Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE!! Button Storage Suggestions-PLEASE!!

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icon17 View Post
    I was lucky! my hubby got lots of the clear plastic containers at work free; the ones with small divided spaces you can adjust that have lids that flip open and lock down tite. They work great and you can see all the colors.
    This is my system, too. I didn't get this lucky, but I did score them at $2 each on the clearance rack at Walmart. Just figure out how to use what you're able to find. For beads I use some plastic bottles that my dil gave me from when the baby was in the NICU. She would pump and freeze her milk to take to the hospital, but they didn't allow her to reuse the bottles, so they really stacked up quickly. When she asked if I could use them, I gladly said yes. Just make whatever you're able to get work.

I use clear plastic fishing tackle boxes & sort by color. Works great for jewelry too!
    Joraymo

Blog Entries
    I just DUMP into a big glass or plastic gallon jar
    and enjoy all the colors together.
    J J

I like to store mine in old glass jars on the top of my cabinets so I can see them and enjoy them!
    Country 1

Blog Entries
    I am another mason jar, different sizes 3, lg., med., and small. So easy to see and looks good.
    They are a little blue color. I also have a small clear for hard candy, just incase, my throat tickles
    and I need one or two.

I like the idea of the see-thru jars or plastic so you can see the colors.
    unclefreckles' Grandma

The small "Mason-type CANDLE" jars are what I use after I have finished the CANDLE to sort my buttons by color. I have them lined up on one shelf and they look so pretty. Nice touch is that even after washing the jars, they still have a faint "special smell."

This summer at a church sale, I found an old round jar that sits on its lid" to use for buttons but I am out of buttons. So now I have one empty round glass container waiting for buttons.
    Carol

Banned
    Blog Entries
    jars, tins, butter tubs, you name it...be creative and repurpose something!

The other day, while browsing an antique store, I saw a beautiful antique display case intended for jewelry. I almost bought it for my buttons. It must have had about 50 or more little compartents all under glass . It would be so pretty filled with buttons. I am still kicking myself for talking myself into being frugal instead of extravagant.

I went to the hardware section at Wal Mart and bought one of those small cabinets with lots of little drawers in it that are supposed to be for nails and screws. I then used my dymo labeler and made each drawer for a different color button. I took the buttons off the cards and sorted them according to color. I also got a smaller one and used it for my sewing machine needles and attachement feet for my sewing machine, all marked with my labeler as to what size/type of needle is in each drawer or what the name of the foot is. Works fantastically.

living in Hampton Roads area (Chesapeake, VA) originally from S Beloit, IL
    I inherited some buttons. I placed the matching sets in the small (1x3 or 2x3)zip lock bags. Making sure there was a slit in the bag for air circulation. I sorted them by color. Now all I have to do is dump out the larger container. For that, I use the plastic tub containers that cherry tomatoes come in. They stack easily and hold many packets. I have a larger bags for the singles.

Besides prescription bottles, try urine bottles..you know..he ones at your doctor's office they use for urinalysis.

I use decorative jars and vases for mine. Some of the fun is in looking for mates
    Mona Marie
    I am too Blessed to be stressed and too Anointed to be disappointed

I use a shoe box with zip lock bags. One bag for gold, one for black, one for "utility" buttons, one for orphans and then one for buttons still on the card. I use button rarely, but when I do, this seems to work for me. I like the idea someone had of stringing like buttons together, because I will find a button I want to use and then spend time trying to figure out if there is one more...if they were strung, I would know instantly. I learn so much here, thank you everyone!!!
    Michelle Guadarrama

Blog Entries
    I store buttons like I store small items for my scrapbooking. I get clear fising tackle storage cases from Wal-Mart. They are clear, have a lid, and measure about 2.5 inches tall and 6-7 inches long. The compartments on the inside are able to be changed for smaller or larger items because the dividers are moveable. They stack easily on shelves, and my cats don't like to play with the boxes like they enjoy playing with bottles and jars. I've lost many bottles thanks to my cats.

My boxes look a lot like this: http://www.yourfishingtipconnection....097793757.html

I have so many buttons it's embarrasing. I have them in the gallon size green/blue mason jars, shoe boxes,old tins,and even an old bread box. I love them all!
    If you choose the behavior, you accept the consequences...Dr. Phil

I have a problem making myself tearaway the buttons from the cards. I have several antique cards from a collection of my dear relatives. It is fun to see they only paid .10c for the entire card. I think my button cards may be worth mega dollars when my great grandchildren are needing them.lol How would you store buttons on cards in small spaces?
    Sew Gramie Sew

I put the matching buttons on large safty pins. Then I sort them by color into medium or small plastic storage drawers.

I keep my buttons in sandwich sized zip locks by color, or strung together as sets, in a huge metal tin. Then there are the carded ones I keep in a fabric covered box. Then there is the buckles and other clothing closures in another fabric covered box. I inherited my mom's buttons, also my older sister's and best friend's when they gave up sewing. So I combined them with mine and a button tin I found when I was a teenager, that is one huge collection! I had to have a system, however simple to find anything. LOL! Now, I can open whichever one I need in a jiffy. Oh... All the antique ones are in a very old sewing covered sewing basket, I forgot about those.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 04-12-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I buy the sets of drawers at Menard's used for screws and whatever for the workbench. These have from 9 to 60 drawers with dividers in them. Works great to put different color in each drawer. You can see the color through front of drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    Mason jars from Big Lots holds lot of buttons.
    As an antique button collector let me just remind you that you should not cover your buttons in their containers. They need to breathe. If they are in a tin box, the metal ones will rust. Newer, plastic buttons are pretty safe anywhere and probably even covered (like in plastic baggies).

Quote Originally Posted by johnniesgirl View Post
    Mine are in a pretty decorative round tin. They have some pretty ones out there.
    Please leave the top of the tin open. Your buttons will rust or end of breaking if any of them are celluloid or bakelite. Metal buttons will rust if kept in closed tins.

To keep my, then 10 year old, grand daughter busy one summer gave her the task to sort my buttons. At the time was allocated to mason jars, plastic shoe box totes and cookie tins. Alot of buttons!~ She asked for plastic bags and a marker. She sorted by color, shades of the same color and then labled each bag. Since then I have kept her system, she will be 19 next month. Keeping all the plastic bags in one clear plastic tote makes looking for buttons easy. Sometimes children make come up with the obvious simple solutions to problems.
    Daisydoodle
    Plant a garden and watch for miraclesÂ….

My button storage system evolved as my collection grew over the years. I started with baggies in a drawer, to small jars each dedicated to a specific color and placed on display in my studio. Space became an issue as the collection and jar size increased so I made the choice to toss all the cards and just save the buttons because I intend to use them. All of my buttons are currently stored in one gallon pickle jars on my shelf for quick visibility and inspiration. The categories are divided as follows: metal, browns, black/gray, blues/greens, white/cream, all other colors. I also use the gallon jars to store empty thread spools, scrabble letters, dominoes and other collectibles for mixed-media art projects. I've discovered that my creativity increased having my tools and supplies 'visually on display' instead of hidden behind cabinets and in drawers. When I do have to stack supplies on shelves or under tables, I store things in clear containers.
    Last edited by Judebug; 05-01-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    "Believe you can and you're halfway there." ~Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

http://wwwjudywedemeyer.blogspot.com/

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I found a lot of jars at Walmart that look old but are brand new. All different shapes and sizes. Cool, unique looking, kind of old fashioned. I put mine in by color. I have quite a few jars. I love buttons. I am a sucker for buttons!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast