Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Let's Organize Something Today >

Let's Organize Something Today

Let's Organize Something Today

Old 06-07-2016, 04:36 AM

Tkhooper- good job on completing a project! I know what you mean about working in cluttered surroundings. Sounds like you've got the momentum going to help you finish up the one that's left.

redstilettos- what colors are you using on your cabinets? Is it really necessary to paint them, or do they already look pretty good in the space? Maybe you can break the project down into smaller chunks with a reward after each piece---What about letting yourself play with the go after each cabinet instead of waiting till the whole thing is finished?

Rob
Old 06-07-2016, 06:43 AM

Sometimes if I think about doing a thing I can't get it done. I need to just turn off the brain and turn on the brawn. It's a "Just Do It" attitude. I'll be thinking of you while i practice what I preach.

I hope so rryder, it's been haunting me. And I really want to get to a place where i'm happy with my progress. I guess that means shut down the computer and get to the craft room, lol.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:19 AM

Redstillettos--I agree with rryder. Treat yourself after a mini-chunk is done.

I had the same situation after my daughter moved out and I was taking over her room as a sewing room. While I had dreams for it while she still lived here, I found that grief overwhelmed me. So I followed my sister's advice and put a statute of limitations on the grief. Mind you, she was not dead, she had simply done the normal, natural thing for fledglings to do--she flew the coop, but mama bird was sad.

But only for the week, which is how long I gave myself to sulk and feel sorry for myself and go in that room and cry, or avoid it, or whatever the heck I wanted to do or not do.

One week was the statute of limitations. Then I started making a 3-part list: ideal, must-have, and eventually.

Ideally I wanted a pale yellow color. Hubby made that a reality for me. I made valances and hung roller shades. I put a queen size bed in there, Shaker style off Craiglist, painted it white, as this would be the "guest room" (and little did I know, my room because I snore so loudly it's a favor to my hubby to move in there! LOL . I can sew late into the night and not wake him up, either.)

Must haves were

a craft table to my height
sewing machine table the correct height
Ironing table (I sit to iron, so bought a big kitchen table for 30 bucks at Goodwill.)
Decent storage units: I had various IKEA storage things and dressers and a big closet.

Eventually: these things are evolving, happening as time, will, and money allow.

It was transformational to my mood to indulge the grief knowing that I would cut it off and that I had purposefully given myself something fun to look forward to, the very thing I thought I had dreamed of for several years of "making do" by schepping my machine and all the supplies from upstairs to the dining room to the basement or wherever because all the bedrooms were occupado by 4 kids.

That's my two cents' worth . It may take longer than a week, but I do encourage a statute of limitations on whatever is holding you back. Then make a dream list and a practical list. And put your start date on the calendar. And reward yourself incrementally.

Last edited by zozee; 06-07-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Tkhooper- good job on completing a project! I know what you mean about working in cluttered surroundings. Sounds like you've got the momentum going to help you finish up the one that's left.

redstilettos- what colors are you using on your cabinets? Is it really necessary to paint them, or do they already look pretty good in the space? Maybe you can break the project down into smaller chunks with a reward after each piece---What about letting yourself play with the go after each cabinet instead of waiting till the whole thing is finished?

Rob
I painted the walls a super soft (almost white) yellow. You have to look at the ceiling to see it really isn't white. The cabinets will be a buttercup or soft baby yellow inside and an aqua outside. They are a really crummy colored brown right now. Usable? Yes...pretty? Absolutely not!

I took your advice and broke it into smaller pieces. I sanded the blasted things tonight and then happily closed the door and left the project alone for the remainder of the night. Now when I get an urge to do a little...they are ready. one step down!
Old 06-08-2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
I painted the walls a super soft (almost white) yellow. You have to look at the ceiling to see it really isn't white. The cabinets will be a buttercup or soft baby yellow inside and an aqua outside. They are a really crummy colored brown right now. Usable? Yes...pretty? Absolutely not!

I took your advice and broke it into smaller pieces. I sanded the blasted things tonight and then happily closed the door and left the project alone for the remainder of the night. Now when I get an urge to do a little...they are ready. one step down!
Good job!

I did some organizing in the bathroom today. Cleared a bunch of stuff out from under the sinks and medicine cabinets. Filled a kitchen garbage bag full of stuff that hasn't been used in the last 10 years, including one item that had an expiration date of 1994! YIKES.

It felt good to throw stuff out.

Rob
Old 06-09-2016, 07:43 AM

Hum I could probably do that too. My vitamins expired in 2007.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Good job!

I did some organizing in the bathroom today. Cleared a bunch of stuff out from under the sinks and medicine cabinets. Filled a kitchen garbage bag full of stuff that hasn't been used in the last 10 years, including one item that had an expiration date of 1994! YIKES.

It felt good to throw stuff out.

Rob
LOL....been there!
Old 06-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I folded my laundry today...I'm all caught up until I wash again...some days that's a monumental task...
Old 06-11-2016, 03:07 PM

I pinched a nerve over two weeks ago. Nothing is getting done except making a mess. I move only when I have to move. When it heals I'll have an entire house to do. Hope it happens soon. Anyone know where the house cleaning angel resides?
Old 06-11-2016, 04:45 PM

Sorry to hear about the pinched nerve. Hope it heals soon.

Rob