Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Basement Sewing Rooms

My sewing room is half the basement. I love it. It's quiet, no body bothers me.

I am very slowly setting up my basement sewing room. I do have overhead lights as well as an Ott floor lamp and several clip on lights. The basement has been waterproofed and has waterproof finishing walls.
    I have purchased cabinets w/ doors for fabric storage and used existing metal shelves we had with clear plastic totes for misc scraps (color co-ordinated) laces trims ect.
    We still need to do larger 18" carpet squares that are for commercial use. As far as uneven floors there is a liquid you can pour on cement floors that will run into pools to fill unevenness.
    DH made me a revolving pegboard for an additional 8 ft of notion wall space. He used 4x8 sheet pegboard made frame for it 2ft wide x4 sides and 8' high with revolving base. It tucks into a corner just make sure you leave enough turning room.
    I have 4 sewing areas and kept my old dining room table for cutting. That is 40" w and opens to 8 ft. I love the large work surfaces.
    My bonus is my little house (all 1000 sq ft) is pretty tidy now and we can actually eat in dining room.
    dawn227
    Last edited by Dawn227; 08-26-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have my sewing space in the unfinished basement of our house. I keep a dehumidifier on all year round. I keep my fabric in storage bins and lately canvas shelve boxes. i do need to use a space heater during the winter at times or if it gets too cold I can't sew down there. I always have a hand project for sitting up with the family but my downstairs space is my mental health away from watching too many reality shows like Storage wars andthe like. Good luck in your move It is beautiful country out there. From Pittsburgh PA

Hummmm I am in the basement and love it... it's just my husband and me and he's doing something else... . but I have a walk out basement. and steps on the outside leading to my quilt room... i can see outside and have a great view.. everything is downstairs and no quilting upstairs i like that. All my friends know I'm probably downstairs and I have a TV and my cell phone... I love it!!! Besides makes me move around more and come upstairs for lunch , dinner etc....
    judy
    Judy
    Quilters come with strings attached.

My studio is in our basement, but our basement is only 3 feet in the ground resulting in full sized windows all around!! It is not damp nor musky, but bright and sunny! With a new cream colored porcelain tile floor covering the entire space, 15 yards of Ikea fabric complete the projects including window shades, slipcovered chairs and ottoman. My sectional sofa is light cream. It's come together so beautifully. Only thing is I must keep my studio neat as it is open to the rest of the area. I've made it a huge family room, game table area and full quilting studio. Life is good when you have a basement!!

Just a note: WE LOVE Storage Wars too!! On a recent day in NYC to see Ground Zero, my husband and I ran into Dave Hester ("Yuuupppp!!!!") He was strolling through Little Italy when we spotted him. We stopped to chat and take photos - he was very friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfosa421 View Post
    I have my sewing space in the unfinished basement of our house. I keep a dehumidifier on all year round. I keep my fabric in storage bins and lately canvas shelve boxes. i do need to use a space heater during the winter at times or if it gets too cold I can't sew down there. I always have a hand project for sitting up with the family but my downstairs space is my mental health away from watching too many reality shows like Storage wars andthe like. Good luck in your move It is beautiful country out there. From Pittsburgh PA

Not to be negative but I find basements to be dark, damp and they can have a musty odor.So like some one mentioned besure to check that the home you're buying has a dry basement room. It would not be good for you to spend hours in a musty room and your fabrics might get ruined too. That said I think it would be awesome to have your own studio. I have had one for the last three years above the garage and I really enjoy it. for me it is like having my own quilt retreat area in my own home. My kids and hubby like visiitng me in the studio too so I am not alone.
    Anna Quilts

I have a walkout basement, lucky to have double doors and two large windows. I love having my own little get away in our home!

Junior Member CountryHouseQuilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When we first bought our house, our basement was unfinished. My DS, his friend and my DH set about framing it, insulating and sheetrocking it. I primed and painted everything and it was to be the "man cave". It is a huge basement, with a big storage area to boot. I requested an area for my table and machine. It's a nice size area and I've purchased some antique armours and had my father refinish them and fit them with shelves. I have a dehumidifier in the summer (which helps keep the basement cool) and we installed a pellet stove which I fire up in the winter when I'm downstairs.

The club room portion has a bar, pool table (when covered I put my huge cutting mat on it and use it for a cutting table). There are a couple couches, and I have 3 small tables with chairs. Every other Wednesday night I have anywhere from 4 to 11 women in my basement quilting. It's a great space, with lots of uses, but mostly it's my quilting hide-away.

I enjoy being in the basement quilting. If I'm upstairs where DH or DD can see me they are always wanting me to do things for them. When I go down the stairs, they leave me alone. There is an unwritten rule about that...LOL. Oh, and DH gets his "man cave" back when we do football stuff or have parties. So it's a double duty area.
    The trouble with Trouble is.....It usually starts out like fun!!

www.countryhousequilting.blogspot.com

My studio is a converted (empty nest) bedroom and I love it. Unlike many here I like closing the door and putting on my music and NOT being with everyone. I like to be alone and do my own thing without interruptions when I am working on my quilts.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I have toyed w/ how to move my sewing area upstairs to my guest bedroom when I no longer need it to be a guest room....but then, I look at the space I have in the basement.....I'll stay in the basement!! I am thankful that it is dry down there - the only problem I have is to figure out how to keep it warm in the winter w/out it costing me 2 arms and 2 legs...
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    I live in Northern California and have my sewing studio in the basement..................I do have some windows as it was originally a carport under the house......I did have to install good lighting. The plus side, is I have this hugh space which has allowed me to set up two areas, one for fusing, and collage work, the other for a cutting table. I also have room for two seperate sewing stations. The down side, it does isolate me from the rest of the house but I try to save my handwork for "upstairs"................
    Laugh, Love and Quilt

Basement Sewing Room

It's was good to read all the coments from those of you who have your sewing rooms in the basement, because I have been thinking of moving my sewing room down to the basement bedroom which is is about the same size, right now it's in the spare bedroom on the main floor of our house and I do love it, but when we have company, which isn't very often I feel bad that they have to sleep in the basement, our basement is only partially finished with a partially finished bathroom at the opposite end from the bedrooms.
    My other reason for thinking of moving my sewing room downstairs is because, my Dad just passed away this past winter and my Mom is still in her own house, which is about 1 hour away from me and I would love for her to be able to come stay with us for a week or more, but she is in her late 80's and it's hard for her to go up and down the stairs, plus I don't want her to have to go up and down the stairs.
    I am still trying to decide what to do, and I have lots to think about before I decide, but I thank-you for all the coments, and good luck to you WA Vet and your decision on moving your sewing room to the basement.... also I'd love to see pictures of some of your basement sewing rooms.
    GwenH

We are thinking about finishing the basement and making sure to provide lots of light and whatever else might be necessary to make it work. For right now, I had just best enjoy the sewing room / office I have, until we move! We shall see what happens. I thank each and every one of you for you suggestions.

I live in a story and half log home with a walk out basement under it. I have my quilting machine in the basement and my sewing room on the second story of the house. I like it that way because I like the additional exercise it adds to my day.

However, I am claustrophobic and I can do okay in my basement. During the winter when hubby is in or while I am canning I move a portable machine down there if I am not quilting and sew just fine. I do have the added advantage of being married to an electrician. Lighting is never a problem.

My basement is dry and I never have a problem with mustiness. We do have a dehumidifier that runs in the summer. My basement floors are graded toward the drains (like all of them SHOULD be). We just leveled the frame for the machine on the floor where it stands. Mine is actually on rollers and stored against the wall but I pull it out to the same place always.

You really can make it work just fine. I am upstairs because I have room right now but I could easily work in the basement and do at times. Good luck with your new space!

Mine is in basement too. Have a dehumidifier going all summer long (could be because have fish tanks down there to. Plus son moved back in with his ferret and 90 gallon tank. We heat with outside wood furnace and have radiant heat and lines running on cellar ceiling which keeps upstairs and down toasty This spring painted walls and all new shelves and arrangement. Love the get away and stuff like ironing board and projects stay in waiting....

Blog Entries
    Not all basements are damp and or musty.

Even in the Pacific Northwest.

Our house is 45+ years old and has never had either a humidifier or dehumidifier running in it. The basement is about 4 feet underground with windows (ground level on the outside) on each side.

My sewing room is in the basement on the NW corner of out house. The window only gets direct sun about 3 months of the year. I have great lighting and am warm and dry in there. I have no worries about damp or mustiness.

I have my sewing studio in our basement. It is the biggest of the four bedrooms in the house. I had to wait for the last kid to move out and I was in there! Course another one came back from college to finish school here....didn't give up my studio though....we stuck her in the other downstairs bedroom. Now another kid is home so we can help them to understand how to raise a kid....wow.....put them in the other room since the college kid moved back out. I have managed to keep the studio as mine. We just stick the kids in the guest room. I am using my rec room as the temporary guest room.
    My studio is 11x18 and houses all my fabric, all of my sewing machines except the antique ones, my quilt frame, and all my extras; supplies and such. I also have an upstairs sewing area with a large sewing desk. It sits right in front of a large window that faces a field of cows....talk about relaxing!
    I do most of my sewing upstairs as I like to be around the doors and such for when the dogs bark, someone knocks.....I do my quilting downstairs. I also have my "creative moments" (matching fabrics...TV watching) in my sewing studio.
    Proud Navy Mom!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChatterBugQuilts?ref=pr_shop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3