Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Comic Boards and Fabric Organizers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/comic-boards-fabric-organizers-t279627.html)

SittingPretty 06-16-2016 11:04 AM

I bought some comic book boards. Had my fabric all stacked up neatly in my totes, and could flip thru them like a filing system. Then I would pull out my fabric to use it. After a while, it got to be just too much trouble to keep refolding it. Also, since my stash is not all that large, my fabric fits nicely into the totes by just folding the pieces.

SittingPretty 06-16-2016 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7578447)
interested to know is it $1.00 a pack?

I think she's buying foamcore board. Someone else once posted that that is what she uses.

Cam's gram 06-16-2016 12:18 PM

I have fat quarters folded in the shoe cubbies, more material than that is on the comic boards. and long lengths of fabric is on acid free foam boards I cut the same size as the cardboard bolts from the stores.

yel 06-16-2016 02:11 PM

someone gave me a few of those plastic ones i use them......i fold my pieces of fabric around them then slide them out so all fabric is folded in 3 sizes ...small one ....med one for around 2 yards and then i got a big one and flat folded [like they ruler fold but the board is the width of the shelf] the shelf is neat ...somewhat color organized ...but nothing gets lost you can see it all...

mary705 06-17-2016 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by SittingPretty (Post 7578701)
I think she's buying foamcore board. Someone else once posted that that is what she uses.

That's what I use from Dollar Tree, the foam boards.

Wanabee Quiltin 06-17-2016 05:23 AM

I bought a whole pack of those comic boards and I did like them. I don't care for them anymore. I think it has to do with your 'neatness' factor. I don't have it. I am very neat with my house, but when I am digging into my box of fabric, I pull out a piece and spread it out and then hate to fold it back up.

mjhaess 06-17-2016 05:40 AM

I use the foam board from the dollar store. I cut in in 6 piecesric on. and it is wonderful to store fabric on.

junegerbracht 06-17-2016 02:29 PM

I use the comic boards single thickness - purchased on Amazon. I then store them like books on a book shelf. Makes it easy to store by color, fabric type etc. It took me a while to organize but now I can see what I have at a glance. I force myself to put things back where they belong. No longer waste time finding the perfect piece that I know I have but don't know where it is. Find what works for you.

tessagin 06-17-2016 03:16 PM

I tell myself it only takes a few seconds now verses how many minutes later!

Originally Posted by junegerbracht (Post 7579665)
I use the comic boards single thickness - purchased on Amazon. I then store them like books on a book shelf. Makes it easy to store by color, fabric type etc. It took me a while to organize but now I can see what I have at a glance. I force myself to put things back where they belong. No longer waste time finding the perfect piece that I know I have but don't know where it is. Find what works for you.

tessagin 06-17-2016 03:21 PM

My shelves are 24" in depth and I really didn't need the bolts to be that long. I just cut a couple inches or more off the ends and split them then taped with duct tape or like a cap.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7578459)
I have recycled the cardboard bolts that the fabric is wrapped on by the fabric manufacturer. I need to find something else to use since the closet doors in this apt are a little under 22" in depth (size of bolts are usually 22"). Thanks for posting this question.