Everyone should have at least one RR quilt under their belt!
Old 12-16-2020, 06:23 PM

I agree with SBG. Absolutely allow extra time for mailing. The post office has their share of covid cases and problems and priority mail is not always as fast as it used to be.

If you have to have a top in hand for inspiration, it will take you longer to do your round. If you are content with seeing a picture of the previous round and can make up your mind what to do while you are waiting on postal delivery you will be better off.

There are too many factors to say the first round took X amount of hours and following rounds took X hours or added X amount of time. Concept planning, fabric choice, pattern, execution, etc., can be short or long depending on who you are and what your level of desire is for what you want to do.

Everybody knows a 4" block with 20 pieces is going to take longer than a 4" patch you can rotary cut! To think up something really unique and imaginative can take 10 minutes or days of mulling things over, depending on lots of things-- a person's background, education, creativity, skill, experience, resources. On the other hand, thinking up something that satisfies you to add can be really quick and easy to sew without regard to any of those things.

I would say I spent sooo much time just taking a picture of my rounds! lol That seemed harder to me than thinking up what to sew!

For the sewing, once I began, it didn't take more than a few days, until I got to the last round, and if I hadn't made about 20 individual paper patterns with crazy little pieces that had to be cut individually, then that round would not have taken so long either. I'd say if you have a full time job like I do, then give yourself a couple of weekends where you have uninterrupted time and that should be enough time. If you are retired and home all the time, a month ought to be plenty of time to do any of the rounds.

The fun and adventure in sewing is such a treat with a RR. I echo SBG, definitely give it a try!

Last edited by givio; 12-16-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:50 PM

I think I will be doing a NY Beauty for my center. I've always wanted to do this pattern and I think this would be the perfect medium. now I just need to find the right fabric.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:42 PM

Hi, Just a question... The postage date will be 15th each month? Is that correct?
This means we would only have 3 weeks to work on each round? Due to mail travel time...
Old 12-17-2020, 04:00 PM

Yes, mail on the 15th or before each month.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:10 PM

Thank Bonnie for the tips. I am paper-piecing a moose for my center square and am excited to see what everyone chooses to add. Never thought beyond that so they are very helpful.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

Mona, is this swap open internationally? I would think it too risky, let alone expensive and time consuming, to mail the quilts out of the U.S.
Each quilt will be mailed 6 times, so 6 international postage fees, and 6 chances at the quilt being lost or delayed while out of country. Plus, I don't think tracking is available internationally.

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 12-17-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:20 AM

I've taken part twice with Round Robins on this forum in the past and we never had any issues. Its was a great experience for everyone. No problems with packages travelling etc. I was able to track my package moving around the US right up to the front door.

This has always been an international quilting forum where we took part in swaps, enjoyed eath others 'virtual' company, talents and mutural love of quilting.

Last edited by jacquie; 12-18-2020 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I am just lurking and offering observations and advice... but I wouldn't agree to my quilt being sent overseas. THere are probably enough people in each country to do their own RRs.