Summer 2017 I Spy Swap

Old 09-02-2017, 06:14 PM

I just wanted to share with people in my "hangouts" that Craftsy is having an "All You Can Watch Free" day on Monday. If you are already signed up with them, look for an email first thing Monday morning. Especially here, since Craftsy was mentioned up-thread.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
Here are some pouches I made from the squares received in the I Spy swap (may be a few from previous swaps, too). The larger ones are sized to be pencil cases, and the smaller ones fit most cell phones. They're good for any small items, though, such as medicine/vitamins, makeup, small toys, sewing supplies, etc. The larger ones take 4 charm squares (plus liner fabric) to make, and the smaller ones take 3 charm squares (plus liner fabric). They all have padding inside. Wish I could post a tutorial, but the assembly technique came from a Craftsy class, and is probably copyrighted. Here's a link: https://www.craftsy.com/sewing/class...-zip-way/58909

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579773[/ATTACH]
I love these little bags, and watched the class today! I've never sewn a zipper, now I'm kind of excited to try some bags. Where do you get your zippers? An old friend wants me to sell stuff at her Christmas bazaar this year (which I'm not real excited about), so I'm looking for some quick projects since I'd never make money on my time with quilts (so stuff like hotpads and stockings if I can get my time down on them). Anyway, looking for a good source for the zippers, since it seems the ones I can find in town are not cheap (or nylon/plastic).
Old 09-04-2017, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sleepy Hollow View Post
I love these little bags, and watched the class today! I've never sewn a zipper, now I'm kind of excited to try some bags. Where do you get your zippers? An old friend wants me to sell stuff at her Christmas bazaar this year (which I'm not real excited about), so I'm looking for some quick projects since I'd never make money on my time with quilts (so stuff like hotpads and stockings if I can get my time down on them). Anyway, looking for a good source for the zippers, since it seems the ones I can find in town are not cheap (or nylon/plastic).
This is my absolute favorite zipper seller. She has awesome prices, plus you get to choose the exact colors you want. She ships fast, too! (No affiliation. Just a happy customer.) https://www.etsy.com/shop/zipit?ref=l2-shop-info-name

I love this assembly technique. It's infinitely easier than trying to install a zipper the "traditional" way, plus I get a kick out of mixing and matching the zipper heads.

Edited to add: Rather than using fusible fleece (I think that's what she uses, if I remember correctly), I use plain ol' white felt. A few light squiggles of Elmer's glue, ironed to make it dry instantly, holds everything in place during the sewing process.

Last edited by moonrise; 09-04-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:20 AM

Thank you! I was looking all over, and I think that's the best price I've seen for the nice, bright colors.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:45 AM

I watched the craftsy videos also and had the same question on where to get the zippers - so may also place an order and try some. I need to go through my zipper stash and see if any are long enough and are plastic. Would be some cute Christmas gifts.

Thanks for sharing your bags!

Last edited by rbwiese; 09-08-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:27 AM

Did anyone else make any bags? I'd love to see them, if you did! I made another batch last week, but don't have a photo handy at the moment.

Is there going to be a fall swap? I've been collecting fabrics for it.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
Did anyone else make any bags? I'd love to see them, if you did! I made another batch last week, but don't have a photo handy at the moment.

Is there going to be a fall swap? I've been collecting fabrics for it.
I did! Not from my I-spy squares though. Thanks again for the info

A pumpkin/jack-o'-lantern "sweatpea pod" coin purse. I made one for myself, and one I sent with a mug rug swap. I didn't have fusible fleece, so I just did some quick quilting on the outside piece and batting before putting it together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581512[/ATTACH]

Becca bags. One for me, one for ? I plan to make more. I love Halloween fabric, and like the "A Nightmare Before Christmas" movie, so pulled some Jack Skellington fabric out of my stash. I did buy some fusible fleece to use for these though.

Does anyone know if the "fusible" part of fusible fleece washes away if you wash it? Just curious. If so, I might try making it myself since I can get regular fleece or batting + a can of spray fusing stuff for less when I can combine sales and coupons. Or just use batting/fleece scraps. The quilting I did on the pouch above was fine, but takes more time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581513[/ATTACH]

And a baby quilt from the I spy swap This is the first one I've completed, but I have a few tops ready to be quilted. I had to "force" myself to buy pink fabric; I just don't like pink. But I like how the quilt came out! I plan to make enough to donate to the NICU where my son spent his first two weeks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581514[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pumpkin-sweetpea-pouch.jpg   jack-skellington-becca-bag.jpg   pink-nicu-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 09-30-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:31 AM

If there is another swap soon, I hope it's another "no limit on number of sets", since I have four sets already cut and waiting...

And, if we ever do the alphabet swap, I found the perfect fabric for "x"... "x-ray cats"!

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0382387/t...ray-cats-black (no longer available on that website, but wanted to share what it looks like)
Old 09-30-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sleepy Hollow View Post
I did! Not from my I-spy squares though. Thanks again for the info

A pumpkin/jack-o'-lantern "sweatpea pod" coin purse. I made one for myself, and one I sent with a mug rug swap. I didn't have fusible fleece, so I just did some quick quilting on the outside piece and batting before putting it together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581512[/ATTACH]

Becca bags. One for me, one for ? I plan to make more. I love Halloween fabric, and like the "A Nightmare Before Christmas" movie, so pulled some Jack Skellington fabric out of my stash. I did buy some fusible fleece to use for these though.

Does anyone know if the "fusible" part of fusible fleece washes away if you wash it? Just curious. If so, I might try making it myself since I can get regular fleece or batting + a can of spray fusing stuff for less when I can combine sales and coupons. Or just use batting/fleece scraps. The quilting I did on the pouch above was fine, but takes more time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581513[/ATTACH]

And a baby quilt from the I spy swap This is the first one I've completed, but I have a few tops ready to be quilted. I had to "force" myself to buy pink fabric; I just don't like pink. But I like how the quilt came out! I plan to make enough to donate to the NICU where my son spent his first two weeks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581514[/ATTACH]
How cute, all of them! I made a few of the cute PeaPod bags, but wanted something a little bigger. My charm pouches are just smaller versions of the Becca Bags. As far as the fusible fleece, I never seem to have much luck with it adhering to the fabric for some reason, so I use white felt and a few light squiggles of Elmer's Washable School Glue instead. It dries almost instantly when it's ironed.

I used to HATE zippers, but it's fun and easy doing it this way. Y'all ought to see the bed in our guest bedroom. It's piled FULL of purses and pouches and key fobs, ready to take to the craft fairs. There's another pile of Becca Bags on my sewing-table, waiting to be finished. They're like potato chips. You can't stop at just one!

The X-Ray Kitty fabric is so cute!
Old 09-30-2017, 12:45 PM

Cute, cute, cute! oh, and - Boo for Halloween!