Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does your sewing space look like mine?

Sure does! Glad to know I'm not alone!!

Quote Originally Posted by mama lyn View Post
    A messy studio is the sign of a creative mind! That's my motto and I'm sticking to it! :-)
    Love this quote and I agree with 100%. Of course, my sewing space is always messy but it's the way I work. No apologies.
    Lizzy in La.

You copied my room! And I use the entire master bedroom!

SandyQuilter

Hey, creative clutter central! Makes me feel right at home...

OH, My, Yours looks bettttter than mine................I assure you. My room is 13x12. but a separate 8x15 for my long arm.

One of my "projects" of late is to make more storage/sewing space. I have gone vertical....I used to have my sewing machine/serger with a wall behind and realized if I moved those to the window, I could use the entire wall. I purchased some Azar peg boards from amazon.com and they are the best thing going....at least for me. I now have what I need at the cutting table, what I need at the sewing machine...but i have to be careful not to travel with tools...I am bad about that, and then they end up somewhere they should not be. I have tried to set up "zones"...cutting zone, pressing zone, sewing/serging zone, etc. They I purchased some plastic boxed with snap on lids, they are about 18 inches high and 9 inches across, nice size and will stack well. Each one has a different color of scraps in it....now I am waiting for my thread racks to arrive and that should help as well. It is always a work in progress it seems. But any vertical wall space is prime pickings!
    Michelle Guadarrama

Blog Entries
    What ever space you have...is a good space! I too have a 1222--love it! I hope your creativity soars!

OOOOH I want to come and play at your house. My sewing room is only 11 x 11, forget getting a long arm in, but it is packed to gills and I need more space. Been here over 26 years and retired, so theres no new big room in my future. Im just glad to have a sewing room instead of 2 guest rooms.
    pat design

Very nice work space.............May I ask where you got your QUILT letters from???

Quote Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
    This is my space. I was finally able to start from scratch when I had a little unexpected 'help' (a water leak). I have finally figured out how to move my space around so I can get halfway organized. Almost everything I have is one wheels now so it's easy to rearrange if the mood hits. Sounds like you have lots of fun stuff and a pretty big room to boot.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...albums878.html

Mine looks a lot worse than yours most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    I got some shots of my sewing space while I am working in it, well you can't see me.lol Does yours look messy like mine? I am still trying to figure out how to get the most use out of my space. These photos are just a corner of my room of 24x26' where I do the sewing. I have fabric and a long arm machine and tons of stuff everywhere else. Attachment 296101Attachment 296102Attachment 296103Attachment 296104

I could be transplanted into your sewing space. Mine is so similar it is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by mama lyn View Post
    A messy studio is the sign of a creative mind! That's my motto and I'm sticking to it! :-)
    Yep I think I am with you on that. Once in a while I like to clean up all the fuzzy stuff!

Jere, that is too funny. I should have turned around and show the rest, but it is too unsorted to take a picture.lol Can't let that out on the net for everyone to see. One time I won second for the messiest bead room in our group.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jere View Post
    I could be transplanted into your sewing space. Mine is so similar it is scary.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I agree with you Michellesews on the vertical space. I have my sewing tables against the wall too, one day I may change that. I am looking for good ideas for sure. Having only moved in a few months ago and then starting on Christmas sewing I haven't had a lot of time to really think of what to do. I like the vertical thinking. I also have a cutting table behind where I sit at the sewing machine and a table with a studio cutter on it next to that. I am trying to fit some more bookcases/storage cases behind maybe the studio table. I still want others to be able to come and sew with me so need to leave a spot for them

Quote Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
    One of my "projects" of late is to make more storage/sewing space. I have gone vertical....I used to have my sewing machine/serger with a wall behind and realized if I moved those to the window, I could use the entire wall. I purchased some Azar peg boards from amazon.com and they are the best thing going....at least for me. I now have what I need at the cutting table, what I need at the sewing machine...but i have to be careful not to travel with tools...I am bad about that, and then they end up somewhere they should not be. I have tried to set up "zones"...cutting zone, pressing zone, sewing/serging zone, etc. They I purchased some plastic boxed with snap on lids, they are about 18 inches high and 9 inches across, nice size and will stack well. Each one has a different color of scraps in it....now I am waiting for my thread racks to arrive and that should help as well. It is always a work in progress it seems. But any vertical wall space is prime pickings!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I don't know if you can see the wire containers, I love them 15" square, black so I only see the fabric. They contain things so well and the piles do not fall into each other. I got mine at Target and put several sets together using cable ties, which Target did not have.

I agree with you Michellesews on the vertical space. I have my sewing tables against the wall too, one day I may change that. I am looking for good ideas for sure. Having only moved in a few months ago and then starting on Christmas sewing I haven't had a lot of time to really think of what to do. I like the vertical thinking. I also have a cutting table behind where I sit at the sewing machine and a table with a studio cutter on it next to that. I am trying to fit some more bookcases/storage cases behind maybe the studio table. I still want others to be able to come and sew with me so need to leave a spot for them
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your sewing space looks wonderful, even as packed as it is it looks like the perfect creativity central! It's great how you've mixed in things to make you happy and inspire you. I like to do that too, so that when I look up my mind gets a happy visual break.
    What you wrote about how your space has grown and moved to new areas over time is food for thought and hope! I recently turned my small walk in closet into my craft storage closet. Might as well, because I like my crafts way more than my clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
    -It looks pretty good to me -I lost my cat in mine yesterday-kept hearing a muffled meow- I found the poor thing in a basket under scads of fabric I was sorting thru-so I spent the day cleaning and re-arranging with Tommy Girl's help so I'm now out of the cat house (temporarily)
    So funny Stitchit! LOL - poor little kitty! They do tend to get themselves in the most unexpected places.

i would feel pretty comfortable in that sewing space

Quote Originally Posted by ladyshuffler View Post
    Very nice work space.............May I ask where you got your QUILT letters from???
    I got wooden letters from Hobby Lobby and painted them black with white polka dots.

You have the same Kenmore machine I have! It's my primary sewing machine and I love it. Anyway, my sewing room looks like that after a project. I don't know why I don't put things away as I go, but I don't, I just toss it out of my way pretty much in every direction. I moved my primary sewing machine into the family room, I was feeling too isolated in my sewing room. But in my sewing room I have my ironing table, cutting table, supplies, and flat screen TV. I also have a small machine set up on the cutting table for quickie stuff.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

I'm trying to rearrange my half of the rm. I had DH put some cup hooks on the side of my desk so I could hang one of those bags with the holes to put some things in. I desk drawers hold a lot but still not enough space. I have my rulers hanging in the closet on a ring on a hanger. Between my crafting, yarn and sewing things including machines it's not enough space. I at the moment have fabric in the spare BR drawers on one bureau and I just bought that cutting table from Joanne's and wonder where can I put this. I really have to rearange things so after Xmas I'm going to start tearing the room apart to put back together. Hope it works out good trying to make space w/o moving the walls. Good Luck to you. It's hard to make space I think I have to get rid of some things I really don't need anymore. The things I used for big dinners I don't really need anymore. So I guess I can make room that way. Sue

Quote Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
    This is my space. I was finally able to start from scratch when I had a little unexpected 'help' (a water leak). I have finally figured out how to move my space around so I can get halfway organized. Almost everything I have is one wheels now so it's easy to rearrange if the mood hits. Sounds like you have lots of fun stuff and a pretty big room to boot.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...albums878.html
    This is a lovely quilting studio. you did a great job.

Grandma58, I do see your black wire fabric holders. They hold a lot of fabric for sure. I do have problems keeping my fabric from falling over in piles. I have gotten some of the boards to wrap fabric on and hope that will help that problem. I am a bit concerned over dust and light getting on my fabric so would have to put curtains over the wire racks. That would be okay though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma58 View Post
    I don't know if you can see the wire containers, I love them 15" square, black so I only see the fabric. They contain things so well and the piles do not fall into each other. I got mine at Target and put several sets together using cable ties, which Target did not have.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

ging10ging, when you get your room torn apart and put back together you should show us some before and after pictures. How about that? I think it is very interesting as well as we learn a lot from others. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ging10ging View Post
    I'm trying to rearrange my half of the rm. I had DH put some cup hooks on the side of my desk so I could hang one of those bags with the holes to put some things in. I desk drawers hold a lot but still not enough space. I have my rulers hanging in the closet on a ring on a hanger. Between my crafting, yarn and sewing things including machines it's not enough space. I at the moment have fabric in the spare BR drawers on one bureau and I just bought that cutting table from Joanne's and wonder where can I put this. I really have to rearange things so after Xmas I'm going to start tearing the room apart to put back together. Hope it works out good trying to make space w/o moving the walls. Good Luck to you. It's hard to make space I think I have to get rid of some things I really don't need anymore. The things I used for big dinners I don't really need anymore. So I guess I can make room that way. Sue
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I might consider boards if I only had a bit of fabric but alas I don not want to spend all of my time wrapping it on boards. The 15" square spaces in the cubicles keeps it well contained and I have silky stuff, which tends to move around in the dark of night. Curtains could be very nice. I wouldn't do them because I want to see what I have. We are all different in the look we want in our studio. Even though I have had one for 20 some years in two different houses I am always incorporating new ideas to make it work better for me. I started the cubicles on one wall with my quilting fabric, then took them down another wall. I have two bakers racks, also black with adjustable shelves for containers of stuff like buttons, laces, dried flowers, etc and one for long pieces of fabric for quilt backs. I don't know about you and many of the others on here but I could use about twice as much space.
    Grandma58, I do see your black wire fabric holders. They hold a lot of fabric for sure. I do have problems keeping my fabric from falling over in piles. I have gotten some of the boards to wrap fabric on and hope that will help that problem. I am a bit concerned over dust and light getting on my fabric so would have to put curtains over the wire racks. That would be okay though.

sewing space

Mine is worse than that right now...I always plan on straightening it up but when I go in there I find things I'l rather be doing and I never get to it...LOL
    Love to Quilt!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast