Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comic book boards

Comic book boards

I would like to fold my fabrics around comic book boards, but I'm not sure what kind or size to get, or whether they're actually safe for fabric storage. I have lots of fabric, which means lots of boards would be required, and it could get expensive, so I don't want to select the wrong boards. I wonder whether any of you have researched this and could share your results?

This is an article I found when trying to decide what boards to get - https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/top...-amp-find-out/

I think it's important that anything used to store fabric be acid-free. From what I read in the article, some of the boards are coated on one side only, and the back is not acid-free. Further, some of the tests show that the coating breaks down over time. Some of the boards are buffered with a calcium carbonate solution, and those appear to be acid-free throughout.

So I've decided to look for the boards that are buffered with the calcium carbonate solution, but what size should I get? They would be used mostly for 1-3 yards of fabric; will one size do, or should I get a different size for larger pieces of fabric? Or does it all depend on the size of my shelving?

And finally - does anyone have recommendations for the best place to get good prices on the boards? TIA

I was able to go to a Comic Book store and see the various boards - can't remember what I bought but was assured they were what collectors use in their "Collectable" comic books. Mostly I bought the standard 7in. x 10in. - there is a slightly larger size I got by accident and just used them for NFL & MLB fabrics since they are 60in. wide.

It's been a couple years now and the fabrics are all fine. I do keep my fabric in bins (the ones that are made for files I got a Joann's) and being in So. Cal. I don't have an issue with moisture.

I also cut a lot in half ( 3.5 x 5) for fat quarters and pieces.

If your live near a large mall they may have a comic book store - I believe ours is called Comics & Stuff. I know it was under $10.00 for 100 board. I bought 300 to begin with and the guy asked me what I was going to do with them and was totally surprised when I told him. He thought I had inherited a large box of comics.

I went to the comic book store and bought mine. I started with 100 and had to go back. I still don't have mine all on the boards but I am slowly working at it. I told the clerk what I was looking for and he thought I was crazy. Mine cost about $10.00 too.

I bought mine from Amazon. I didn't worry too much about acid free on both sides or not. That was several years ago and none of the fabrics that I've pulled to use shows any sign of being stained or damaged by being on boards that weren't acid-free on both sides. I bought the regular size, I think it was as little larger than 10x7. I cut them to the size I need to manage my fabric and also fit in my drawer units. I've got some that have 3 or more yards of fabric on them. Others have as little as a fat quarter. I've even started wrapping my smaller than a fat quarter but too big to cut scraps around them and standing them in the drawer and that has helped a lot- both with controlling the mess and with helping me use those scraps up since I can see at a glance what is in my scrap drawers now.
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I decided to buy the Polar Notion Mini Bolt holders because they were sturdier, which was my preference. They are more costly ($64/50) but I don't have the inventory like so many do so it worked for me. I figure I can buy comic boards when inventory gets out of hand..lol!
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    I just bought mine off Amazon, 100 for $11.85. I don’t have any idea where a comic book store is and yes, could probably find one, but the convenience of them being delivered to my door is worth the $1.85 difference to me.
    The “Golden Age” sized ones are 7 1/2 x 10 1/2 which is the size that works well for me for yardage and cutting some in half for a yard or less.

These are the ones I bought. My fabric has been on the boards about 3 years now and no problems. If you read the reviews, you will find that quite a few people are using them for fabric. These are acid free and treated with calcium carbonate.

https://www.amazon.com/BCW-BBMAG-Mag...ic+book+boards

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
    These are the ones I bought. My fabric has been on the boards about 3 years now and no problems. If you read the reviews, you will find that quite a few people are using them for fabric. These are acid free and treated with calcium carbonate.

https://www.amazon.com/BCW-BBMAG-Mag...ic+book+boards
    You can buy from BCW direct. I'm not sure if there is a price difference than buying on Amazon, but it might be worth checking. I bought some boxes for oversized patterns from them several years ago. They did a good job with the order.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I just ruler fold mine and put in their respective drawers, decided by background colors, thus no cost.

I have used them for several years without any problem. I started out with a 1000 that I bought online, much cheaper than the stores. I have used most for 1-3 yd pieces. I store them in the plastic totes and they work very well. I have them sorted by color and on shelves. My bolts are 4 yds and up stacked on shelves. I got most of the boards from Joanns, just by asking for the empty ones.

I fold mine loosely because years ago my mother-in-law wanted to show me a set of sheets she received for her wedding. She had saved them for sometime special. They were still folded the way they were purchased. When she opened them, they fell apart at every folded place. Now I fold mine differently each time I use it, and very loose. My Granny used to roll hers up.

Blog Entries
    Question for those who use comic boards:

How do you secure the ends of the fabric after wrapping on the boards?

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    Question for those who use comic boards:

How do you secure the ends of the fabric after wrapping on the boards?
    I am using one of the flower head pins.

I use Comic Book boards to store my fabrics. I use the 'Magazine' size (8.5" x 11"). That size fits on all standard bookshelves. The boards Archival. I love mine, and have been using them for several years now. I get mine in packs of 100 at the local Comic Book stores around here. I even got several packs on sale once. Well worth the money. I have about 7 bookshelves full of fabric folded around these boards. They work great on 1 yard or larger pieces.

I use the yellow ball headed pins. Pin the end of the fabric then bury the end of the pin in the fabric. I use 2 pins, 1 near each end. Have never had any problems.

Banned
    I use the standard size, whatever that is, lol. I use the comic boards for 1 to 3yds and cut them in half for less than 1yd. Anything over 3yds goes on a regular fabric bolt. I use coated bobby pins to secure the ends of the fabric, one at each end.

Cari

To secure the fabric I use either the small binder clips or flat flower pins

the flower pins are also handy for putting a label on showing how much fabric is on the board. I also put my scraps that are too big to cut (for me that means anything larger than 10” in any direction) on boards and often there are multiple pieces of a single fabric on a board. In that case it’s really handy to have a label pinned on that shows how many pieces and size of each.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I've always put my fabric in dresser drawers by color.....rows and rows of fabric to fill two dressers. I'm starting to see the advantage of shelving instead. At least I'd be able to see at a glance what I had and what I didn't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
    I just ruler fold mine and put in their respective drawers, decided by background colors, thus no cost.
    This is what I started doing beginning of January to get my stash organized but I don’t really have a big stash compared to some. I use a 6x24” ruler to handle half yards or more.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Purchased mine from Connecting threads...right now they are on sale....100 boards for $7.49. They are great love being able to see what fabric I have - saves time. I think I ended up buying 400 boards....Ultra Pro - Current size boards Archival safe....can't go wrong.

I've searched all over Connecting Threads and can't find them.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I've searched all over Connecting Threads and can't find them.
    I found them here -https://www.connectingthreads.com/tools/Mini_Bolt_Boards__D82488.html - but they are coated on one side only, which means that they are not acid-free. Only one side is coated. That is fine for comic books, but not for fabric that is wrapped around the board.

Thanks, Dunster. I found some on Amazon.
    It looks like a herd of elephants tromped through my room! Anything will help!

I've been using these comic book boards for the past couple years now. I purchased sizes 6.75x 10.5 and 8 x 11. Anything less than a yard goes into my scrap totes. 1yd to 2yd I used the smaller size and 3yd to 5yd I use the larger size. Anything larger than that I fold onto bolt boards. I have purchased over 1,500 so far and need to get busy folding those not on boards as I'd ran out a while back and had to order more. Haven't had any problems with my fabrics either. I do try to order that which is acid free though.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I have been using these for the last three years and no problems on any of my fabric I store them like books in closed cabinets and love it so easy to pull colors sort or add. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast