Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4
Results 76 to 87 of 87

Thread: check out those thrift stores

  1. #76
    Senior Member MisDixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hay River NWT Canada
    Posts
    706
    I have a funny story for you all!

    I live in a very small town and we have a great thrift shop run by our Anglican Church. At one time, in the 90's I had them save me silk dress shrits to do a paper peiced wall quilt I wanted to do. (Sadly a ufo, my bad)
    So a few years back I was sending some sewing and quilting stuff their way. My yearly summmer got to clear some of this stuff out.
    Later on that fall I dropped in to have a look around, and one of our ladies was so happy to see me, they had saved a box of stuff for me!

    Yep you guessed it, all my stuff save for me! We had a good laugh!

  2. #77
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MisDixie View Post
    I have a funny story for you all!

    I live in a very small town and we have a great thrift shop run by our Anglican Church. At one time, in the 90's I had them save me silk dress shrits to do a paper peiced wall quilt I wanted to do. (Sadly a ufo, my bad)
    So a few years back I was sending some sewing and quilting stuff their way. My yearly summmer got to clear some of this stuff out.
    Later on that fall I dropped in to have a look around, and one of our ladies was so happy to see me, they had saved a box of stuff for me!

    Yep you guessed it, all my stuff save for me! We had a good laugh!
    How nice of them to think of you!!! Thanks for the giggle!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  3. #78
    Power Poster JuneBillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    11,488
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love going to the thrift stores.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

    Susan

  4. #79
    Super Member craftiladi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nv.
    Posts
    2,226
    Blog Entries
    1

    Dee's Delights

    Oh a subject I love....more like obsessed. I love to re-purpose stuff. My whole sewing rm is just about all thrift/yard sales, after all its a hobby so my intention when I moved my ladies cave from a small bedrm to the once never used formal living rm I needed to be creative, its changed a few times over the last couple years but I think I got it now-lol well until I find something I just can't live with out-lol

    Not a great pic, grainy phone pic-sorry. I was going to show more but its not letting me. The red hutch was a curbside find, the long buffet cabinet was 8.00 Goodwill, the sewing table was a old ugly one my MIL had, painted blk to match, the wicker shelves-hmm I have been hauling those around for so long I don't remember, they have been repainted so many times...Spray Paint is my love. Love my thrift store finds....1904 singer 40.00 , 1948 singer 25.00 yd sale,1927 New Home 10.00, 2 Singers 401 & 403A less then 150.00 for both and they have cams. Singer 99-31 40.00, and my pride & joy 1891 coffin Top Treadle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

  5. #80
    Super Member craftiladi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nv.
    Posts
    2,226
    Blog Entries
    1

    More of Dee's Delights

    Hmm for some reason I was able to upload more then one pic this time....oh well here's more of the rm I spend the most time in.Thanks for looking and the topic.
    Attached Images Attached Images



    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

  6. #81
    Super Member tlambing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,311
    Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
    Hmm for some reason I was able to upload more then one pic this time....oh well here's more of the rm I spend the most time in.Thanks for looking and the topic.
    Omg, I am in love with your roll organization system! I really need something like that! What a great idea. Your room looks fantastic, I love your bright colors, we could be besties thanks so much for sharing your pics.

  7. #82
    Super Member craftiladi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nv.
    Posts
    2,226
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tlambing View Post
    Omg, I am in love with your roll organization system! I really need something like that! What a great idea. Your room looks fantastic, I love your bright colors, we could be besties thanks so much for sharing your pics.
    Thanks for your nice comment.
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

  8. #83
    Power Poster earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    10,297
    Oh Dee....you certainly work magic with your finds. What a fantastic room....you are a natural when it comes to interior design. Must admit I have only recently "discovered" spray paint....I went nuts with it outside...painted an old wheelbarrow magenta and filled with potting mix and flowers, painted up a pile of rusty wire hanging baskets and gave an old wrought iron plant-stand a new lease on life. Now for the inside

  9. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Shaver Lake, Ca
    Posts
    12
    Thanks for the info on the industrial sewing machine.....I know where one is, going to check it out...

  10. #85
    Senior Member Lstew2212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Connellsville Pa
    Posts
    724
    My thrift stores don't have much in the way of sewing items, I have been collecting men's ties to make quilt and I have been buying men's flannel shirts to make a quilt for my father. At an auction I bought a library table that my cutting mat fits the top perfectly. I also bought at an auction a box of sewing supplies. It had various items such as buttons, zippers, thread, snaps, etc. I thought that was a great buy because it was like Christmas going through that box. Such fun. I also love yard sales. A woman was selling her fabric stash, mostly scraps, but well worth the find. At another yard sale I bought squares of a quilt with Sun Bonnet Sue on them. I had to cut the Sun Bonnet Sue off the squares as the background fabric was stained, but I have them ready to put on my own back ground fabric. I guess when you think of it I have made some good purchases.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

  11. #86
    Super Member craftiladi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nv.
    Posts
    2,226
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
    Oh Dee....you certainly work magic with your finds. What a fantastic room....you are a natural when it comes to interior design. Must admit I have only recently "discovered" spray paint....I went nuts with it outside...painted an old wheelbarrow magenta and filled with potting mix and flowers, painted up a pile of rusty wire hanging baskets and gave an old wrought iron plant-stand a new lease on life. Now for the inside
    Yes spray paint is our friend...lol thanks for your nice reply.
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

  12. #87
    Senior Member virgwid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Roanoke Texas
    Posts
    411
    Thank you so much for sharing your pictures. I just posted a query for ideas for my new sewing room and right away I see your picture with the repurposed cd/dvd holder. I have one that my son left in my new room, so I was going to claim it but didn't know what to do with it. Problem solved, and more plastic saved from landfill. Thanks! Virg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.