Help, please!

Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 PM

Default Help, please!

I am currently using our smallest bedroom for scrapbookking. It is about 14 x 15. I am using the next smallest one, 14 x 18, as a guest/sewing room. Both are pretty cluttered. I am thinking about moving my scrapbook stuff into the larger room with all my sewing stuff and using the smaller one as a dedicated guest room. The problem with that is that the smaller room doesn't have an attached bathroom, but does have one just outside the door in the hall. OK, question is, what should I do? Keep everything as is, or combine scrapping and sewing. I have a LOT of both kinds of stuff and it would be a challenge to combine, but it would be nice to actually have a nice clean guest room, where you weren't looking at shelves of fabric, a cutting table and several sewing machines. What would y'all do?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:03 PM

I lost a guest bedroom to two sewing rooms. I love my sewing rooms but hate loosing guest bedroom.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 PM

I would use the larger room for your craft/quilting room. I would put my sewing machine/table in the middle of the room and put all of the "storage" areas along the wall, using bookshelves or bookcases to take the items "up" towards the ceiling so you free up the workspace and flooring. Some people put drapes/curtains up but I prefer shutters or blinds so you can open them completely during the dark and dreary days. Have as much good light as possible, one ott over the cutting area in order to match up the good colors. Go for it! You owe it to yourself. We all need that at times in our lives.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:11 PM

I would move everything into the larger room.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:23 PM

Biggest questions to me are: How often to you have guests? How long do they stay? Are they mostly family? If you are saving the room with the attached bathroom for company that doesn't really come that often--why don't you use it yourself? I would probably take the larger room.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:50 PM

Heh, I have a guest room where you look at very colorful shelves with fabric. Which I try to keep as neat as possible, since the room in small. Everything must be able to be put away to leave room for the bed if guests are here.

Purging is a very good idea, as I have found I will never have enough room to keep absolutely everything. I have rarely regretted purging. My rule is if I have not laid hands on it in at least 1 year, then I really didn't need it anyway. Things do accumulate and I have to re-purge after a time. I found an excellent book, Organizing Solutions for Every Quilter by Carolyn Woods - this book inspired my last purge and organization and I cannot tell you how happy I am with what I accomplished. I think it would help you a lot.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:57 PM

My guest room is now my sewing room. When grandkids come to visit, we sleep either on the couch or an aero bed in the family room. I hate to give up the guest room but that's just the way it is.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

i would use the smaller room as a dedicated guest bedroom and make sure to hang a guest bathrobe on the back of the door for those trips to the hall bathroom.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:54 AM

How often do you have guests using the room? I say combine all your things into the larger room and put the guests in the smaller room with the bathroom in the hall.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by rusty quilter View Post
Biggest questions to me are: How often to you have guests? How long do they stay? Are they mostly family? If you are saving the room with the attached bathroom for company that doesn't really come that often--why don't you use it yourself? I would probably take the larger room.
You make a good point, how often do you have guests? I think people keep things for others when they should be enjoying it themselves. My SIL always had a very nice car (usually a "collector" type) but her husband would never let her go anywhere (to save the car). What's the point? Not to say you need to run the wheels off but if you're not enjoying it, why have it? Same with a house. You're the one there using it everyday, why not enjoy it ALL?