Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap >

Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

Old 11-10-2017, 11:02 AM

Ladies I need to know if anyone has allergies or allergens to pet hair (cat, dog etc.) If you do please let me what you do when you are joining swaps like this one. One of the ladies has a dog that sometimes gets in her play room and she was asking. I suggested that maybe she could put her blocks in a sandwich bags (one block to a bag). Any other suggestions will be welcomed.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:40 AM

Red face Thank you so much for the reminder!

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
The Churn Dash is essentially just a 9 patch block. For it to measure 12 1/2" unfinished, each unit should measure 4 1/2" square. Just make sure that your HSTs measure 4 1/2", your strip units should measure the same. When I make the HSTs, I'll cut my squares at 5 1/4" and trim to 4 1/2" after sewing on the diagonal, cutting apart and pressing. Using 1/4" seams, it's bound to come out the right size.
I have been having so much trouble with my blocks coming out the right size. I have been really careful with the cutting. Over sizing the triangle squares and trimming them to the perfect size. So, I did a test block today and found that even using my quarter inch foot (which has the edge guide)....I was still off. So, I knew the problem was in my quarter inch. So, I reset my machine to a different setting and measured each section I sewed to make sure it was a perfect quarter inch. And, finally, my blocks are coming out the right size. I found that my machine setting was off. So, this is my demo block and even though it doesn't look like it's perfect, I measured each point to make sure there was a quarter inch for piecing it together. I guess I should have done my homework sooner.

So, I think I will keep my tape measure by my machine for another block or two just to make sure I have it right.

I'm really not a stickler on points being perfect, honestly, I can live with "off a little" just fine. But, I don't want any of you to have to bare with it.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:59 AM

Judith1005, your block looks just beautiful to me. No quilt police here on the QuiltingBoard!
Old 11-10-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
I have been having so much trouble with my blocks coming out the right size. I have been really careful with the cutting. Over sizing the triangle squares and trimming them to the perfect size. So, I did a test block today and found that even using my quarter inch foot (which has the edge guide)....I was still off. So, I knew the problem was in my quarter inch. So, I reset my machine to a different setting and measured each section I sewed to make sure it was a perfect quarter inch. And, finally, my blocks are coming out the right size. I found that my machine setting was off. So, this is my demo block and even though it doesn't look like it's perfect, I measured each point to make sure there was a quarter inch for piecing it together. I guess I should have done my homework sooner.

So, I think I will keep my tape measure by my machine for another block or two just to make sure I have it right.

I'm really not a stickler on points being perfect, honestly, I can live with "off a little" just fine. But, I don't want any of you to have to bare with it.
Judith very pretty block, I think it looks good.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:04 PM

Judith, your block looks perfect!
Old 11-10-2017, 02:34 PM

Great block Judith
Old 11-10-2017, 02:41 PM

marietta, That's a cute post with lots of blocks pictured!
Attached Thumbnails floral-churn-dash.jpg  
Old 11-10-2017, 02:46 PM

Thank you ladies. Appreciate your kind words.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:46 PM

No pet allergies here and totally understand a point here and there not being perfect. I think if someone is expecting perfect blocks they probably shouldn’t be swapping. We just need to do the best we can do
Old 11-10-2017, 02:53 PM

I just finished cutting out 3 sets. I'll post pictures once they are sewn together.