Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block  Swap (Closed) >

Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block Swap (Closed)

Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block Swap (Closed)

Old 03-24-2010, 06:10 PM

The only thing I can complain about this is our blocks have to be prewashed....I never prewash anything. That means not only do I have to prewash my blocks but the fabrics I will be sewing snowmen, doggie scarves, their tennis shoes and hats and bathing suits (oh wait...I forgot, snowmen don't wear bathing suits)....but you get the picture. Or can I make up my blocks and then wash the whole thing when done....that would work. I could make them 13 inches to allow for shrinkage or maybe 14 and cut them 12 1/2 " afterwards for completed block. Darn, I'm smart.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gramqlts
The only thing I can complain about this is our blocks have to be prewashed....I never prewash anything. That means not only do I have to prewash my blocks but the fabrics I will be sewing snowmen, doggie scarves, their tennis shoes and hats and bathing suits (oh wait...I forgot, snowmen don't wear bathing suits)....but you get the picture. Or can I make up my blocks and then wash the whole thing when done....that would work. I could make them 13 inches to allow for shrinkage or maybe 14 and cut them 12 1/2 " afterwards for completed block. Darn, I'm smart.
What does everyone think if we don't prewash our fabrics for this swap. If you have done it already that is OK otherwise I really don't think it is necessary. Let's vote.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:23 PM

[quote=pvquilter What does everyone think if we don't prewash our fabrics for this swap. If you have done it already that is OK otherwise I really don't think it is necessary. Let's vote.[/quote]

I only prewash for the swaps or for black or red fabrics. I NEVER have had a problem with good quality fabric shrinking or colors running or fading. Perhaps this was the case years ago, but I really don't think it happens now. And it does seem a waste of time washing the fabric to take out the sizing, ironing the fabric and then spraying starch on the fabrics to make them easier to work with.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:32 PM

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH God Love you pvquilter....I vote we don't wash. Every time I tried my fabric raveled like crazy....I like it all sewed up and no selvages before I wash, ya know what I mean???

Every one vote no wash........Please please please please.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM

I never prewash. Considering that I have to go to the laundromat and I don't wanna risk my fabric walking away - I wait to wash until I have a couple of quilts, and wash them together while I can stare at the washer and guard my lovelies from the crazies that are staring at me and my tattoos...
Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 PM

love to do the snowman block---------dont wash
Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 PM

Either way works fine for me. I will just watch and see what needs to be done!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:00 PM

also one set snowflakes
Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 PM

I vote no wash also, I like the look of it when you wash after quilting.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:23 PM

I wash every fabric as soon as it comes through the door, so it is too late! Quilt University recommends doing this as some fabrics go into formaldahyde in the processing. Also, I found a book in the library yesterday on quilted snowflakes, called "Sewflakes" by Kathy Wylie. It is an applique book, in case anyone would like to check at their libraries, etc.