Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What are we organizing today 2019 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-we-organizing-today-2019-a-t301969.html)

oksewglad 01-27-2019 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8200718)
Great use of leftover triangles, OK! I have used some of mine, but have to admit, most just get dropped into the trash bin. Maybe I should be saving them for you!

Oh I have plenty SBG! Last winter I made custom sized fabric bins for some plastic drawers just for specific HST's. These bright to dark triangles I'm using to make Maverick star blocks as a L&E project (and not cutting off the backs when I sew them to my base squares!) My lights are being used to put in the corners of a small economy block. This quilt has 56 blocks requiring 20 HST's so that's 1120 triangles I need. I have about 20 of the main block done.

HST's are also handy to put in the corners of string or crumb blocks.

sewbizgirl 01-27-2019 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 8200756)

HST's are also handy to put in the corners of string or crumb blocks.

Ahh... true. Hadn't thought of that!

Bobbinalong 01-27-2019 12:43 PM

I also save HSTs for corners of QAYG string blocks for Linus quilts oksewglad.

If I've got a lot of HSTs to trim from a project, snowballs for example, I do sew a second time 1/2" from the stitch line so that when it is cut, I already have both triangles sewn together. IYSWIM

Quiltah Mama 01-27-2019 05:56 PM

Oksewglad, I never would have thought to use HST like you have. I admire people like you. All of them are beautiful. Mine go in the trash, but now I'm rethinking that. :thumbup:

retiredteacher09 01-27-2019 06:31 PM

Oksewglad: Thanks for showing your use of the HSTs. I forget that I can use them for the corners of the diagonally-pieced strip blocks. I love the looks of those blocks but I am not a fan of sewing them for some reason although I will occasionally make them. I love your cow!

I sometimes cut too many triangles with my die cutter so I put them in a bag labeled with die number and finished size. When I am doing a scrappy pattern that needs triangles made into HSTs, I look first in my bags. I am making Bonnie Hunter's leader/ender challenge and looked in that specific bag for pairs before I cut more. I also cut random pieces of triangular scraps into the biggest triangle I can get out of it along with saving the cut off corners of snowballs, etc.

oksewglad 01-27-2019 08:39 PM

Everyone's kind words are appreciated. I just hate to see fabric wasted...I was raised by Depression Era parents...the waste not, want not; use it up or do without generation. Their philosophy spilled over into my generation! I have learned to make flying geese blocks without corner squares that produce waste triangles, although I will admit it's hard to make snowballs any other way. In the BH quilt above, I cut a trapezoid template to make the frame around the 9P, rather than sew squares on the corner of a rectangle. Two less waste triangles that way!

sunrise450 01-28-2019 08:13 AM

oksewglad,Never thought to make a template for the BH quilt. Thanks for the info!

NoraB 01-28-2019 09:36 AM

will be clearing off my cutting table today. It's a mess!

WANNABEE 01-28-2019 09:42 AM

Zozee inspired you, good luck NoraB.

oksewglad 01-28-2019 10:19 AM

I'm in my office organizing EOY farm business stuff...what fun! Bits of paper can be as uncontrollable as bits of fabric! And I must be careful of what I throw away!