Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Sewing Cabinet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/sewing-cabinet-t250479.html)

just joan 07-22-2014 04:49 AM

I have one similar to that be it closes up from the front and looks like a night stand. Yes it was pricey but to me it was worth every cent. I can store my machine in it and it dose save space. Like you I sew in a small bed room. JoAn

alwaysstitching 07-22-2014 08:58 AM

I have a cheap Walmart cabinet that is serving me very well. It was a "you put together" cabinet that I ordered from Walmart.com. It folds up to a very compact cabinet, but has storage for the machine, shelves, plus "baskets" on the door for supplies.

PenniF 07-22-2014 09:20 AM

I can echo "alwaysstitching"...i bought the cabinet from Walmart on line..it was about $110.00. Got ship to store free....put it together myself. I LOVE it. closes and looks like a piece of furniture - has storage in the doors and on the side. You should check out their site before you decide.

tlpa 07-22-2014 09:54 AM

I need to localize my sewing as well. Good job for getting it done!!

cashs_mom 07-22-2014 10:05 AM

I would also be interested to know what it's made out of. From the pictures it appears to be pressed wood and since I didn't see any mention of the type of wood used, I would guess it is pressed wood. I'd have a hard time paying much of anything for pressed wood. It's not that durable especially if it happens to get wet.

lalaland 07-22-2014 10:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Before you spend the money, please check out the Sauder cabinet. I ordered this and it was shipped to the local Walmart for pick up. I only paid $119 for it but you can get it for $99 when it goes on sale.

lalaland 07-22-2014 11:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Sauder cabinet doesn't have the inset for the machine, I use my sew steady table to create a level sewing surface.

If you want to be able to put you machine down level with the table, look into the Arrow table. They have a couple of different ones and they are priced based on the size of the machine. The lift mechanism is manual and adjusts to different heights. The pictures below are of the one I have. Because my machine was older, and not as wide as the newer machines, I had to put in inserts in the gaps (I cut up a thick plastic place mat to make the inserts). The table cost less than $150.

CurliQ 07-22-2014 11:18 AM

Well that's kaboshed. Because I live in AK, it was going to be 450.00 for shipping. I'm going to see if my local sewing machine place can order it for me. Thanks, everyone for the great information! I'll keep looking.

Kathy Osterby 07-22-2014 02:41 PM

Do you have an old office desk that has all the drawers? I got 1 from a friend and he cut the center to fit my machine with a shelf so it was flush with the top of the desk. I love it and since it was "free" even better.

farmquilter 07-22-2014 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by jbj137 (Post 6811272)
*** Too expensive for me.
*** I would shop CL to see if I coud find something else.
*** If it is particle (MDF) I would pass on it.

I agree on all comments.