Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Machine Presser Feet Organization

Machine Presser Feet Organization

Problem: I have the Janome 15000 and it came with 24 feet, I purchased 5 extras, and recently in the upgrade received 5 more feet for a total of 34 presser feet. It came with an accessory case that holds the original feet but now I have 10 more that won't fit in the specially designed tray. I won't even mention the needle plates.... or the other accessory items that came with this machine. But the case is no longer able to accommodate the "extras".
    I am pretty sure this is not unique to the 15000, other machines these days must have a lot of feet since there is a special one for each task. so......where else to go for ideas but this forum.
    Question: How do you organize and store your machine feet?
    Just looking for ideas on how you do it.... a special container, something you made, found, adapted. Just looking to get a new idea I had not thought of.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share.
    Murphy

I purchased a plastic container with dividers in it from Menards. Each square or rectangle is marked with painters tape the letter/name of the foot. The container slides perfectly under my extension table.

I don't have that particular issue but I think I would be looking at fishing tackle boxes. Lots of small dividers with trays that usually stack and separate upon opening the top. Or something similar in an auto parts store for all of those little bits that - at least in our household - never make it back into the case they started!

That's a lot of feet! You could use one of these boxes as it has 48 compartments.

http://www.joann.com/creative-option...9.html#start=1

I have used these for organizing feet for each machine. Make labels for each of the blue dividers. You might check the fishing/tackle departments for a double layered box like this. I use a similar box for sewing tools and it's easy to take to class. These boxes have larger compartments for ruffler foot, etc.

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/plano...ided-organizer
    Last edited by Rhonda K; 11-06-2017 at 04:44 AM.

This is also a favorite with our group. It opens like a book. Again add your labels to each compartment. Works well for all the small feet as it contains everything if you accidentally drop it. This system won't hold any of the larger feet though.

http://www.joann.com/craft-mates-loc...2Bmate&start=1

The dividers are removable to allow for different sizes.Name:  1ADEE4F3-5957-4A41-BE7E-E80E536787C4.jpeg
Views: 1308
Size:  1.87 MB

I use a box similar to lilli480's. Used an HP label maker to put a label on the box cover over each foot so I'd know what it was and could return them to the right spot when I finish with them.
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

I have a plastic box with moveable dividers that I bought years ago at Sears (I think). They have them at all the home improvement stores and probably Harbor Freight. I use them for a lot of things. I also have one for needles and one for loose buttons. I find them very handy.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I made a sewing roll (similar to a jewellery roll) used clear vinyl to make pouches and I can see my feet at a glance.

Thank you for the great ideas. The Double sided tackle box looks intriguing. It would be great to get ALL the accessories in one container. Will have to see in person but I know where to look now. I also have a couple of the double sided thread boxes, also am looking for new way to organize thread and when I come up with a better system than I currently have, will have a couple of those types of containers to "re-purpose".
    And I have not heard of the Craft Mates Lockables but definitely gonna check those out too.
    I knew this was the place to ask......
    Thanks again

I got a jewelry bag on a hanger. It has about 50 clear pockets,. Made a label for each foot and they have their own pocket. I think I got it at 5 below. works great. I have one for each machine and they are on a command hook behind or beside the machine they belong too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    This is also a favorite with our group. It opens like a book. Again add your labels to each compartment. Works well for all the small feet as it contains everything if you accidentally drop it. This system won't hold any of the larger feet though.

Rhonda K, thanks! I am not sure what I need this for at the moment, but I love it and just ordered it!
    Enjoy your day,
    Jan used to be in FL when she chose this user name

A fat quarter is not a body part!

I have a Janome 14000 and I found that Harbor Freight has a good selection of storage at very low prices.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/40-bin...wer-94375.html
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Blog Entries
    I bought one at Harbor Freight that has dividers you can customize. I especially like that it has a handle to make it easier to grab and go.!

mac
    Wow, what great ideas, everyone.

I have an old Bernina 1530 and one day I finally sprung for one of their expensive boxes to hold the feet in it. Boy, was I disappointed when I ran out of space and also found out that some of the feet really didn't fit into this special box. I was kicking myself for wasting the money.

Now, I have a Janome 6600 and I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out where to put the extra feet (of which some are over-sized) to keep them readily accessable. Now I know.

Have you thought about taking items out of the lower trays that you don't need as often and putting the feet there? Will they fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
    Have you thought about taking items out of the lower trays that you don't need as often and putting the feet there? Will they fit?
    I did consider just re-doing the zippered case, but had it in my head that a flat all in one type container that would hold all of them on one level (so to speak) and the Plano fishing lure boxes seem most appealing right now. But I haven't given up on that case yet. It does have some openings in the lower trays.

Hi all....thanks for all the great ideas. I did find two Plano boxes on Amazon and have ordered them. They were pretty inexpensive and If they don't work, I can use them for my other two machines's feet. or beads, or buttons or something. LOL
    Amazon has a lot of Plano tackle boxes. I was surprised at the sheer number of them.
    Will let you know how it turns out.
    Thanks again

Last week, Fons and Porter’s show gave a tip of using pill boxes, the kind that hold a week or so of pills. They come in many sizes and some even have slots for 21 pills.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post

This one is very similar to some other storage containers that Plano (mentioned above) makes - Plano makes a variety of different size storage containers for fishing etc., and you should be able to find one that meets your needs. I wasn't certain from the original post if you were looking for one organizer to hold everything or simply something additional to store the add-ons...
    Good luck!
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Blog Entries
    I purchase organizers in the fishing department and the tool department.Much better quality, better choices and usually less expensive than in the sewing dept.

Blog Entries
    I use plastic organizers similar to what lilli480 uses. The movable dividers are great to accomodate the different sizes and odd shapes.
    Deb

I found an extra container with dividers that I purchased when I was acquiring a lot of hot fixed jewels. I'm able to make the compartment whatever size (up to a point) to fit the foot. For the newer feet I add the label underneath the foot so I know what the heck the foot is called and/or has instructions how to use it. I keep the container next to my sewing machine so I can grab whenever the mood strikes me.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

mac
    Great idea, Snooze. Some feet are either really long or extra large and are hard to fit in the 'one-size-fits-all' boxes.