Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Donating fabric

Blog Entries

Donating fabric

Hi,

I have been accused of being a hoarder by my daughter, especially in the area of fabric/quilting supplies/crafting supplies, etc. In order to prove her wrong, I am doing a major cleanup of my basement sewing area. I have an entire trash bag of fabric which I was going to give to the local Veterans of America thrift shop. Then I think "do they want just random fabric? Will people buy that?"

If not VOA or Goodwill, who else might want mostly home dec fabric? (I didn't get rid of much quilting fabric
    Karen

I signed up for sewing classes to learn how to work my serger. The instructor goes through a lot of scrap fabric so I brought in a whole bunch of my scraps she was absolutely thrilled

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I just hate to dump something off at Goodwill they can't use.
    Karen

A quilting friend of mine found a local group that was contributing (largish - 5" x 5"???) pieces of fabric to a group that was sending them to a group in So. Africa (?) to teach sewing to whom she donated what she no longer wanted. If there is no other quilting group by you that could benefit, perhaps something like this.

I also know of another local quilter who takes much donated fabric (freecycle and the like) and makes various projects for local (and further) charity groups. Wheelchair quilts; fidget quilts; walker bags and the like.

Perhaps there is someone local to you that does similar? If no one local, PM me and I can hook you up with the aforementioned person.

Just because I'm nosey, does your daughter have any interests or hobbies that she's passionate about?
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Makeup!! We went to a makeup store (not Sephora, but similar) and her eyes lit up. I said "This is your Joann's!!" But she doesn't have an entire basement full of makeup she hasn't used in years. I really do need to purge not just fabric and crafting stuff, but things I've moved from house to house and will never use.
    Karen

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I would love to donate to something like that.
    Karen

I commend you for making strides to get rid of stuff. True hoarders don't do that, and they keep things that are utterly useless, like old gum wrappers, dry-rotted tents, and rusty nail clippers--things that are also unsanitary.

I would encourage you to also see if there's a freecycle or a FB backyard sale group in your area. But put a quick time limit on it--3 days or something so you're not holding onto it.

Every so often I try to go thru fabric and drawers to try and get rid of stuff I hang on to that I know I don't need. But I only purge things I want to get rid of and am not concerned with what my family will do when I'm gone.

Your donations will help others. My niece had a friend that took a large amount of fabric to Haiti several years ago. They made clothes and they taught people how to sew. Thrift stores look to use items before they get rid of anything.

I second Freecycle - that way you know THEY know what they are getting and want it. You would not believe what I found homes for when I was downsizing pre moving. I did not have to throw anything out.

I've given fabric to DAV (Disabled American Veterans) several times. I bundle smaller pieces together and place in inexpensive zip lock bags. Larger pieces are folded and placed in a bag they will fit in. Sells like hot cakes for them!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks I will try Freecycle and I know there is a buy, sell, trade FB page for my neighborhood.
    Karen

Blog Entries
    Thanks I don't think I'm really a hoarder. I just hate getting rid of things I either paid good money for or belonged to someone I loved. Here's a good example. When my mom passed I ended up with 9 collector plates - Dressing Gone with the Wind - all plates of Scarlett O'Hara in her different dresses. In 16 years I have never displayed these plates and probably never will. There is a sentimental connection plus that is about $300 worth of plates. If I knew someone who would really like and use them I'd happily give them away. I just can't box them up and drop them off at Goodwill.
    Karen

Blog Entries
    *** Yes, people will buy it. Go ahead and donate it.
    *** Make someones day.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I think you will be happiest if you give your fabric away on Freecycle. That way you can pre-screen who you are giving to and perhaps even meet them when they pick up. I have been the lucky recipient of fabric from my local Freecycle group. I donate much of what I made to various charities and I always mention that when I reply to posts so the giver knows what I plan to do with their fabric. Perhaps you will meet someone like me. At the request of one giver I even sent some pictures of what I'd made with their fabric. I'm sure it gave them a good feeling to know their fabric did not go to waste and I was tickled pink to share my pictures.
    Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 11-02-2016 at 08:13 AM.

You might check to see if there is a place where people can donate craft and arts supplies near you. We have one called ReDux, where people can donate arts and crafts supplies that are then sold at a discount to artists/crafts people.

Also, you might check to see if there is a non-profit organization that teaches arts and crafts we have one of those here that will take tools and such.

Our police department has a partnership going with another non-profit where the local police have craft day get togethers with local youth. I've donated a lot of stuff to that as well.

Finally, there may be a local Boys or Girls club that would be happy to have the material for their arts/crafts classes.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Goodwill has fabric on their auction site. Also look for a quilt, sewing group in your area. They usually take any donated fabric to make charity quilts. When I moved last year, I found several charity groups to take my unwanted fabric too. Most of the suggestions came from members of my quilt guild. I did not feel bad about giving up my fabric since it became a quilt for someone by some great sewers.

Our guild has a philanthropy group that makes all kinds of quilted things out of donated fabric. When some decorator fabric was donated, it was used to make pillows. Another guild used decorator fabric to make bags to give to the local shelter for abused women.

Quote Originally Posted by kjackson View Post
    Thanks I don't think I'm really a hoarder. I just hate getting rid of things I either paid good money for or belonged to someone I loved. Here's a good example. When my mom passed I ended up with 9 collector plates - Dressing Gone with the Wind - all plates of Scarlett O'Hara in her different dresses. In 16 years I have never displayed these plates and probably never will. There is a sentimental connection plus that is about $300 worth of plates. If I knew someone who would really like and use them I'd happily give them away. I just can't box them up and drop them off at Goodwill.
    I was just saying to a friend how much I love that term "good money". I use it, too, but really what is bad money? Maybe the way to think about the plates is that if your Mom loved them, she got her money out of them. Maybe it's time to let someone else love them if you can let them go. Just a suggestion. I am trying to downsize, myself.

Check with church quilting groups in your area. Ours has 2 quilt groups and gladly accepts donated fabric. In fact, we have a donation tub by the door. It gets used, eventually.

Power Poster
    I sew with a group that does accept most donations - with the understanding that it is okay to pass on the fabrics that are not suitable for the projects they are working on.

Also - it is a good idea to check with the organization first - some places have limited storage space - so a blessing can become a burden if there is no good place to put the donations.

I have bought bags of fabric scraps at the Goodwill store. I like to make scrappy quilts and this way, I don't have to go buy a lot of different fabrics at regular prices. I have also bought fabric scraps on this site and just paid the postage. Haven't seen too many of those offers in a while though.

Just read about your mother's plates, and I was just thinking that maybe you could contact a museum in Atlanta that may want them. They may not want to buy them but they may want them for display or could direct you to someone that may be interested. My parents collected Western Art and at one show all the local artist did a "quick draw" for them, put them all in a large frame and presented it to my parents. No one in the family really had any place to hang it, so I was in a small art museum in Ellensburg WA mentioned what I had and they asked for it. (I believe they were the ones that put it together for my parents.) It doesn't get shown all the time but they put it out from time to time, because of the group of artists in it. One of the artist happens to be my BIL, so he is thrilled and I was mentioning to his kids that their father is obviously a famous artist because he now has a picture in a museum. :-)
    We had a friend in Berlin that is a giant Beatles fan. I went to the Beatles concert in Seattle in 1966 and still had the ticket and program, he was so excited because they don't get much Beatles memorabilia from the US, so he contacted the Beatles museum in Hamburg that wanted it, so now they have it. (Along with the Wings over America program my husband got back in 1976.)
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 11-02-2016 at 07:58 PM.

I am fortunate to have two friends who in their retirements started teaching quilting at senior centers. That's where my extra fabric goes - I only donate what is useable - some things need to be tossed.

Like so many of you I'm trying to downsize as we may be moving from our large farmhouse to something smaller within a couple of years. We've had a farm auction already and I got rid of a lot. I've donated fabric to a group that make dresses to little girls in Africa. I just finished my 8th scrappy quilt which I am giving to nieces and nephews and I finally see my stash going down, finally. Now I need to concentrate on homes for my 99k and my spinning wheel. How we accumulate over the years and when you have a big house you just accumulate more. So what am I doing this Saturday - going on a shop hop, but I will be very very selective.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast