Donating fabric

Old 11-04-2016, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Since you only have about 9 plates then display them on a shelf or see if you can find one to put them on. That is not a bad size collection. Maybe depending on the location/theme of the plate in different rooms. Or your sewing room. REmember the dress made out of drapery?
If you have a "RESTORE" shop (HABITAT FOR HUMANITY") see if they would take your donation. The money they make goes straight back into the homes.
Originally Posted by kjackson View Post
Thanks I don't think I'm really a hoarder. I just hate getting rid of things I either paid good money for or belonged to someone I loved. Here's a good example. When my mom passed I ended up with 9 collector plates - Dressing Gone with the Wind - all plates of Scarlett O'Hara in her different dresses. In 16 years I have never displayed these plates and probably never will. There is a sentimental connection plus that is about $300 worth of plates. If I knew someone who would really like and use them I'd happily give them away. I just can't box them up and drop them off at Goodwill.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:54 AM

All great ideas. I went by a Goodwill yesterday and had my trunk full of stuff so thought I'd drop everything off. When I went around back to the drop off spot, stuff was piled all around the entrance, spilling out into the parking lot. Looked like no one had come outside to bring anything in in days! I'm always careful not to leave anything outside at the place I normally drop things off, but a woman drove up and said there was never anyone there to collect donations. I left some things I thought would be ok if it rained but not my precious trash bag of fabric. Will try Freecycle or my local BST Facebook page.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:00 AM

Thanks I don't think I'm really a hoarder. I just hate getting rid of things I either paid good money for or belonged to someone I loved. Here's a good example. When my mom passed I ended up with 9 collector plates - Dressing Gone with the Wind - all plates of Scarlett O'Hara in her different dresses. In 16 years I have never displayed these plates and probably never will. There is a sentimental connection plus that is about $300 worth of plates. If I knew someone who would really like and use them I'd happily give them away. I just can't box them up and drop them off at Goodwill.
Would it make you feed better if you knew most of those collector sets sell on ebay for about 3-5 dollars each? A friends family asked me to part out her personal estate on ebay, she had several 100 plates from difference collections. Sadly pretty hopeless task. The problem isn't the quality, most are lovely, it is just that they are so overpriced to begin with.

good luck paring down, if I were anywhere near you I'd come relieve you of the scrap bags
Old 11-05-2016, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Would it make you feed better if you knew most of those collector sets sell on ebay for about 3-5 dollars each? A friends family asked me to part out her personal estate on ebay, she had several 100 plates from difference collections. Sadly pretty hopeless task. The problem isn't the quality, most are lovely, it is just that they are so overpriced to begin with.

good luck paring down, if I were anywhere near you I'd come relieve you of the scrap bags
I passed on buying some beautiful blue Danish Mother's Day plates for 25 cents each at my local thrift store. Not worth much of anything on ebay. If I had a permanent home I would have bought them for myself.

Just about anything that is sold as a collectible (Franklin Mint, etc) winds up next to worthless. There were just too many of them made.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:31 AM

My husband put the bag on our local buy, sell, trade FB page, and 4 people responded. We put the bag on the front porch and it was gone when I got home from work. So I feel good that someone got the bag who will actually use it.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:31 PM

Our guild just donated a lot of stuff to the Baton Rouge, LA quilters. We were told that over 400 quilters lost EVERYTHING in the recent floods. You might be able to enlist the aid of shipping cost from a local shop. That is
what we did.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Okay, makeup isn't really a hobby that you spend hours and hours doing so I don't know if that applies. But I've noticed especially younger people don't really have hobbies except their cell phones and don't make things so are very quick to label anyone that collects or has a lot of supplies a hoarder. Hoarders have their houses so full you can barely walk and I think it's very mean for people to call you a hoarder because you love fabric and sewing.
There is also one difference...they haven't lived long enough in one place to collect anything....
Old 11-12-2016, 07:24 AM

Ask before donating fabric to Goodwill. In this area, they don't put fabric out for resale. They treat it as rags and recycle it. Surely you can find a church, hospital or community thrift store to donate to.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

We've often put items (good) on the curb and they're gone in no time.
My husband put the bag on our local buy, sell, trade FB page, and 4 people responded. We put the bag on the front porch and it was gone when I got home from work. So I feel good that someone got the bag who will actually use it.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
I was just saying to a friend how much I love that term "good money". I use it, too, but really what is bad money? Maybe the way to think about the plates is that if your Mom loved them, she got her money out of them. Maybe it's time to let someone else love them if you can let them go. Just a suggestion. I am trying to downsize, myself.
Bad money is money wasted, like gambling slot machines. "don't throw good money after bad".