Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: bed runners

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian
    I found a book for Bed Runners designs by Kathy Brown - there are 10 different designs. This was published by House of White Birches. Think Clotilde has it, have had it a while so I really don't remember where I picked it up at. They are on my to do list.
    Thanks! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian
    I found a book for Bed Runners designs by Kathy Brown - there are 10 different designs. This was published by House of White Birches. Think Clotilde has it, have had it a while so I really don't remember where I picked it up at. They are on my to do list.
    Thanks! :thumbup:
    By the way, can I add my "to do" list to yours because if I work 24/7 for the next 20 years I'll never get them all done!! But, isn't it great to have a great passion!!!

The nicer hotels have been using these for years over a white duvet. They're classy. I have always called them scarves rather than runners, but either way, they dress up a bed without all the work that goes into a full size quilt.
    They are about 2 ft. by the width of the bed with a drop of about 18 inches on each side. In other words.........measure the width of the bed and add 3 ft.

I am in the process of making one. Have most of the blocks done just need to put them together. Also planning on making pillow shams to match. Mine is a Log Cabin. Will try to attach (I'm still learning how to do that).
    I think Clotilde has a book available for making bed runners.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by num1momva
    I am in the process of making one. Have most of the blocks done just need to put them together. Also planning on making pillow shams to match. Mine is a Log Cabin. Will try to attach (I'm still learning how to do that).
    I think Clotilde has a book available for making bed runners.
    Please, please, please...post picture when finished. It's going to beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
    Here are two links to two different bed runners that are currently available. HTH

http://www.crookednickel.com/patterns_kits.html#
    Scroll down to 'Points of Interest' for the bedrunner.

http://search.nancysnotions.com/?q=b...er&sp_cs=UTF-8
    Thank you SO much. Have been to Nancy's but never to the Crooked Nickel and it's such a cool site!
    Have you checked out Connecting Threads for a pattern?

I think that we are SABLE....Stash accumulated beyond life expectantcy............ :-)

Blog Entries
    Are bed or table runners pattern necessary? :roll:
    There's a thread where we posted some pics.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
    Here are two links to two different bed runners that are currently available. HTH

http://www.crookednickel.com/patterns_kits.html#
    Scroll down to 'Points of Interest' for the bedrunner.

http://search.nancysnotions.com/?q=b...er&sp_cs=UTF-8
    Thank you SO much. Have been to Nancy's but never to the Crooked Nickel and it's such a cool site!
    Have you checked out Connecting Threads for a pattern?
    No, but I will. Thanks! I bought and made their Bow Tucks purse pattern and the purse went together flawlessly and I still get compliments on the fabric choices from their site.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Duncan
    I think that we are SABLE....Stash accumulated beyond life expectantcy............ :-)
    :-P :-) :lol: Oh...I LIKE that one! Have a better than average, wonderful day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Duncan
    :-P :-) :lol: Oh...I LIKE that one! Have a better than average, wonderful day!

Will do.

I like the idea of a bed runner (maybe Christmas gifts!) -- the book sounds interesting though

I've been thinking of doing a couple of bed runners, and have looked through my table runner patterns and thought I could just add more blocks to the ones I like to lengthen and widen them to make a bed runner. I guess I'm just too "thrifty" to go out and buy another pattern or quilting book, especially when the price of gas for the car is over $4.00 a gallon here in Nevada.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nevrn
    I've been thinking of doing a couple of bed runners, and have looked through my table runner patterns and thought I could just add more blocks to the ones I like to lengthen and widen them to make a bed runner. I guess I'm just too "thrifty" to go out and buy another pattern or quilting book, especially when the price of gas for the car is over $4.00 a gallon here in Nevada.
    Know what you mean. Ours here in Ohio ranges from $4.05 to $4.19. Since we live in the country it's almost cheaper to buy the book on line and the postage is often less than the gas it would take me to go to another town to buy the book.

Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nevrn
    That's my thought as well, use a pattern from a table runner. Or one could just decide how wide you want it and how far up the bed and make a mini quilt, unless you had to have a specific pattern that you wanted to use. I can't see why any quilt pattern wouldn't work. It would work the same I would think, just finish it off like any other quilt or wall hanging. I can't see spending the extra $$ for a book. I haven't made one yet but thought about it and that is how I would do it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63
    i actually make nap or twin size quilts about 65x80 that lay across the entire top of our king size bed. Some times they hang over and other only cover the top. I have a king size ivory colored bedspread and I pained the walls ivory. The "coverlet" is larger that bed runner and can be used as a quilt to cover up with. It is cheaper and quicker to make that king size quilt . I usually make this size and then I can change bedroom colors easily. Most quilt patterns come with directions for smaller sizes so choose your favorite pattern and get sewing!!! No need to buy seperate patterns for bed runners.
    Since I also have a king size bed, your idea sounds really good, but when I mentioned it to DH, he said "I'm not going to spend my night fighting a large bedspread and a quilt that might fall off because it's too small" There are times........ :!: :!:

Blog Entries
    Thats what I mean.
    In my opinion it is just a row of blocks. Choose the block, define its size, row lenght and borders if any. I'm sure anyone can made loads of it just browsing their books, magazines and quilters cache site. It can even put a good use to orphan blocks. Sometimes we buy a book just to find out we had already the contents.
    Having the possibilities you in the US have on garage sales, craig list, etc, I'd hardly buy new books. Kaffe Fasset quilts for instance showcase fabric on simple traditional block patterns.

Blog Entries
    I have a book called Toppers by Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith. Written in 1998, it has toppers for the foot of the bed and toppers for over the pillows. Published by Possibilities. The website is possibilitiesquilt.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peabee
    watched the crooked nickel video. question on using fusible grid. can you wash the bed runner after using these fusibles? will it bunch?
    Good question...I don't know...I'm thinking that the fusible must be extremely light weight and will stay fused to the fabric. I was, also, wondering if it then becomes hard to hand quilt or if the fusible is a detriment to machine quilting in so far as adhering to the needle. Anyone out there have any answeres?
    You can quilt right through the super light weight fusible by hand or by machine. It is a little bit thicker but not too bad. I quilted by hand. The light fusible didn't pucker much at all but I did pre-wash all of my fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose L
    Quote Originally Posted by peabee
    watched the crooked nickel video. question on using fusible grid. can you wash the bed runner after using these fusibles? will it bunch?
    Good question...I don't know...I'm thinking that the fusible must be extremely light weight and will stay fused to the fabric. I was, also, wondering if it then becomes hard to hand quilt or if the fusible is a detriment to machine quilting in so far as adhering to the needle. Anyone out there have any answeres?
    You can quilt right through the super light weight fusible by hand or by machine. It is a little bit thicker but not too bad. I quilted by hand. The light fusible didn't pucker much at all but I did pre-wash all of my fabrics.
    Thanks for your input. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeClan
    I have a book called Toppers by Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith. Written in 1998, it has toppers for the foot of the bed and toppers for over the pillows. Published by Possibilities. The website is possibilitiesquilt.com
    I have that one also...it's been a good one!! Somewhere in my jungle that I call a sewing room is another book called "Bedwarmers" which uses the same idea.

Blog Entries
    Toppers are great for those of us that have cold feet at night but don't need full coverage from a quilt.

I just finished my first. It is 24" wide and 63" long. I made it for my grandson's room at my house. It is a pirate theme runner with pockets in the portion that lays down the sides. In the pockets I will have a book or two and toys. I am next making runners for all the beds with Christmas Themes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast