Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flooring in sewing room

pw6
    me too but I have huge area rugs down on my garage floor and use a magnet to pick up pins and sweep first..

We put a cork floor down in my sewing room. It's a laminate but it's layered/designed in a way that it's a bit softer than a wood floor. It actually looks like slate tiles, not your expected look of cork. I really like it. Sweeps up well.
    Laughing is, and will always be, the best form of therapy!

When you love and laugh abundantly, you live a beautiful life!

If you're too busy to laugh.....you're too busy!

Power Poster
    I used Lure vinyl flooring...It looks like wood, is easy to put down and comes with a 25 year guarantee...I love it...

Blog Entries
    I think it's a great idea. So much better than carpet where both threads and pins can hide.
    I have a thick yoga mat by my cutting table - so much better for feet, legs and back than the hard floor. I noticed the difference as soon as I got it. I'm going to put another by my ironing board.

I agree with fireworkslover. I really like the cork flooring we have in my sewing room and our kitchen. It's warm and cushy to stand on and keeping it clean is a breeze.

I had carpet in my last sewing room and hated it. Now I have a wood floor and really like it. Not that it's clean or anything, but it could be!! Lol!

My DH laid down laminate in my sewing room last year. I wanted laminate that was more expensive, he wanted the cheapo crap. That decision was the worst... now where mys sewing chair is chips of the laminate are breaking off the backerboard.

When you get flooring get good stuff....you will get what you pay for.

DH has a summer project now....replace the flooring strips that are broken and chipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
    My DH laid down laminate in my sewing room last year. I wanted laminate that was more expensive, he wanted the cheapo crap. That decision was the worst... now where mys sewing chair is chips of the laminate are breaking off the backerboard.

When you get flooring get good stuff....you will get what you pay for.

DH has a summer project now....replace the flooring strips that are broken and chipped.

Men ... why don't they ever listen to us? ;-)

Blog Entries
    I actually don't like how my chair rolls on the tile I have so I need to get some kind of mat or something under it. Any suggestions?

We took all the flooring out of our house (a mix of carpet and tile) and have gone with just tile. It is so much easier. We do have large rugs in some areas of our house.

Blog Entries
    I took the up stairs bedroom and did the same thing and LOVE it. You will not regret it. Here is my room
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrice

It turns out I get this kind of information here, here ya permit monitoring threadnya
    thank you

A few years ago we removed all the carpeting in our home and installed laminate flooring. Have never regretted it for a minute. Love the flooring!!
    Cookie

Laminate flooring gets my vote. We built a new house about 5 years ago & put laminate throughout the whole house except for the bathrooms--they are tile. I love my laminate flooring in my sewing room. So easy to clean--threads, pins, whatever else lands on the floor is easy to pick up. Never ever would I go back to carpeting!!
    What I make with my hands, I give of my heart.

Am a bit different here, as I still have carpet in my sewing room, since it is in with the tv/living area. I do like it too. I can "clean" up threads, etc. by using a toilet brush-specifically for my room. I like the "warmth" of the room, and don't have echoing from hard flooring. To each their own.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    I also have flooring that can be swept. My son bought me 2 commercial mats businesses put where employees stand at registers etc. have them in front of my long arm. Sure saves the legs and back. Would never go back to,carpet
    There is magic in a kind word or warm smile.

I'm stuck with carpet in my current room (rental) but I had laminate in my last one and it was wonderful.

Blog Entries
    I enjoyed everyones imput! I am ready to get rid of ALL carpet. Last week I was working in my quilting rm. & dropped a 6" knitting needle. Stepped down to pick it up---ugh it was standing up in the carpet & drove it into the bottom of my foot. Our carpet was new 6 years ago & has had to be restretched & cleanned. Cannot wait to get rid of it. Thank you for sharing.

I'm debating some of those larger mats that you would use under office chairs for that exact reason.

I would definitely switch to a laminate. I like the ease of picking up sewing debris in one fail swoop and not clogging up my vacuum. It makes such a huge difference.

Laminate is a good idea. I sew in my dining room, which has an area rug, and I know exactly what you mean about vacuuming. What a nightmare that is!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

A tip for picking up threads in carpet: I use masking tape om the bottom of the swifter mop and stomp them onto the tape. Better than onto the roller on the vac.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2