Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Foam board design wall >

Foam board design wall

Foam board design wall

Old 11-28-2017, 03:15 AM

I punched holes into mine with a hole punch and used heavy string to hang like a picture on a nail. Yours is bigger than mine, so you might use Command hooks to hang in a few places rather than one. (I have a small sewing room and use a bed when I want to lay out a whole quilt)
Old 11-28-2017, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

I did hang my foam boards. I used double sided tape the first time, it took A Lot!
after a while the still fell down. Then I used the Velcro that has adhesive on it. It worked much better, adhering to the wall, still wanted to come off the foam - I stapled it to the foam board, that made it stay. I haven’t tried to peel the Velcro off the wall- imagining it will probably take the paint like any strong tape, but I don’t think it’s going to cause any real damage.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:26 AM

Melody Johson is a professional quilter and has a great blog entry on her design wall installation. I"ve always just propped mine against the wall but finally and wanting it to me more solidly placed. here you go. http://mixitupmel.blogspot.com/2015/12/design-wall-installation.html

Last edited by leighway; 11-28-2017 at 04:27 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 11-28-2017, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Same here. I thought originally I'd hang mine (3 pieces of 4x8) , but then realized I like being able to move them close to the machine, use one at a time, put all 3 up against the double closet doors, etc. They are so lightweight it works.

I'm wondering if COmmand hooks would hold if you really want to hang the foam up.
I use command hooks and LOVE them. My design wall is pretty big, as are most everyone's. I had them in Florida for several years and just last weekend put up my design wall in my new sewing room in Washington state (we moved last year and just now putting the final touches on my room). The thing I like about the "hooks" as opposed to the "strips" is that sometimes, my wall gets heavy with a large quilt that I might pin to it as I am working on it. Without the hooks, the wall tends to fall or pull forward. The hooks - at all four corners (the top hooks are placed upside down) help hold the wall and give a lot of support.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:23 AM

I'm in the process of changing out my present design wall to one using foam board. I had the lumber company cut the foam to the size I need. Had to get 2 - 4x8 sheets of it to fit the area I wanted. Also ordered the flannel cover to go over it to fit the entire size too. Anyway, I also didn't want to damage the chipboard walls I have down here in the basement so will nail thin slats around the circumfrance (spelling is wrong), then found some tube type glue made for foam and will stick the foam board to the slats using this glue. I also picked up some double-sided tape to put the 2 pieces together as my area will end up at 96w x 70h when finished. I'll tack on some trim around the edge to cover the flannel edge and keep it from slipping. I'm thinking I might use some of my 505 spray to spray the flannel onto the foam depending on whether it says it won't melt the foam board. Have lots of the 505 spray on hand.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by leighway View Post
Melody Johson is a professional quilter and has a great blog entry on her design wall installation. I"ve always just propped mine against the wall but finally and wanting it to me more solidly placed. here you go. http://mixitupmel.blogspot.com/2015/12/design-wall-installation.html

Thanks this was a big help.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
I use command hooks and LOVE them. My design wall is pretty big, as are most everyone's. I had them in Florida for several years and just last weekend put up my design wall in my new sewing room in Washington state (we moved last year and just now putting the final touches on my room). The thing I like about the "hooks" as opposed to the "strips" is that sometimes, my wall gets heavy with a large quilt that I might pin to it as I am working on it. Without the hooks, the wall tends to fall or pull forward. The hooks - at all four corners (the top hooks are placed upside down) help hold the wall and give a lot of support.
Yes I think this will be best.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by leighway View Post

That was a great article. Thank you for posting the link!
Old 11-28-2017, 04:49 PM

Maybe some Velcro strips?
Old 11-28-2017, 09:52 PM

My design boards are from 4x8' sheets of foam board. They're very light wt. Covered them with batting. The walls are 8 ft high. So I put some push pins in the ceiling. Tucked the board behind them and moved the bottom of the board into position up next to the wall. They've never fallen over in 8 yrs. Just a few push pin holes in the ceiling.