Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: bed runners

Amazing how many of us think alike. I decided a while ago I was going to buy a neutral spread (I know, I could make it but I'm not because there is only so much time and I want to make the fun stuff) and make runners for several reasons: time, cost savings, the ability to have more variety, etc. Love the curtain idea posted too. I've got several bed quilt patterns that I can adapt to runner size. We put a sheet on top of our bed now because of our 2 beagle/rat terriers. They sleep in their "condo pen" at night, but like to survey their world from the vantage point of the bed during the day. Any runner I make will need to be able to stand up to frequent washings.

What is a bed runner?

I just made my first bed runner. I just used a quitl square pattern and then quilted. I love the idea that I can change my room several times a year. I made the bed shawl and then several new pillows and it look great. With the high price of fabric it is a great idea.

I made this from laural burch's dancing horses - very bright colors. Used QAYG method - I love it. Will definitely make another - when I do will make it longer.

bed runner
    Name:  Attachment-192143.jpe
Views: 40
Size:  44.4 KB

I made this from laural burch's dancing horses - very bright colors. Used QAYG method - I love it. Will definitely make another - when I do will make it longer.

bed runner
    Name:  Attachment-192144.jpe
Views: 38
Size:  44.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Para722
    I just made my first bed runner. I just used a quitl square pattern and then quilted. I love the idea that I can change my room several times a year. I made the bed shawl and then several new pillows and it look great. With the high price of fabric it is a great idea.
    :thumbup:

I think they are so versatile (sp?) - you can take a neutral spread (and bed skirt) and dress it up with just the runner - any time you want to brighten up your room or take it to a little different dimention/seasoning effect. How quick to change from Fall to Spring - - - or just a different color this week/month. I think they are a great idea!

Marysewfun

great job shufer1 !

I personally think they are useless. I really like the whole quilt on the bed.Just my preference. But, I just had a customer that wanted me to cut up a twin comforter and make 2 bed runners. They came out really nice. I made them 24" by whatever the width of it was.I put new piping on them to finish.And I think matching pillow shams or toss pillows would look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie
    This is probably "WA_A_A_AY" out there but, for myself, if I use the idea of changing the bedroom colors from time to time, I'm, also, thinking about adding a coordinating strip maybe 2" in from the front edges on my white curtains and attaching it with snaps (?), velcro (?), buttons (now THERE's a thought)and the strip could be changed periodically as well as the bed runner and pillow cases
    That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

I made a runner out of yo-yo's. Love that I only need to change the bottom quilt to get a new look and when I am tired of it - pillows! It gets folded in half and laid across the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
    Here are two links to two different bed runners that are currently available. HTH

http://www.crookednickel.com/patterns_kits.html#
    Scroll down to 'Points of Interest' for the bedrunner.

http://search.nancysnotions.com/?q=b...er&sp_cs=UTF-8
    There is also the Bali Wedding Star available as a bed runner, and the use of bed runners is an "in" thing to see in hotels. Coordinating drapes sounds like a good idea.

oh I am so in trouble, I checked the link for crookednickel and fell in love with the runners - geez, now I have to make one - my "to do" list just got extended by one!

This is probably "WA_A_A_AY" out there but, for myself, if I use the idea of changing the bedroom colors from time to time, I'm, also, thinking about adding a coordinating strip maybe 2" in from the front edges on my white curtains and attaching it with snaps (?), velcro (?), buttons (now THERE's a thought)and the strip could be changed periodically as well as the bed runner and pillow cases
    whoa. You are sounding really really organized. Must be something in the air. lol.

THERE IS ALSO A BOOK "BED RUNNERS" I GOT ON AMAZON.COM WITH 10 PATTERNS

This pretty much what mine looks like only I keep the nutreal bedspred all the time and change the quilt top with all my favorite quilts!!!!

I think the bed runners are just a little bit trendy, but I love them. Like you said, you can update your decor with just a little change, and they really are fun to make

love this idea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflies5518
    I made a runner out of yo-yo's. Love that I only need to change the bottom quilt to get a new look and when I am tired of it - pillows! It gets folded in half and laid across the bottom.
    Absolutely stunning. I'm jealous. I started one once but it just didn't go fast enough for me. You have great patience :thumbup:

thanks, working on a new yo-yo, quilt/runner, cover of American Patchwork and Quilting June 2011.

sorry, double post

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeClan
    I have a book called Toppers by Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith. Written in 1998, it has toppers for the foot of the bed and toppers for over the pillows. Published by Possibilities. The website is possibilitiesquilt.com
    I have that book too...guess it is time to get it back out!
    I always love the Possibilities books...so many projects in their books!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
    Has anyone seen the new pattern book called, "Make Your Bed" by Leslee Evans on www.amazon.com? I've never made one but, looking at all the options (click on all the thumbnails and then zoom)I can see why it would be easy to change your room decor several times during the year if you so chose. Plus it takes far less fabric than a full quilt, is decorative in the summer if placed over a light weight white (or color of your choice) spread and takes up very little storage space. I suppose I could figure out how to make one without a pattern but LOVED the patterns in the book. :-D
    I love the idea and have seen patterns for them that I would love to do. However, my bed runner is golden in colour and very hairy! See my avatar!

:P
    Hmmm I seem to have that same problem Barbara x's 2

Forgive me if I oversimplify but could you not use any pattern that you love and make a bed runner? You have your bed and just make as many blocks to fit. I really don't need any more books since my shelves are over flowing! Maybe I need to build a library! LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by num1momva
    Forgive me if I oversimplify but could you not use any pattern that you love and make a bed runner? You have your bed and just make as many blocks to fit. I really don't need any more books since my shelves are over flowing! Maybe I need to build a library! LOL
    He, he.....perhaps! I agree that you could do that but, at my age, time is of the essence! :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't want to task my brain with mathematics. At any rat, I, also, loved the pillow treatments in that book so, for me, it's worth waiting for.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast