Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Winter 2.5” Charm Swap, signup ends January 31, 2017 >

Winter 2.5” Charm Swap, signup ends January 31, 2017

Old 01-20-2017, 05:03 AM

kristijoy.....the trick to swapping is to take every scrap you got from every project you do and cut the leftover fabric into 2.5" squares , 5" squares, and strips bigger than an inch in width. (I also take the selvage lables off and save them for Zozee.). That way, you have no messy scrap bin, and your squares are cut ready to make scrap or string quilts. The reason we swap is for variety. After all, who wants a 400 piece scrap quilt made out of only 3 or 4 fabrics? So we trade away 50 each of our same fabrics and receive 50 different fabrics. When the fabrics arrive, we admire them and sew them into scrap quilts, and thank our friends, and especially our host..... Welcome to the group.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-20-2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: per member request
Old 01-20-2017, 05:07 AM

Oh I just noticed we have at least 10 people. That means we will all have 10 different bags. I cannot wait I am so excited. I plan on cutting mine this weekend (my accuquilt cutter is at our cabin so I don't have access until then)....and then I will mail on Monday or Tuesday.

Just out of curiosity....do most people do things in coordinating colors or just 50 "willy nilly". I can do both.

By the way....even my sewing friends thinks I'm nuts for being excited on this one. LOL
I'll just wait until I show them everything and see how green with envy they are!

Old 01-20-2017, 05:13 AM

Mine are cut from random scraps from whatever project I happened to be working on at the time.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:26 AM

djmat -

I'd like to join, if it's not too late. I just joined the 2.5" birthday charm swap, and this would make a nice addition to that.

I have the day off today and plan to be knee deep in fabric -- Whahoo! Hehehehee!!!

I'm not sure yet how many bags I'll decide to swap until later today.

Please let me know, and I'll PM my info and swap intentions.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
Just out of curiosity....do most people do things in coordinating colors or just 50 "willy nilly". I can do both.
I just use whatever fabric I have been working with. This time I'm including some fabrics from the Bonnie Hunter En Provence MQ, along with many more colors. So I guess I would describe it as "willy-nilly", yes
Old 01-20-2017, 07:13 AM

At first I cut only from scraps and yardage in my stash. When there weren't enough choices left in my "regular" stash, I started cutting from FQ bundles so this time will be a combination of coordinated and whatever. You will be delighted with the squares these ladies swap.

Oh I just noticed we have at least 10 people. That means we will all have 10 different bags. I cannot wait I am so excited. I plan on cutting mine this weekend (my accuquilt cutter is at our cabin so I don't have access until then)....and then I will mail on Monday or Tuesday.

By the way....even my sewing friends thinks I'm nuts for being excited on this one. LOL
I'll just wait until I show them everything and see how green with envy they are!

Old 01-20-2017, 07:51 AM

I have been looking at postage stamp quilts and other patterns which use charms.
Oh the love I've been falling in!
Old 01-20-2017, 08:36 AM

I have been looking at postage stamp quilts and other patterns which use charms.
Oh the love I've been falling in!
I’m thinking about starting a Cathedral Window quilt. This YouTube video looks doable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u8AT6lJK_c
Old 01-20-2017, 08:56 AM

I want to make a double wedding ring quilt, but I'm having trouble finding a pattern that uses 2.5" pieces. I'm starting to think I might need to graph it out myself. Cathedral Windows sounds like a perfect pattern for charms, Jennr8r!
Old 01-20-2017, 03:33 PM

Swaps need to be in my hands by
February 24[SUP]th[/SUP]
10 bags with 50 different squares in each bag, rules explain it in detail - see first post!
Welcome returning & new swappers!!!! Invite your buddies, too!!! Plenty of time to sign up!!! Yeah, Pinkflower!!!!
PM me to sign up! Would love to get 8 more swappers to even it out!
I use scraps, yardage, FQs, & fussy cut some cute pics. Your choice!!!
sisterly hugs,
dj