Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Basement Sewing Rooms

I am so happy I asked you all my question and even happier with your responses! My DH and I have been empty nesters for a few years now and I currently have a combination quilting room and office, with a corner for my elliptical. We never thought we would consider moving, however a one-story house is what we have been looking for and what we were able to find. We will be downsizing is so many ways. If all works out we will be moving from our 3,400 square foot home to one that is just over 1,900. The excitement of cleaning a smaller home is just positively overwhelming to me! None of my friends sew (unbelievable, right?) so asking them sewing room questions would have been fruitless. Your ideas make me look forward to whatever comes my way with my future sewing space(s). Thank you.
    Last edited by WA Vet; 08-23-2012 at 07:42 AM.

I love going to "my" basement. Our daughter left for Grad school a couple of months ago and now my Husband and I each have our own space. I don't have to worry about my projects being in somebody's way or having to put them away when somebody comes over. Our basement is very dry and I have my TV and computer down there too. I know we will have to downsize the house at some point but I know he will always make sure I have my sewing world as a separate space.

Quote Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
    I just don't want to have to go to the basement to sew. I want to be upstairs with everyone else. So, consequently, I don't have a big sewing space.

Our house in the Turtle Mtn's on the farm, I was in a walk out basement, lot's of light, and when I went to do laundry, I did my sewing/quilting. Then we moved to SW North Dakota, and the first place was small and I had the 2 largest bedroom - no way could I get everything in, course after 2 weeks, I quit un-packing and my DH agreed, we sold that, we moved into a larger home and I am more than happy to be in the basement, course like before, I do laundry, I stay and do my sewing/quilting. Loads of light and I have half of it with a door to close off to unwanted visitors. Just moved in over New Years, and yes, I am still unpacking and re-arranging as I go. I plan on purchasing some cedar chips and other things to help with any dampness that might occur.
    And my childhood friends and I have dub it "the Henhouse" and my DH has is extra large "Mancave" with Tv on wall, and I wouldn't be surprized if doesn't get carpet in his TV area this fall.
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

Quote Originally Posted by WA Vet View Post
    I am new to this board and want to ask you all, how many of you wonderful quilters have your quilting/sewing rooms in the basement? There is a possibility in the not too distant future that we will be moving from California to Washington and the only logical option for my new creative space will be the basement. Thank you.

When I read your post and then noticed where you live, of course the first thing that popped into my mind was of course earthquakes. I'm weird that way. lol
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

I have my space in the basement and I love it. LOVE IT! It is never too hot or too cold. My laundry is in the basement as well so we will finally have laundry done on time since I am in the basement all the time. THe only thing that worries me is that my other hoby is also in the basemet - pottery. I better be careful not to spray muddy water on my UFOs. All the fabrics are in plastic shoe boxes, just in case. My husband's hobby area is also in the basement so we are pretty content to escape to our sanctuary when kids drive us crazy.
    I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me
    The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me
    I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose
    I've been battered, but I'll never bruise

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinglady-1 View Post
    When I read your post and then noticed where you live, of course the first thing that popped into my mind was of course earthquakes. I'm weird that way. lol
    I have lived in California for 27 years and NEVER worry about earthquakes. I have only experienced short - minor to intermediate quakes during all these years. You are too funny! However, it is always interesting to see how people from other states view California.

Being in Texas, I have never seen a basement. But I do have to have windows to see out. Each morning I go about the entire house and open all the blinds to let the light in. I think I would get claustrophobic in an enclosed room. My house isn't large enough for a dedicated sewing room, so I have commandeered our guest room for setting up my quilt frames, they straddle the guest bed, and a card table set up against the wall holds my sewing machine. When I need to iron and cut, I use a table in my utility room. I get great light there as the back door exits that roon and it has a glass storm door on it. This also enables (forces) me to get up and down frequently when I am piecing which is better than setting for long hours at a stretch. I hope your basement works out for you.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Would it be possible to put another 'room' in the basement, and you take one of the rooms upstairs for your sewing room? Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by WA Vet View Post
    Yes, this is my worry as I too want to be with everyone.

It appears that everything is possible. DH is looking at building a shop with an attached quilting studio.

My longarm studio is in the basement....sewing studio is on the main floor. I am blessed with huge windows in both. What I prefer about the basement is that there is more wall space to hang finished projects and keep me inspired and surrounded by the things I love!
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

You may need a dehumidifier in a basement sewing room. Probably let it run for a few weeks before moving in a sewing room. Probably a carpet for the floor for warmth.

I would recommend making sure there is no dampness. I knew a lady whose sewing machine started getting rusty because of a closed in damp basement. I don't know what metal the internal parts of machines are made of.

I have had my sewing room in our basement for 5 years and just love it. I painted the walls a soft yellow and have good lighting in the ceiling. (No windows) I have speakers from the "Man Cave" area so I can listen to the CD's whenever I want. I always sew my bindings on by hand, so I do that when I am in the main living space with DH. I love being able to just shut the door and not worry about my organized mess! I hope you love your sewing room no matter where you put it.
    Sophie2

Blog Entries
    Mine is in the basement and i love love love it, no one will bother me, but its just me and the hubbs anyway, he installed a bunch of flouresent lights for me, and i do have two windows, i would say the basement is about 3/4 underground and is very dry. I like it to because in the summer its the coolest place to be and in the winter is the warmest, even the floor, which has no carpert, but i like it that way. And all the room in the world.
    Mary

I had a basement sewing space in my last house and loved it. No worry about cleaning up - ever! and the dogs liked to hang out with me there. Though I had a window, added one big florescent light over head, and it was fine. I use an upstairs bedroom now, but it's carpeted and I really prefer the basement spot.

I have had sewing rooms in different houses so some have had to be in the basement by necessity. I like having a larger space to spread out my "stuff" but now I am on the main floor and like that too.

I agree with the others, just keep an eye out for moisture and enjoy. We had a basement at our old house, don't miss the stairs, but it sure was nice to shut the door when company came over!... Good luck and enjoy!.............
    Country 1

This is my basement sewing room. I love it! It is 12'X17' I am able to have my quilting frame set up at all times. The side of the room not shown has 2 double sized closets for fabric storage. I have never had an issue with anything being damp or wet. I think that depends on the basement. I lived in So Cal most of my life and was thrilled to have a basement in this house. My husband did a great job with the lighting and I never think it is too dark.

Name:  SAM_2017small.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  43.7 KB

sew4nin - If you did not tell me your sewing room was in your basement, I never would have guessed. It is definitely bright, organized and welcoming. I love it!

Since I have a machine quilter and a sewing table, I have my sewing room in the basement. I am lucky enough that 1/2 of the basement, yep 1/4 of the whole house is my sewing room. I know some people want to be with everybody else but in the basement it's my space. I can listen to music without bothering others, be messy if I want and not worry about company seeing it and have my UFO's strung out all over so that I know they need to be finished. We planned for the amount of space I needed when buying a house.

What a fantastic space! I love the peg board. I wonder if there is a way to hang thread on pegboard?

I don't have a basement but if I did I would need to have windows that gave me plenty of light, light colored walls and maybe an area rug or carpet to designate my space but most of all that it wasn't damp.

I actually do hang thread on the pegboard. A 4" hook works great to keep thread for current projects in reach. I also have a 4" peg that holds my full bobbins of gray.
    Quote Originally Posted by krisekeler View Post
    What a fantastic space! I love the peg board. I wonder if there is a way to hang thread on pegboard?

My sewing "studio" is in the basement. This is our third house where I have it there; never any room upstairs, and I must say that I like that I can leave works in progress around and not worry about the mess. I tend not to clean up until a project is finished, and since a project can take me a looong time to finish, I can just walk away and leave it until next time.
    This basement (and my first one) is unfinished. (The second house had a beautiful finished area and I had a huge alcove with lots of light.)
    I have put old rugs on the cement floor for beauty and comfort, I have corkboards stuck the cement wall for my inspiration board, and I stapled extra fabric to the wooden studs (where drywall would go) and I pin things to the fabric "wall" (blocks in progress, instructions, mini quilts, etc).
    I have plastic storage carts under my sewing/cutting/work table (a plastic folding table).
    I have a large clip on shop-light style light clamped to a ceiling stud, which gives me extra light, and a have an Ott floor lamp next to my machine which I pull over and aim wherever I need it.
    I have an ironing board (wish it was bigger) next to my sewing and cutting area.
    I also have some old cabinets with doors, from Ikea, which we used for our kids' games and toys when they were younger, which houses my fabric, batting, scraps, books, etc.
    The basement also has our treadmill (which I really do use!), a TV and Wii, pingpong table, games, and all that extraneous basement "stuff" that doesn't fit in the rest of the house.
    Yes, my sewing area is opposite the oil burner and the heating unit, which can be noisy, but it is cool in summer and warm in winter. We do have a dehumidifier there, but we really don't need it. It is never damp and we don't have a water problem. (spit 3x)
    I will try to put up some pictures of it. I love my "studio" and enjoy working there. I do feel like I am apart from the family when I am down there, but sometimes a short time away lets me recharge and then come back up. And sometimes, the kids or my DH come down to watch TV or play games there, so although it is unfinished, it is an extra family room.

My sewing space is in the basement, and it does get lonely down there. But I have extra seating down there so when I am down there for a while my son will sometimes come and chat with me. I have lots of extra lighting and glass block windows. I think the best investment will be to finish the ceiling, that will really make it feel more like a room. We also have painted the walls white.
    The biggest plus is that I never have to clean it up! The only time it is seen is on the way to the laundry, and you can guess who makes that trip most often!
    Last edited by OHSue; 08-25-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast