Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Let's Organize Something Today >

Let's Organize Something Today

Let's Organize Something Today

Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

I cleaned off my work table the other day. It seems I am constantly trying to get organized. Sometimes I feel like a hamster on the wheel to no where.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:48 AM

Well, I am going to organize (clear off) my sewing table and portable ironing table so I can SEW today. Once I sew a quilted cover for my new iPhone, I am going to move around the sewing (dining) room to get things back where they belong. Working in 15 minute segments will be perfect for bite-size organizing. Any longer than that and I get side-tracked... easily!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Oh I so need a break for EOY bookkeeping for our business....maybe I will treat myself later today when I decide computer work is too much....

Most of my scrap fabric is organized by color, but like GrammaSue I've been at a loss at what to do with all the snippets..maybe I will trim some of those to useable sizes....
Old 01-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I started organizing my fabrics for a BOM and everything just snowballed. I have all kinds of things I forgot I had pulled out. Now to organize it. I like to start the New Year with a clean sewing room but it never stays that way. Oh well its fun finding all these ufo's. Good luck everyone.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:07 PM

Once upon I thought it'd help to cut them into useful sizes, but as time passed, I ran into the issue of needing a particular color and it was cut too small. So this past summer I stopped. Now I just keep anything smaller than a fat quarter in the scrap boxes. I've found it much more helpful when I need an applique or a larger square to have the biggest pieces possible at the ready.

Originally Posted by GrammaSue View Post
I would really like to organize my scraps. Currently they are divided by color but I have strips, squares, snippets, etc. Can't decide if they should be cut uniformly and if so, to what size. Any suggestions?
Old 01-01-2016, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I did this a week ago so my room is all pristine and waiting for me to mess it up again. I am taking down christmas decor and ready to put it all away today. That of course reveals the dusty counters and furniture. Nevada is a dusty place to live. So I guess my fun job will be to dust clean and put away that stuff and vacuum . I sometimes wonder if the decor is worth the hard work and effort. Don't mind me, I just wanted to join in the fun, but got overwhelmed for a second there. LOL... I just would like to sit and sew. Know what I mean?
I absolutely know what you mean! I took down all my Christmas stuff today, and packed it away with fresh labels. Then I vacuumed everywhere (even the cobwebs on the ceiling hope were not there on Christmas Eve when we hosted!!!

My sewing room is also one of our guest rooms (has a queen size bed in it). My DD has been here using it since Dec 18th and will leave on Monday. However, my BIL will be coming in Sunday afternoon (for my hub's surgery which is Tuesday) and will have to sleep a night in a different guest room (ie my son's room ) which means cleaning and putting on fresh sheets. Waaa. I just want to relax but I can't. I just want to sew but I'm tired.

I'll take a nap and then do something in my sewing room to organize for 15 minutes today. I promise!
Old 01-01-2016, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Sometimes I feel like a hamster on the wheel to no where.

I resemble that remark!

Rob
Old 01-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

I put all my flannel in one section. All unused plastic organizers in one large clear container that way I can check to see if I need it.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:36 PM

When I am done here I will go into my sewing room to work on the Halloween quilt for my daughter that was put aside when family came for a week, then I "had" :-D to make bookmarks for my DD's 5th grade class, then make a quilt as a Christmas gift (which I just finished today) and there was down time for my sewing room as it is also a guest room and family was using it at various times the past few weeks, not to mention that my cutting table is perfect for wrapping too. So the room is fairly organized - but there are pieces of fabric sitting in places they don't belong because I could not resist a sale of some of the Christmas fabrics.

But today I did go on to Amazon and bought a couple eye glass holders - one for my sewing room and one for bedroom. When I sew, I now need a bit more assistance so invested in a couple pairs of readers. Nice to have a few pairs but finding them when I need them can be a challenge, so figured an eye glass holder next to my chair where I sew would help.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
When I am done here I will go into my sewing room to work on the Halloween quilt for my daughter that was put aside when family came for a week, then I "had" :-D to make bookmarks for my DD's 5th grade class, then make a quilt as a Christmas gift (which I just finished today) and there was down time for my sewing room as it is also a guest room and family was using it at various times the past few weeks, not to mention that my cutting table is perfect for wrapping too. So the room is fairly organized - but there are pieces of fabric sitting in places they don't belong because I could not resist a sale of some of the Christmas fabrics.

But today I did go on to Amazon and bought a couple eye glass holders - one for my sewing room and one for bedroom. When I sew, I now need a bit more assistance so invested in a couple pairs of readers. Nice to have a few pairs but finding them when I need them can be a challenge, so figured an eye glass holder next to my chair where I sew would help.

Upon first reading thus, was thinking you bought eyeglass holders to store small supplies! I have two hard cases and I love to keep a bobbin of thread, thimble, scissors and a needle in them, plus a few clips . But yes, they're great for their created purpose, too. Haha.