Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Gave up my room! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/gave-up-my-room-t256304.html)

mamagrande 11-03-2014 05:35 PM

Gave up my room!

My son was building a storage room 20 x 20and was adding 12 feet for a sewing room for my HQ16 quilting machine. He is a building contractor and started it over a year ago...we were praying that his business would thrive and he does not have much time to work on it...

So a few weeks ago I made a decision to give up waiting for that room and just fix the room that I am using now. Why did I do that? My reasoning is this, I am 73 years old, my house is over 2,200 sf and it is now just my husband and I. Why would I want to leave a warm house and go to another room and wait until it warms up?? My DH would be alone in the house and be "visiting" me at my room.

I still have a spare room for company and as we Mexicans say "toda mi casa es cama", (all my house is a bed). We also have two large sofas, so we can still host.

Room is 13 x 14 ft.I took our the doors to the closets, they total 100", put in 5 shelves, I will try to post pictures. I am not quite finished need to get some curtains for the closets, take out the extra bed frame and get a better table and chair.

I am not sure how to post pictures, so if I do i will do it later.

delma_paulk 11-03-2014 05:39 PM

Sounds Good! Hope you finish it soon!

delma

quiltingcandy 11-03-2014 05:50 PM

Sounds like you made a great decision! Enjoy your space.

shadoh 11-03-2014 05:56 PM

Good for ...that sounds so sensible, not having to go to another room. So much more 'companiable'...

Joset 11-04-2014 04:55 AM

sounds great to me

LITTLEOLDME 11-04-2014 05:25 AM

The outer room will work when finished ,but I agree with you why wait. I have my sewing in the sun room, had to do alot of instillation to it but it's bigger than any room but the family room . Then the long arm is set up in the family room, we don't have a lot of company often so this works we can use the living room when company comes.

Michellesews 11-04-2014 05:34 AM

Very smart thinking. I bought my house because it had an added wing that used to be a MIL suite. I removed a wall and closet to enlarge what was the "living area and kitchenette and make it all one space. There is a full bath and small room behind that, that is my sewing room. My long arm fits perfectly. I would NEVER want to leave the house even to go to an outside shop on the property. I can quilt in my PJs, know what is going on in the house etc. for 30 years as a nurse I dreamed of having a fun business in my home so that would really defeat the purpose. I think you made a very smart decision!

orangeroom 11-04-2014 05:58 AM

Sometimes patience pays off! Looks like it did for you!

Wanabee Quiltin 11-04-2014 07:10 AM

I think you made a good decision. I recently bought a LA and we cleared out the extra bedroom in the lower level that we used as a storage area. We need to be comfortable and enjoy our hobby as we can.

Macybaby 11-04-2014 07:18 AM

I gave up my dining room. It was the only room in our old house that was long enough to fit a 12' frame in. I also considered a separate studio, but decided I didn't want to have to come back to the house for snacks and potty breaks!

we never used the dining room for eating, it was more of a "display" room than anything LOL!! But I did keep my crystal chandelier. It's not a big one, but I love the rainbows of color it throws when the morning light comes in the windows.

DH and I are still building the new "machine shed" but it's going to only house my vintage sewing machine collection. Getting all those machines out of the house is sure going to be nice though!