Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Store Your Fabric?

Blog Entries
    DeeBooper, you and your mother have awell organized room with lots of shelves.
    The great idea I had was putting my sewing room in the loft over othe great room. We, my DD and I, could sew and still be apart of the family instead of being cooped up off somewhere.
    The problem we are running into is the fact that the loft side walls are not 8 feet tall. And then there's the fact that we both love fabrics.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

I keep reading how the boards I get free will ruin my fabric and as I now am getting a fairly nice stash going am getting worried. would also like to know more about the poster board and size to cut. my fat qtrs are in a drawer of a chest I bought. they fit perfectly.

I am so fortunate, I have large stand up bookcases lining my double garage where my bolts are kept. I have "stands" with slots that I use for fat quarters.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Dang...the more I read --the more I think once I get done working on the fleece scarves for our xmas boxes for kids that I will just pull them off the boards, and just fold it and stack. SIGH.............................

Wow!! Not that is one neat looking stash!
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

Oh my goodness Judy - what a difference after folding! wow
    did it seem to give her more room afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by grandmajuki View Post
    These are pics of two of our group after refolding using a 6x24 ruler to fold the
    fabric... Amazing isn't it.. The one was actually going to take down the shelves on her wall for a design wall instead several of us went over and helped her fold and now she has a roller up that she can lower for her design wall.
    judy

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Mine are also in stacks all over the place. I ran out of room in my drawers and bookcases and storage unit and rubbermaid tubs that I have lots of fabric folded up on top of these items. I also have fabric on my second chair in my sewing room. And on my cutting tables (I have two long tables put together with one long, long cutting board). I have old wooden bread boxes on my bookcases and tables because I can store things in there and then again on top of the boxes. I also have shelves I've put up on the walls to put fabric on. I use to be embarrassed by how much fabric I had. I thought I had OCD or something because I keep buying fabric and then I found this place and realized that I am a normal quilter. That all of you have more fabric than you actually need. I love this site!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Pictures helps me a lot. I would love to see photos of others ideas of storage
    Quilts are like friends - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth. Friendship promotes the good and happiness in each other.

Blog Entries

Love my storage.

I used to have it in totes. Then when I moved I had it in those plastic drawers. Then I found this cabinet at Goodwill. I did the ruler fold method. I totally enjoy looking at it and can find anything I want. I do have larger pieces on boards in my closet. Fat quarters are still in drawers, by types.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy Quilting.

Using the ruler method? I am not sure what you mean. Was it hard and time consuming? I am still learning

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023 View Post
    I used to have it in totes. Then when I moved I had it in those plastic drawers. Then I found this cabinet at Goodwill. I did the ruler fold method. I totally enjoy looking at it and can find anything I want. I do have larger pieces on boards in my closet. Fat quarters are still in drawers, by types.
    Quilts are like friends - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth. Friendship promotes the good and happiness in each other.

Power Poster
    Once upon a time, I very carefully folded most of my fabrics "just so" - and packed them on the shelves to the maximum.

My folded fabrics looked very lovely - until I wanted/needed something that was stacked there.

I have learned that it is helpful to me to have a bare/empty spot to pile things on while I'm looking through the stacks. (Other than the floor!)

When I had everything packed like an overstuffed suitcase, the crowdedness made looking for and extracting pieces of fabric to be hazardous.

I don't have a perfect solution. I know - usually - what neighborhood to look in for items - but sometimes the looked for item just does not want to be found when I'm searching for it.

The main idea of this post - leave a little wiggle room - if possible. It is then easier to find things again later.

The up side of having to excavate to find something - it's exercise!

This is fabulous storage and organization.
    Dutchgirl

Mine are on plastic and metal shelving, I can't imagine having so little amount, what do you make with so small amount of fabric? Most of my pieces are one or more yards, plus I have the usual landscape fabric for wallhangings etc. and smaller pieces for coin purses/purses.

You mean we are supposed to have our fabrics organized. But, but, but - isn't it fun to look for "stuff"

Blog Entries
    My stash is still small enough to hang on coat hangers in the closet!!

I use 12 X 12 card stock from the scrapbook store. I buy it on sale usually about 10 cents a sheet. I fold it in half and wrap everything around it that fits. I use pins, hair clips, and bobby pins to hold it on. I put mine together the way I will be using it. Anything for a project I keep together. Batiks together, civil war together, lights all together, reds, blues, yellows, greens, Christmas together. When I start a quilt, I assign the pattern and fabric to a 12 X 12 plastic Art tote with a handle. I cut out all the pieces, and organize them in sandwich bags. This I take with me when I go on retreats so everything for each project is in its own carrying case.
    Each day is a blessing, so do something you love each day.

I have mine folded by color, theme, & size on bookcases. My problem is that there is no cover on them I thought of using clear shower curtains hung to cover but dont know how it will look.
    Roxie

Your stash organization is terrific!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Fabric storage - aarrrrgggggHHHHHHH! I am just enough OCD that it drives me crazy! Should I put it in the blue bin, but oh wait, it has flowers, so should I put it in the floral bin, but oh wait, there's a good bit of yellow in there too, so should I put it in with the yellows? This is always a problem for me, so I love seeing your replies and hoping one will pop out at me saying "This is the way to do it!"

That is one of the problems I have. I look for others answers...

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Fabric storage - aarrrrgggggHHHHHHH! I am just enough OCD that it drives me crazy! Should I put it in the blue bin, but oh wait, it has flowers, so should I put it in the floral bin, but oh wait, there's a good bit of yellow in there too, so should I put it in with the yellows? This is always a problem for me, so I love seeing your replies and hoping one will pop out at me saying "This is the way to do it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Margo in Maine View Post
    1.Just finished sorting etc...pulled out everything that I could use for charity and put in bin outside of my quilt room..Only have what I use...I am blessed with an old bedroom that works for me.
    2. All fat quarters are in plastic bins and marked by colors in a closed closet.
    3. Everything about a yard are in small plastic bin with covers and filed by color.(they are cheap to purchase)
    4. Anything 2 yds or more are measured and marked and piled by color in closet
    5. All my battings plus small pieces marked by size....are in open wire shelves in a closet by size.
    6. Special projects...christmas....etc. are in small covered containers and put in a bookcase. With my books and magazines. I keep all projects I have done...in notebooks on these shelves.
    7. Pulled odd shaped material and am cutting in 2 2 1/2" 3 3 1/3" up to 6"
    8. have a bin of WOF ...marked.
    9. I keep everything that pertains to each machine in a desk..

I enjoy my quilt room because I can exactly what I need and when I am done a project. I immediately take care of left overs.
    FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU...make it uniquely YOURS!!! I decided what I wanted for furniture...open bookcase. 3-4 plastic 3-draw ....couple of wood cabinets under my short arm table...a closed closed portable ..plus a regular closet...and thread and rulers all in one place...this is long and I hop given some semblance of what i did..JUST BEGIN..
    I like your ideas, very organized.

~ Cindy

Lightbulb curtain

I have my stash in the cube storage boxes and decided I wanted to cover it so I used the shower rod holdercups and rod to hang a clothe curtain. I'm a Sunbonnet Sue nut so I appliqued them on a plain white shower curtain to "beautify the plain curtain. Already had cafe curtains with Sue on windows so they all went together. The cubes fit in a space that is the size of the closet so the rod was hung across it .
    Last edited by Kathy Osterby; 11-09-2011 at 07:52 AM.
    Kathy Osterby

I love the way you sorted your fabrics by color. I try but I think I have too much fabric and can't part with any of it LOL
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

Has anyone figured this one out??

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post

Blog Entries
    I have mine stacked by color too.........the problem I see is, when I want a piece and its ALWAYS on the bottom, and it messes the others up, when I go to pull it out..........so how do you figure out some other way? I like the idea about using the boards and stacking sideways like the quilt shop.....but my shelves are deep, so that would be a lot of wasted space........guess I need more shelves, inside each cabinet. Thanks for all your suggestions, makes me want to fix mine better.
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast