Donating fabric

Old 11-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

I sew with a group that does accept most donations - with the understanding that it is okay to pass on the fabrics that are not suitable for the projects they are working on.

Also - it is a good idea to check with the organization first - some places have limited storage space - so a blessing can become a burden if there is no good place to put the donations.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:39 PM

I have bought bags of fabric scraps at the Goodwill store. I like to make scrappy quilts and this way, I don't have to go buy a lot of different fabrics at regular prices. I have also bought fabric scraps on this site and just paid the postage. Haven't seen too many of those offers in a while though.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:53 PM

Just read about your mother's plates, and I was just thinking that maybe you could contact a museum in Atlanta that may want them. They may not want to buy them but they may want them for display or could direct you to someone that may be interested. My parents collected Western Art and at one show all the local artist did a "quick draw" for them, put them all in a large frame and presented it to my parents. No one in the family really had any place to hang it, so I was in a small art museum in Ellensburg WA mentioned what I had and they asked for it. (I believe they were the ones that put it together for my parents.) It doesn't get shown all the time but they put it out from time to time, because of the group of artists in it. One of the artist happens to be my BIL, so he is thrilled and I was mentioning to his kids that their father is obviously a famous artist because he now has a picture in a museum. :-)
We had a friend in Berlin that is a giant Beatles fan. I went to the Beatles concert in Seattle in 1966 and still had the ticket and program, he was so excited because they don't get much Beatles memorabilia from the US, so he contacted the Beatles museum in Hamburg that wanted it, so now they have it. (Along with the Wings over America program my husband got back in 1976.)

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 11-02-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:10 AM

I am fortunate to have two friends who in their retirements started teaching quilting at senior centers. That's where my extra fabric goes - I only donate what is useable - some things need to be tossed.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:57 AM

Like so many of you I'm trying to downsize as we may be moving from our large farmhouse to something smaller within a couple of years. We've had a farm auction already and I got rid of a lot. I've donated fabric to a group that make dresses to little girls in Africa. I just finished my 8th scrappy quilt which I am giving to nieces and nephews and I finally see my stash going down, finally. Now I need to concentrate on homes for my 99k and my spinning wheel. How we accumulate over the years and when you have a big house you just accumulate more. So what am I doing this Saturday - going on a shop hop, but I will be very very selective.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:04 AM

I donate my fabric to a local church group that makes them into quilts for the needy. Out of the first batch of fabric they made 5 quilts. The one lady goes through to see how many they can make out of every bunch I give them and then tells me. The also have a beginner sewing for young girls just starting to sew. It is all for a very good cause.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:21 PM

We have a Thrift shop, and have no trouble selling donated fabric, especially cotton. we have a large Native American population, and giving quilts is a part of their tradition.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by kjackson View Post
Makeup!! We went to a makeup store (not Sephora, but similar) and her eyes lit up. I said "This is your Joann's!!" But she doesn't have an entire basement full of makeup she hasn't used in years. I really do need to purge not just fabric and crafting stuff, but things I've moved from house to house and will never use.
Okay, makeup isn't really a hobby that you spend hours and hours doing so I don't know if that applies. But I've noticed especially younger people don't really have hobbies except their cell phones and don't make things so are very quick to label anyone that collects or has a lot of supplies a hoarder. Hoarders have their houses so full you can barely walk and I think it's very mean for people to call you a hoarder because you love fabric and sewing.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

I also enjoy buying patterns besides the fabrics. I have a huge oak cabinet full of them. All kinds, not just quilting patterns. I don't feel bad one bit when my sister jabs me about it. I tell her, "Sis, This is what I do. It is my hobby to sew for others and charity." After all when the snow is flying around and I don't want to go out in it, I have lots to chose from. I also want to say, I am glad I bought when the fabric was reasonable enough to buy. Wow! The prices have gone sky high!
I sew a lot and I hardly ever keep anything for myself. But, it makes me happy to stay busy.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:35 PM

I am a quilter who uses upcycled fabrics. The Savers store where I buy so much of my stuff to recycle sells bags of fabric pieces donated out of someone's stash. By buying these bags and other items, I can afford to make beautiful quilts for VERY LITTLE money. Be sure you donate your fabrics to a place that actually sells or gives them to others who value and use them.