One touch rule

Old 04-18-2020, 11:15 AM

My problem is that often times I don't have a place to put stuff-- it doesn't have a designated spot. So when I pick it up, I have a dear-in-headlights look, because I don't know where to put stuff... this is mostly in my bedroom, my sewing room has spots for most stuff....
Old 04-18-2020, 05:05 PM

Default One Thing That Helped Me

Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
My problem is that often times I don't have a place to put stuff-- it doesn't have a designated spot. So when I pick it up, I have a dear-in-headlights look, because I don't know where to put stuff... this is mostly in my bedroom, my sewing room has spots for most stuff....
My sewing place was so piled up and I was so frustrated. Finally, I got a box and put everything in it that did not have a proper place. Then I found a place to put bigger piles of quilt tops waiting to be quilted. Just moving these things off my work surfaces really helped. The next day, I was able to find homes for the items in the box.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:28 PM

I am trying to get rid of the stuff in my sewing room that I no longer want. The one touch rule is nice in theory but not something that works for me. So I have been going through my bins of fabric and if I don't like it - it goes into a rather large box. (The thrift stores are not accepting donations at this time so it will be with me for a while.) Tools and items that I no longer use will go into another box and await the return to a somewhat normal state again. But I do have a question - I have templates and do you believe I should offer them to folks here first or just put them in the box? Some were used - some were not. Since I have the Accuquilt Go I have come to the realization the likelihood of them every being used is slim to none.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
... But I do have a question - I have templates and do you believe I should offer them to folks here first or just put them in the box? Some were used - some were not. Since I have the Accuquilt Go I have come to the realization the likelihood of them every being used is slim to none.
Posting them in the Offers forum would be a great start. You can ask for reimbursement of postage if you want.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:46 AM

I have been trying to do this in my sewing room. It works for a while then I start a project and it seems the plan fails as I end up with a mess I then have to tackle. I will keep trying as when I follow it I am happier!
Old 04-19-2020, 03:50 AM

Good Advice. I may have to give that one a try. For years as I have shop hopped Quilt Stores I have a 3 touch rule. If I pick it up 3 times, take it home. It's amazing how some fabrics are like a magnet and just jump into my hand, especially precuts.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

That's why l like almost bare countertops and surfaces. I can see at a glance what doesn't belong on them. I started my kids young to put things away. Away usually meant tossed in their room but it was out of the main living areas.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
After you use the rule for a while, I bet you find much less to put away. I read somewhere about another "rule" and I have used since fall and it is fab-u-lous! I never leave a room empty handed. For instance, if I am going from living room to kitchen, I take the mug of tea that has gone cold with me to the kitchen. In other words, I don't allow "stuff" to settle down in a room. Then apply the above rule. Don't set the mug of cold tea on the counter. Either warm it up to drink or throw it out and put the mug in the dishwasher or where you put dirty dishes.

After a couple of months of this, I have formed a habit that works for me. Low pressure and a much, neater home in general. Home is not perfect like in the magazines, but it is also ready to great unexpected guests. Besides, no one lives in the perfect magazine home. The greatest benefit for me is that I can accomplish my cleaning day routine more quickly and with a better attitude. End result, more time for quilting or reading or.........
The above method was taught to be by my mom and I have it etched in my brain " Always leave a room better then you found it" One habit I have always done is end of the night pick up. I hate starting the next day with leftovers from the day before so I make a sweep of the kitchen/living room before I go to bed. Yes I am alittle OCD lol
Old 05-09-2020, 05:20 AM

I have a similar saying that has helped me for years. “Now or Later”. Someone made this remark about cutting threads as you go. I have applied it to almost everything I do. At some point it has to be done. Why not now and it’s done I apply this to small tasks.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:09 AM

Multi-tasker is an understatement. Quilting is only one of my hobbies. I also cut glass to make stained glass panels and have hundreds of sheets of glass to store and organize. Plus...mosaics, etc. I get project ideas before finishing current project(s).
My strategy is to set a timer for 10 minutes to pick up and straighten up. It doesn't make the task seem overwhelming, and when the timer goes off, I keep going until comfortable stopping.