Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: Laminate floor in sewing room

Yes I do have laminate, and I love it. Easy to clean up strings & etc. But Mine is in lower level, so need to wear house shoes & slippers just footies don't work. Also if you have back problems it is hard on the back and legs. SO find a foam or cushion runner ... but easy cleaning.

We have had laminate installed in the entire downstairs (2,600 sq ft) and use area rugs to create 'areas'. We love it! Only the rugs are vaccumed and I use a swiffer to clean laminate. Cleaning the laminate is much easier on my shoulder (rotator cuff surgery) and I can now really clean under the beds. One big difference we noticed after installing the laminate is that the AC filter doesn't have to changed as often because there is less dust in the air as there was with carpet. Will I go back to wall to wall carpet? Not a chance. Our is installed on concrete but does have a cushioned layer beneath and the flooring 'floats' on it. No glue or nails were necessary. The name of the laminate? I am having a SR moment and can't remember but it was not Pergo and came from a bldg supply store.

Would not recommend a very dark shade as it shows absolutely everything and is not forgiving. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

My husband and son put a laminate floor in our sewing/computer room. It's a small room and it only took them one day. We put a small area rug under the rolling desk chair and I put a cushioned floor mat in front of my cutting table(bad knee and hip). I love it--much better than the carpet that was there.

[QUOTE=Jory;3290276]I found something that is cheaper than laminate, impervious to water, easy to install. It's called resilient vinyl flooring, the name brand is "Allure," and it's at Home Depot. It can be a DIY project: about $2.30/sq ft. All kinds of patterns, too: wood, tile, etc. I installed an oak finish in my basement, and it looks fantastic!

The planks already have the backing attached: you can install it right over concrete or underlayment.

Jory[/QUOTE

I also have Allure from Home depot, mu son pulled up my wall to wall for me and installed this in a weekend and it has held up well. I love it and is very easy to care for.

I love it. We put it down about 4 months ago and then put those rubber mats down that snap together under my cutting table area. The flooring is so easy to clean and you can see if you drop something.
    Roxie

Blog Entries
    I need to replace all the carpeting in my home and have been debating with myself over refinishing the oak flooring that is under the carpet or installing a laminate. You've all convinced me that laminate is the way to go, but I will also look into the Allure for the kitchen and bath for comparison. Many thanks to all for your helpful comments.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

I would never go back to wall to wall carpeting. Wood is the best. Easy clean and put a nice area rug and it's comfy.
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I have Shaw brand Country Oak , no problems at all...

Blog Entries
    Would love to replace carpet with either hardwood or laminate! Lucky you
    Last edited by alices; 11-09-2011 at 03:51 AM. Reason: spelling errpr

I just put laminate in my sewing room and love it. I used Pergo - everything moves easily and it is a dream to clean.

Blog Entries
    I have laminate and love it-not sure what brand
    It's not a stash-it's a fabric library!
    http://www.mamisquilts.com/

We have laminate, not only in the studio, but in the entire house. We pulled up the wall-to-wall carpet and installed the laminate ourselves. I use a dust mop to keep the floors in most of the rooms clean. The kitchen and bathrooms get steam mopped fairly regularly. Ours is Quick Step flooring in a chestnut pattern. Most people don't know it's not hardwood unless we tell them. It's one of the best decisions we have made.
    AnnR

Bev

Smile

We recently moved into our retirement home and the first thing we changed was the floors. The former owners had put down wall to wall carpeting. We installed a laminate that is hard to tell from lovely "old" wood. I love, love it! It's so easy to keep clean. And if anyone has allergies, as I do, it's a whole lot better to live with than carpet. Our poor old pooch though, is having a hard time remembering not to try running on it. He goes for a loooong slide every time he does.
    Bev in Florida

Blog Entries
    laminate floor is not indistructable. we got a name brand, and it's just about 3 yrs old. under the office chair in my husbands office, the rollers have discolored the flooring. he refused to have a chair pad. 'said it wasn't neccesary'. etc. no amount of pleading could change his mind.

Blog Entries
    I have wide plank dark laminate. I like it a lot better then the hardwood I had in my last house.
    Got fabric?

I really wanted laminate in mine but we thought it might e to cold in the winter. So I have carpet.

I have re-read this thread and am grateful for all the responses.
    I am wondering about the dogs sliding and injuring themselves since we have three active dogs inside.
    Don't want any knee or ligament problems.
    Also, the warmth issue on floor during cold weather. I go barefoot alot around the house even in winter, but don't want COLD floors.
    We are getting ready to put new floors throughout the house and we have decided on laminate. Now just have to choose brand and color and underlayment type.

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek View Post
    I have re-read this thread and am grateful for all the responses.
    I am wondering about the dogs sliding and injuring themselves since we have three active dogs inside.
    Don't want any knee or ligament problems.
    Also, the warmth issue on floor during cold weather. I go barefoot alot around the house even in winter, but don't want COLD floors.
    We are getting ready to put new floors throughout the house and we have decided on laminate. Now just have to choose brand and color and underlayment type.
    My condo is on a concrete slab and I was a little hesitant about whether it would be cold. It really isn't bad at all - certainly not as cold as you would find if you had tile. It is definitely not "icy". I also think it is possible to have radiant heating with it although I'm not positive of that. It is certainly worth looking into.

As far as the dogs are concerned, yes, mine slides but he's learned to leapfrog around. It is kind of funny to watch. He will come tearing down a straight stretch and then make a great jump to the "safe" area rug. Some of the laminates also have a bit more texture to them which helps. Mine doesn't, but a friend of mine (with a dog) installed hers a couple of years later and got a plank that has some texture - not enough to be a nuisance as far as cleaning, but enough to give the dog a bit more traction.
    Pat

I have laminate flooring in my quilt room, bedroom and foyer, hope to soon have it in the kitchen/dining room.
    LOVE IT! Don't remember the brand, it has been several years now, but it is so easy to keep and doesn't scratch easily.

delma

I would perfer laminate or wood. We have carpet now and I hate it, flooring is easy to clean. And ditto for the sewing room, just a matt under my chair and in front of my cutting table.

I just put it in the house a few months ago. I like it, but it is colder for sure, just gonna have to get some big fruzzy slippers

We have Wilsonart floors. Stronger than laminate but looks like real wood. Being in FL they won't warp in the humidity and are super easy to clean. I have them in the entire house even in the baths and kitchen. I have 3 boys and after 6 years they still look brand new. hope this helps

About a cold floor, there are coils you can put under the floor for warmth. sk your local dealer. (I have ceramic tile in mine and I love it.)
    ~~ Butterflies can't see their wings.
    They can't see how truly beautiful they are,
    but everyone else can. People are kinda like that. ~~

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7