Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Comic Boards and Fabric Organizers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/comic-boards-fabric-organizers-t279627.html)

Just Jan 06-16-2016 04:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use magazine boards. They are a bit larger (and maybe stiffer?) They are the perfect size and I use one per fabric. They measure 8 1/2 x 11. I keep an old rotary cutter with a used blade and cut some in half to 4 1/2 x 11 for smaller than 2 yard pieces. I buy mine on Ebay which saves me time, energy, and money.

tessagin 06-16-2016 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos (Post 7578330)
What are you buying at the Dollar Store? I am confused. But curious!

interested to know is it $1.00 a pack?

ManiacQuilter2 06-16-2016 06:13 AM

I have recycled the cardboard bolts that the fabric is wrapped on by the fabric manufacturer. I need to find something else to use since the closet doors in this apt are a little under 22" in depth (size of bolts are usually 22"). Thanks for posting this question.

Mary73162 06-16-2016 06:13 AM

Folded and on the shelf is what I do, also. I was having trouble with my stacks leaning (have one very deep shelf) so I bought, also at the $ store or at a discount store, aluminum, disposable cookie sheets....stand those vertically between your stacks for stability!!!! Works wonderfully....and who knows? Someday i might make cookies! (nah--not until I can't hold a needle or push the foot pedal! :) )

Diannia 06-16-2016 06:36 AM

I bought the plastic ones and like them fine (just not the cost). I also use the Dollar Tree foam boards and cut my own. I used the leftover pieces to wrap my FQ's on!

Pegasus 06-16-2016 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom (Post 7578301)
I used comic book boards, then quit. Too much folding to get the fabric on them, then too much unfolding and adjusting to get the fabric ready to cut. Now, I just ruler fold my fabric and stack it on the shelf. Takes up less room too.

I do this too and keep the fabric in drawers. As pretty as fabric filled bookshelves are, my house gets dusty too fast to risk the fabric getting dingy.

ladydukes 06-16-2016 07:16 AM

I also use comic boards that are acid-free. I purchased them in lots of 500. I have all of my yardage fabric (except fabric that's more like a bolt) folded on comic boards. Instead of having them standing up, I folded my fabrics the other direction. That way, I can get more on my shelving units.

ShirlinAZ 06-16-2016 07:53 AM

I ruler fold, then stand my fabric on the shelf like the comic board users do. My shelves are 12" deep so I use my 8 1/2" wide ruler to fold on. Works great and I can get a lot more fabric on a shelf. I do have 2 pieces of cardboard that I use to open a place to put new fabric in. I can't see wasting space and money to leave folded fabric on. Just try different ways and do what works for you.

Podunk Princess 06-16-2016 08:07 AM

I have always used the acrylic one from Polar Notions. They are wonderful and worth the long-term investment. They hold several yards of fabric, never bend, and the edges will not wear/tear like cardboard ones do. I know they cost more than the cardboard but they are well worth it IMHO.

roserips 06-16-2016 10:26 AM

I have been given the plastic advertising signs for businesses then cut them up for my boards, I also ruler fold a lot of my fabric these two methods sure take a lot less room.