Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Ideas on where and how you sandwich your quilts >

Ideas on where and how you sandwich your quilts

Ideas on where and how you sandwich your quilts

Old 08-30-2013, 11:48 AM

I center my quilts in the middle of the table with the ends hanging over to the floor. I have clips that clip to the table, bought them at various hardware stores like Lowe's and Home Depot.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
A friend recently sent me this link by Sharon Schamber...it may assist you. The method does not use pins, glue, or tape!

If the link does not open, copy & paste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
I ALWAYS sandwich my quilts this way - I even just did a King size one. It takes practice but after a couple of tries - you will love it.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta View Post
I ALWAYS sandwich my quilts this way - I even just did a King size one. It takes practice but after a couple of tries - you will love it.
When you do a large quilt like this or even Queen, do you just move to right and left to do the whole quilt? I want to try this. I am having a hard time getting down on the floor.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:52 PM

In the group I'm in we put 2 large tables together but with very large quilts it's still not enough so we work on 1 half of the quilt and then carefully pull it over to pin the other half. And to keep the backing from moving, we clip it with large drawing board clips onto the border of the table, only where it can't be clipped we use tape. I've also seen some people use those clips you put on your patio table to keep the table cloth from blowing away. Hope this is of help to you. Good luck!!!
Attached Thumbnails clips.jpg   clips2.jpg  
Old 08-31-2013, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by KarenJ View Post
I use a carpeted floor. Secure the backing with T-pins.
This is what I do also. Or how about knee pads?
Old 09-01-2013, 06:08 AM

Default Sandwiching A Quilt

I don't tape mine down and I do all my pining on my queen sized bed as having had back surgeries, this is the perfect height for me. But then again, my bed takes a step stool to get into. When I could sit and bend more, I used my floor!

Originally Posted by Joselake View Post
I have a great quilting area in the basement.! My design board is a flannel bed sheet and I have a great table for cutting. It was my dining room table with 2 leafs that sits 10. I have everything I need but I still have trouble finding the best way to sandwich my quilts. Sometimes if they are small enough I can do them on the cutting table. Or if they are 48x60 I can add 2 folding tables around my cutting table and use that, since I need room to tape down my backing.

I have a 60x80 and a 97x114 quilt to sandwich and I can't seem to figure a way to tape it down except for on the hard tile floor and get on my knees. I'm not young anymore and it's getting difficult to be on my knees. Any suggestions on how you sandwich your larger quilts?

I know, I know, I can stick to smaller quilts, but sometimes I just get ahead of myself because I love scrap quilts and my creations can get larger than anticipated.
Any advise?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:59 AM

All the methods mentioned are fantastic. I don't sandwich a full large quilt. I divide my quilt into sections quilt then join so much easier on sandwiching and quilting. Saves the shoulders.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I'm not the best at explaining things but will try. Maybe someone else can add to this.

I use large, sweeping motions and apply the Elmer's School Glue fairly quickly, so that just a thin line hits, in any one spot. It ends up being a sort of wide serpentine pattern of thin glue lines. The lines don't have to be that close together but I try to make mine at least every inch or so. If the glue comes out in a blob, I just use the tip of the glue bottle, to smear it a bit. I apply the glue in a serpentine strip from top to bottom, but only 1/4 to 1/2 of the batting width, at a time. This makes it easier to make any needed adjustments, if I put the top on crooked. Anyway, then I position the top onto the batting, lightly pat it down into the glue (it isn't enough glue to soak all the way through) and smooth out the entire top, making sure I have it straight and centered. After the first section is glued on, I fold back the unglued part of the top, then glue another section (top to bottom). I usually end up with a bit of glue on my fingers but it dries quickly and then I can "roll" it off, into the trash basket. If it's more than just a bit, I use a damp paper towel.
Nessie, this is exactly how I do it. The only difference is, after I drizzle the glue, I take a damp sponge brush and gently run it over the glue lines to smooth out the blobs. I let it sit overnight to dry and then quilt. Never had a problem with it coming "unglued" while I'm quilting and it washes out completely. I am sold on Elmer and will never go back to pinning or spraying!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:33 PM

I like the idea of using a sponge. I always glue my binding before I sew it and love it...I have not sandwiched a quilt yet though. Soon...
Originally Posted by crzypatcher View Post
Nessie, this is exactly how I do it. The only difference is, after I drizzle the glue, I take a damp sponge brush and gently run it over the glue lines to smooth out the blobs. I let it sit overnight to dry and then quilt. Never had a problem with it coming "unglued" while I'm quilting and it washes out completely. I am sold on Elmer and will never go back to pinning or spraying!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 AM

My local quilt lets me use their big cutting tables, sometimes if they aren't busy, they even help me!!!