Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My FQ and scrap storage

My FQ and scrap storage

I've been using these small Sterilite containers for FQs (and scraps that are roughly that size) for years. They're inexpensive, they stack nicely, they're just the right size for a folded FQ, and it's easy to see the fabrics. I've purchased them in many different colors in the past. Sometimes I find these in the household department with other storage items, and sometimes I find them in office supplies.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...Black/17126915

For most of my smaller scraps, I use plastic shoe boxes (shown on the right). I separate by color or style of fabric and tape a label on the front, making it relatively easy to find what I want. The fabrics are stored flat in the boxes, so they don't usually need pressing when I take them out.

I don't even want to count how many shelves I have containing these containers and shoe boxes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm drooling over your fat quarters--- Great storage ideas.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Outstanding way to organize your FQ's. I'm just beginning to think of ways to do the same so I can find/use all the ones I have. That looks like a pretty good way!!

Power Poster
    ​Nicely organized!

Blog Entries
    Looks great!

Wow! Very nice.

I have at least 2 very large tote bags that are stuffed and overflowing with scraps. Dozens of plastic bins stuffed with all other sizes of fabric stacked all over the floor. I've tried to, kind of, sort by colors and sizes, but it's not happening. I have no idea where anything is. When I decide to start a project, I go into this mess and hunt for pieces that go together... somehow. Woe is me! I think you are wonderful to be so organized. Maybe my name should be "SloppySusan"

Blog Entries
    Great organization! I am in the process of rethinking my system. What I mostly need to do is quit shopping! Lol
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    Great organization. I have my FQ sorted by color also. For some colors my bins are getting to small. I need bins to sort the smaller pieces by color also. I wish mine looked that neat. I am trying to clean up my sewing room mess but I keep getting distracted by all of the pretty fabrics and starting new projects.

That looks terrific. I'd be tempted to sit and stare instead of grab and sew.

Quote Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
    Wow! Very nice.

I have at least 2 very large tote bags that are stuffed and overflowing with scraps. Dozens of plastic bins stuffed with all other sizes of fabric stacked all over the floor. I've tried to, kind of, sort by colors and sizes, but it's not happening. I have no idea where anything is. When I decide to start a project, I go into this mess and hunt for pieces that go together... somehow. Woe is me! I think you are wonderful to be so organized. Maybe my name should be "SloppySusan"
    Haha! Another Sloppy Susan here! Right now my sewing room looks like a herd of buffalo ran through it. I'm doing the Mystery Train and rummaged through everything to find one thing. UGH
    Dunster- that looks great!

I use those plastic rolling drawer units I found at Walmart. They are perfect for holding a LOT of FQ's!
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Blog Entries
    I have a number of large baskets with handles. I have separated my FQ and scraps into types and colors and stand these up inside the baskets which are about that depth. Whenever I am getting ready for a project I grab the basket and relocate to my cutting table where I can put it at eye level.
    I really like your system of the clear totes.

Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
    Great organization! I am in the process of rethinking my system. What I mostly need to do is quit shopping! Lol
    You are so right! I've put myself on a fabric diet this year. I haven't been 100% good at following it, but much better than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tudey View Post
    I use those plastic rolling drawer units I found at Walmart. They are perfect for holding a LOT of FQ's!
    I have several of those too, but they're filled with other things. Most recently I started using them for my longarm thread cones, to keep them from getting dusty.

I am in the process of cleaning out! Hard to do, as I paper piece, quilt, embroider so am always in need of different colors and sizes. Love being able to go thru my stash and find just the right piece.
    Respect one another

Blog Entries
    i had that same shelving unit. gave it to my son when I moved back to Texas. bought myself two wire black ones. have one in my sewing room and one inside the closet there. shelves about 15 inches tall.

Nice job Dunster!! just last week i decided to also organize and like Tudey I bought the plastic 3 and 5 drawer carts from Walmart. I am hoping it will help me see what i actually have instead of having to dig through piles LOL! I am hoping to end up with results like yours

Great idea. Thanks for sharing it.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Nicely done, Dunster! Organized to easily find what you want. Fun fabrics you have too.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Looks neat and tidy...I like your idea of the shoe boxes by color. I might have to get some smaller bins like that to further separate my scraps by color. I don’t have a lot of FQs but I do have a ton of scraps.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

If I had those small bins on deep, wide shelves there would almost immediately be stuff piled up in front of them. Then when I'd get disgusted with myself for hiding the good stuff, I might "reorganize" by finding other storage things to fit behind the cute bins of fqs, and those would soon fill up with stuff I forgot I had until I got into one of my "I-know-it's-here-somewhere" frenzies. Never underestimate the power of a slob to defeat great organizing methods!
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Blog Entries
    I think I should shop for fabric at your house! Love how organized you are!
    Mavis

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
    If I had those small bins on deep, wide shelves there would almost immediately be stuff piled up in front of them. Then when I'd get disgusted with myself for hiding the good stuff, I might "reorganize" by finding other storage things to fit behind the cute bins of fqs, and those would soon fill up with stuff I forgot I had until I got into one of my "I-know-it's-here-somewhere" frenzies. Never underestimate the power of a slob to defeat great organizing methods!
    I am guilty of stacking stuff on the shelves in front of the bins. And the quilting room is seldom really tidy. I just took a picture when it looked that way.

Great organization Dunster!!!!

I have several totes that are designed to go under beds. They are the perfect height to stand fat quarters in on their edges (imagine books with the spines upwards), sorting them by colours, themes etc. I have about four which are stacked in a wardrobe to keep them out of the light.

Scraps are kept in plastic shoe boxes, but they are rapidly out growing this size!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast