Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Closet organization - what does yours look like?

Closet organization - what does yours look like?

My husband is helping me get my sewing room organized. He typically adds shelving to our closets. I can't seem to decide what would work best, since we're starting from scratch.

I've even considered using cube units from Target, just not sure if open shelving or cubes would work better.

How do you have your closet or storage organized? Pictures would be great! I'm definitely more visual...
    Dawn

Here's mine. I rearrange it to suit what I have.Name:  sew closet l.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  92.2 KBName:  sew closet r.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  58.9 KB l
    Left and right side of double mirrored slider closet. Left side is a really large bookcase and the right side is an ikea cube I bought used.

I have modified an existing closet that has bifold doors and a hanging rod with a shelf above that. I used three sets of those plastic drawer units that have wheels (I didn't use the wheels). I put a shelf plank under them for even support. Then I put another plank/shelf across the top of them for stability. On top of this area I have stackable boxes of projects to one side and on the other side a stack of boxes with a flip lid (that used to hold chocolate bars for kids to sell) - these ones hold my fat quarter collection. In the middle of this area I have iris boxes stacked for collections of fabrics or in progress projects. This fills the area below the upper shelf. I took down the hanging rod as I had no use for it. On the upper shelf I put yardage, mostly organized by theme or type. This is in shoe box sized clear containers so I can see it. In the drawer units I have various things stored in the individual drawers - one for pre cuts, one for larger scraps (the smaller scraps go elsewhere), supplies such as zippers, buttons, purse hardware etc.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

I have way too much stuff to put in a closet. Currently, a double closet and single closet in the adjoining bathroom are full of yardage hanging on hangers roughly organized by color and fabric type. All my smaller cuts are in plastic boxes on shelves starting about 5 foot off the floor and going to the ceiling on 2 walls. I have some plastic frames with 4 slide out boxes holding small items on the lower shelf over my sewing machines. In addition I have a wire basket set in a frame under my small cutting table the is packed with fabric. I like the way the it looks organized in a closet but I just don't have enough room.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I have open shelves in my closet. My fabric is all in plastic tubs, the med size ones. The big tubs are too big for the shelves and are too heavy with fabric added.
    Lori

Wow! y'all are so organized! I applaud and envy you! My stash (SABLE!!) is still all over the place.. closet, shelves, and floor!

I have the closet made systems in our closets and also the pantry. I like this system as you install the top rod across the width of closet. Then add the uprights that hold brackets and shelves. The shelves come in different depths. You can have the hardware guy to cut the shelves to length at the store. Just a note to take an inch off the width measurement so it will fit into the space easily.

These shelves are easy to change as storage needs change. The initial cost is approx $300 per closet. I never have to bother DH to change or move a shelf.

If you are installing this system into drywall, I recommend using wall anchors like this. If you need help or tips send me a pm.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/E-Z-Ancor-5...cluded/1098803

Here is a pic of the type I use.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMa...2845/206469229

I have a tiny closet which fits under the staircase...about 44" x 60". Bought two heavy duty shelf units from the hardware store and they fit in the closet L-shaped. My two extra sewing machines are on the bottom shelf to anchor them and my various quilt batting is on one unit of shelves and the other shelf unit is used for UFO'S that I found. I also have room for a few bolts of fabric and my spray starch bottles. All of my fabric is stored by color in two chest on chest dressers that sit in the sewing room.

Blog Entries
    This is my closet. I had the shelves built to accommodate the rolling drawer units that I already had. Shelves are adjustable so that my project boxes can fit without wasting space. I wanted a very small hanging rod to hang my hanging shoe organizer that I use to store stabilizers in.

Name:  IMG_3957.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  1.27 MB

Blog Entries
    I would do open shelves I love mine .

I bought two "Lowes metal utility shelves." Then there is a wood shelf across the top above the hanging rod of the closet (original to the closet).
    Carol

When I moved into my new abode, I had bins and bins of fabric that I stored in a double wide closet. My goal was/is to deplete my stash. It is now almost manageable. Your photos are an inspiration and I see what I need to make it easier to access my stash. Wannabee, your organization is amazing. How do you store scraps? I have a large bin of them and even though I use lots in my quilting, they seem to multiply.

Hint to those of you who have a massive stash: take a hard look at what you have. Will you really use that piece of fabric or is it something you just have had a long time? I did a good purge of fabric that I knew I would just not ever, ever use. I took it to my guild's quilt retreat and it all disappeared. It felt wonderful to be free of fabric that was just growing older and older. I can say that I have never missed it, not once. Worked for me.

I have a large double closet but my stuff is jammed all over. I need to find a way to organize it. The shelves are deep.
    Right now fabric is falling out to the floor when I'm looking for something.
    Thanks for starting this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I have a large double closet but my stuff is jammed all over. I need to find a way to organize it. The shelves are deep.
    Right now fabric is falling out to the floor when I'm looking for something.
    Thanks for starting this thread.
    Susie, How deep are the shelves? Deep shelves are difficult to arrange and items get lost in the back. Can the shelves be changed out? Mine are about 16 inches deep and that works well for using the ruler folding method or storing on boards.

You can do this!

PS: The pic posted by Wannabe would be a great idea for the deep shelves too!

WMUTeach, like you I purged and donated fabric I felt I would never use. This year I finally tackled the bag of scraps that I had accumulated over the past 35 years using Bonnie Hunter's method. I just revised that to 2 1/2" and 5" strips which I keep in the closet in tubs. All fabric between 1" and 2 1/2 " I keep in a tub in my sewing machine cabinet (in the hope that I will make a block or 2 in a lull).

I use 3 shallow book cases, one tall one and two short ones stacked up for my cotton fabric on bolts, comic book boards and half boards. Still need to add another shelf to the white book case. Directly in front of the tall book case is a stack of shoe box sized bins and the next size deeper for fabrics that have their own space like batiks, Christmas, baby, and sports. To the right of the book cases is a cheap small 4 shelf plastic unit that holds purse/bag fabric, garment fabric, a big bag of batting scraps, etc. The shelf above it all (that I raised up 13" so the book case would fit) holds batting, foam interfacing, my ribbon box, and other boxed items. The back of the door holds my stabilizer organizer. Everything else(FQ collection, fleece, flannel, etc.. is stored elsewhere.
    Name:  S5032942.JPG
Views: 490
Size:  120.0 KB

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    Susie, How deep are the shelves? Deep shelves are difficult to arrange and items get lost in the back. Can the shelves be changed out? Mine are about 16 inches deep and that works well for using the ruler folding method or storing on boards.

You can do this!

PS: The pic posted by Wannabe would be a great idea for the deep shelves too!
    Rhonda- thank you! I think there's hope After the holidays I'm going to get my husband in there (if he can find somewhere to walk) and have him modify them. They are deeper than 16 inches.
    One thought I had was to put my batting in the back of the shelves and then face them with my fabrics. We'll see.

Great idea Susie! Give a shout if you have questions.

Rhonda K- I could smack him! He told me he has a feeling no matter what he makes for me it won't be enough! haha!
    We read through this thread and some of the comments made us both laugh like crazy. He said he realizes there are a lot of people like me with all the fabric and notions etc.

Rhonda K- I could smack him! He told me he has a feeling no matter what he makes for me it won't be enough! haha!
    We read through this thread and some of the comments made us both laugh like crazy. He said he realizes there are a lot of people like me with all the fabric and notions etc.

LOL! Seriously, I need to have my hubby scroll through with me where there are pictures. I know he wonders WHY I want more than 1 sewing machine (and WHY I don't want to let go of a 3 vintage machines I have that I am not currently sewing on). I think he has finally accepted it, but he needs to see this is quite normal behavior for many who quilt/sew! hahaha!
    Dawn

Dawn, your post cracked me up! Yes, make him read this thread. He'll get it eventually haha

i made my husband read the roomba thread and then read the link to facebook that Cari put in. He cracked up and now knows why I'm on the computer so much.

Susie--try this: Do you have a spare room you could use as a staging area?

You gotta eat the elephant one bite at a time. Give your hubby a "Fork" and dig in. LOL

Take a "Before picture" (several actually) before you begin. Pics of areas around the room. Then take a pic of one--only one--area you want to declutter. Let's say a shelf, okay, since you mentioned how stuffed they are.

1. Pick a shelf and set a timer for 15 minutes. Clear that shelf off all at once and put the stuff in the other room. Do it fast. Sort it fast--Give every fabric a number of how much you love it, from 1-10. If it's not an 8,9,or 10, get rid of it. Put it in a black garbage bag labeled "DONATE." Don't overthink, you've got 15 minutes to "Lose weight". If it's not an 8,9 or 10 on the love scale, it never will be. We never fall more in love with a fabric. If you loved it at one time, give it a kiss or a pat, then send it to a new home for more love. Don't give it an Italian goodbye , just a quick peck.

2. Fabric that you rate 8, 9, or 10, give hubby to fold and stack by color in a box.

3. When timer goes off, take a picture of the progress. Then give your man a big ole Italian thank-you hug and kiss (you know--incentivize him--LOL).

Show us your pictures here. I guarantee it will light the proverbial fire under you to know that we will be watching your room transform with you! No shame, just encouragement. No judgment, just pom-poms
    Last edited by zozee; 12-14-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Oh Dear!

Sorry to cause closet troubles! You can always start a new post for ideas. I love organizing especially sewing rooms/closets.

After looking at pictures and discussing options with DH, I decided to go with a series of cubbies. As we might have one more move in our future, we wanted to leave it as a functional clothes closet (as opposed to adding shelves).

My DH added one more long shelf at the top of the closet (above the one shelve that was there), then we added 3 cubby units under the clothes rod. Now I need to go through a large container of fabrics and whatever I decide to keep, figure out how I want to organize it in the closet.

Zozee - I like your method of going through fabrics! I already did one pass, and I did manage to part with a handful of scraps/pieces that I knew I didn't like. But - I think there are many more scraps that can go as well if I don't over think it. I've had quite a lot of it for YEARS - without use. I'm usually pretty good at only buying for the current project I am working on (and in the past I generally start and finish one project before moving on to the next). But here and there I picked up some fabric for something I thought I wanted to make (and the fabric was on sale - I liked the fabric, but the main driver was it was on sale). Time for some of it to have a new home so it can actually be used.

Name:  closet left.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  120.8 KBName:  closet right.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  115.2 KB
    Dawn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast