Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What are we organizing today 2020 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-we-organizing-today-2020-a-t308882.html)

retiredteacher09 06-15-2020 01:28 PM

Craftiladi: I sometimes make quilt kits too. I still have one or 2 from last fall that I should work on. Too much fabric also but mine is mostly donated to my church group and somehow has found its way to my house. Lol!

rryder 06-16-2020 04:04 AM

Yesterday I put together a tickler file system, which I have been meaning to do for a good while. I have already put some things into the month file folders that I want to be sure not to forget about. So far the things I’ve put in are : 1. deadline info on entering various art show and quilting shows. 2. Deadline and requirements info on applying for solo art shows at various galleries. 3. Reminder to give my dog his Heartworm and flea/tick preventative. More will eventually find its way in, I’m sure.

Today I am going to work on putting together some project sheets with project title, goals, due date and specific steps needed to finish the project. This is for projects that are longer term and includes things like: 1. educational projects (think learning to use EQ8, learning more about my computer system, learning new quilting techniques, etc.); 2. Organizing projects (streamlining the way I use my file cabinets is one). 3. Any other kind of project that I might want to work on long term (a little bit at a time) but am worried that if I put the materials away I will forget to work on it. These project sheets will go in my tickler file.

Rob

Teen 06-16-2020 11:48 AM

Connie....great use of the cloth shelf... Looks great!

Fizzle....creating a spreadsheet of your rulers is fantastic start to organizing. You are well on your way. Good luck!

Rob... So proud of you! I remember you wanting to get those piles of papers sorted and organized. I hope the new system works for you. I've been doing that for years with great success. Yah!!

I have a trunk that is a family heirloom (my great great grandfather's when he immigrated from Germany) that I have been storing our wedding memoriablia but, over the years, I've been sticking other family heirloom stuff in there like pictures and family documents, special gifts from family and greeting cards received from important people in our lives etc... It runneth over....so, I am sorting and deciding of what to do with it all. Some, I'll start to give to the next generation who value it, some I'll display. Haven't decided on a lot of it but organizing and seeing what's in there has been fun...and tearful...

oksewglad 06-16-2020 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Teen (Post 8393944)
Connie....great use of the cloth shelf... Looks great!

Fizzle....creating a spreadsheet of your rulers is fantastic start to organizing. You are well on your way. Good luck!

Rob... So proud of you! I remember you wanting to get those piles of papers sorted and organized. I hope the new system works for you. I've been doing that for years with great success. Yah!!

I have a trunk that is a family heirloom (my great great grandfather's when he immigrated from Germany) that I have been storing our wedding memoriablia but, over the years, I've been sticking other family heirloom stuff in there like pictures and family documents, special gifts from family and greeting cards received from important people in our lives etc... It runneth over....so, I am sorting and deciding of what to do with it all. Some, I'll start to give to the next generation who value it, some I'll display. Haven't decided on a lot of it but organizing and seeing what's in there has been fun...and tearful...

Don't forget to write a little family history as you go through things...It's important to preserve our heritage...you may remember that your gggrandfather brought the trunk from Germany, but will the next generations?

petthefabric 06-23-2020 03:47 PM

The top of my desk. Figure if I take care of the last month, most of the older stuff can go in the trash. The desk takes time from quilting.

Julienm1 06-23-2020 04:16 PM

My sewing room is a small bedroom that I converted when son moved out. Not much storage so I have piles, zip lock bags, and lots of piles...did I mention I have lots of piles of fabric and scraps? Every day I say...today is the day I start to organize but I get dilstracted so easily. Maybe someday. one day I'll start the project. Can't do it tomorrow though. Have to go to JoAnns for binding fabric, Costco, and out to lunch with DH. Maybe Thursday...lol. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/tongue.png

retiredteacher09 06-23-2020 05:55 PM

petthefabric: Good luck with getting that desk top cleared. I know it will feel good when it is done. I have a few areas to tackle also.

julienm1: I chuckled about your piles and thinking you will start to organize. I just get overwhelmed at times with all of the containers, piles, etc of fabric and scraps. Distracted too. I wrote 10 sewing room jobs on paper and tore them apart and told myself that each day I need to choose at least one and do it for 10 minutes. Tonight I went through a bunch of triangles and pressed them and sorted them into sizes according to my die cutter dies. The next time I pull that piece of paper, I will run them through the cutter.

Teen 06-23-2020 05:57 PM

Lol@Julie... I'm thinking you probably have binding fabric already in the piles and piles....lol. I use up some of my scraps by doing scrappy bindings...takes longer but when I'm motivated, I'll try. You'll get motivated one day to hit that room. We all have our thresholds.

I'm still sorting the antique trunk contents. Takes time to label stuff. If I know a story that goes with item, I have been stopping and writing it out. I discovered a couple of cartoon drawings my dad did years and years ago...before I was a twinkle in his eye...I pulled those out to frame. I call my mother and chat with her as I go through it....I get lots of new stories or same stories shared again....then I Write those out too. So, obviously, this will take a bit more time.

oksewglad 06-24-2020 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Teen (Post 8395995)
Lol@Julie... I'm thinking you probably have binding fabric already in the piles and piles....lol. I use up some of my scraps by doing scrappy bindings...takes longer but when I'm motivated, I'll try. You'll get motivated one day to hit that room. We all have our thresholds.

I'm still sorting the antique trunk contents. Takes time to label stuff. If I know a story that goes with item, I have been stopping and writing it out. I discovered a couple of cartoon drawings my dad did years and years ago...before I was a twinkle in his eye...I pulled those out to frame. I call my mother and chat with her as I go through it....I get lots of new stories or same stories shared again....then I Write those out too. So, obviously, this will take a bit more time.

Fantastic...as I said earlier..those bits of info are your family's history, Teen!

Julienm1 06-24-2020 06:15 AM

---- In my recent post I should have said I needed fabric for sashing, not binding. I looked some where else and found yardage that is just the punch I need. So guess I don't need to go to JoAnns. Please don't say it's ok to go and browse. I don't have that word in my dictionary! https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/wink.png