Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
How do I organize my 2 1/2" squares >

How do I organize my 2 1/2" squares

How do I organize my 2 1/2" squares

Old 01-25-2019, 02:27 PM

Default How do I organize my 2 1/2" squares

I joined the 9 patch swap on this board and I have cut 2 1/2" squares for days and not real sure how or what is the easiest way to keep them all organized by color? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:56 PM

That's a bunch of patches! Sort them into 9 patches and clip together. They will be ready to stitch for a quick project even if you only have 5-10 minutes. The other option is to sort by colors and put 9 in a stack. Pick a square from each stack and chain stitch to complete 9 quilt blocks. Good luck on your quilt!
Old 01-25-2019, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

I got some boxes at Ikea that come with divided sections, perfectly sized for 2.5" squares. I have 3 boxes full, and have my stacks divided by color. Sometimes I divide by type... like novelty, Christmas, batik, etc.

The boxes are called Tjena, article # 403.954.86. They are only $2.99 each. Be sure you get the divider insert with it.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:55 AM

I refuse to ditch any fabric that is larger than 2" square so I have plastic shoe boxes for each cut size of scraps. Of course they are now overflowing. The 2.5" scraps are left in strips if they are over 10" they can always be joined for a scrappy binding, the rest is cut into squares. Until now I've sorted those into light, med (always subjective) and dark, but will be following this thread with interest for ideas for sorting for specific patterns/projects.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

2.5 inches seems to be my most popular scrap size...I get lots of scraps from friends and oftentimes bits of leftover binding will come my way. Like Bobbinalong, I leave my scraps in strips. I have a rectangular block pattern that takes 20 inches of one color and 12 or 15 of a contrasting color...sorry can't remember exactly right now. I have been keeping the strips I need for this quilt in a plastic box and soon will have enough for the full size quilt. I have started to divide the colors into brights and country colors (think KT, Jo Morton, CW). Then my scrappy quilts are little more "controlled" What doesn't fit into these 2 categories get another box and become leaders and enders for Bonnie Hunter type quilts.

For your 9P's a 10 and a 12.5 inch strip would give you a balanced 9P.

SBG...thanks for the Ikea box tip...guess I will have to go online to check it out.

So much can be done with 9P blocks!
Old 01-26-2019, 03:29 AM

I divide my 2.5s by color and put into zip lock bags. I have about 10 color bags then one of white/off white and another of blacks. I just dump all my bags in to a large 35 bag. Easy to dip in and grab a whole bag of pink or aqua or red. Along with trying to use fabric from my stash, I am trying to use the organizing tools I have at hand. (More money for other quilting needs.)
Old 01-26-2019, 03:29 AM

I have a few bins that stack (they are approx 5x10) tucked under my sewing table with 2 1/2 inch squares, one bin has reds, oranges, yellow...another blues/greens etc... I may have gotten them at Target or the Dollar Store. I use the 2 1/2 inch squares as Enders/Leaders and eventually they go into something like Arkansas Crossroads.

I like RhondaK’s suggestion about putting them in sets ready to sew.

Last edited by jmoore; 01-26-2019 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 01-28-2019, 06:39 AM

I have mine in plastic shoe boxes from WalMart, only 99 cents each. Haven't sorted by color yet as I am still trying to cut up all my scraps. I fact I have all my blocks of different sizes stored this way. Once I get all my scraps cut (A DREAM I THINK) will either sort by color of pair them up to sew as leaders and enders or maybe just have a big sewing day of the blocks I have cut. That is a ways off yet. Will probably use them for a little quilting guild that makes quilts for pwho lose their homes and possessions to fire. So if anyone has anything they want to get rid of we will welcome it, but have no funds for postage as all of our members are elderly and on limited incomes, It is a struggle to "make do" at times, thus I am trying to utilize what scraps I have for use to them.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:07 PM

I just started using the long rectangular cardboard sleeves from plastic wrap and parchment paper. Some are a bit too small and some are too large but I found one that is absolutely perfect! I cut up heavy card stock to use as labeled dividers. Works great!
Old 01-29-2019, 05:09 AM

I use ziploc bags. A few get folded but not a hard enough crease to have to reiron.