Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What are we organizing today 2020 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-we-organizing-today-2020-a-t308882.html)

retiredteacher09 01-15-2020 05:47 PM

Teen: I like your indoor barn quilt. I have lived in my house for 33 years and never thought to hang something on my similar wall area.

Rhonda K: Pretty fabric.

zozee 01-15-2020 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Teen (Post 8351256)
I cut up more scraps today and then cleaned the sewing studio to get it ready for the next project. Feels wonderful to have everything in its place.

I'm trying to be very mindful and minimal with wall decor in my house (except sewing studio...lol...). My entryway is decorated with my love of color wheels so it is bright and colorful. Here is the barn quilt I made over the summer for the large bulkhead you see when you walk in the door. We finally hung it today....I love it... Waiting for better weather to hang the exterior barn quilt I made for garage... Anywhoo...thought you might like to see my efforts. Pictures of sewing studio to come soon. Still waiting on custom workstation. Carpenter has me on his schedule for February...

Beautiful quilt and perfect place for it! How did you get it up there and hung?

Teen 01-15-2020 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 8351333)
Beautiful quilt and perfect place for it! How did you get it up there and hung?

Thank you!

Zozee...A very tall ladder and a very tall husband...lol...

Claire123 01-16-2020 06:25 PM

Here are my organizing goals for 2020.
1. Clean out large bins. I have gone through 3 so far and found items to either toss or donate. I took a large pile of items over to the guild earlier this week to sell at the bazaar this summer. I will continue looking for other items that I will never miss and am ready to let go of. Most of them are things someone else could really put to good use.
2. Clean up piles. I just am getting too many piles everywhere, on chairs, tables. my ironing board, a step ladder, you name it. Organize them so they look better, are with like items and I am more likely to use them.
3. Clean off the table. The table has become a real sight! Continue to go through and either organize, toss or find items to donate.
4. Peg board basket. I have a wire basket that attaches to my peg board with a real mishmash of items in it - bits of lace, small packages of binding, piping, I am not really sure what's even in there. It's the black hole of my sewing room.
5. My "organizer" really needs the same. This is a carry all basket with necessary items like quilting gloves, rotary cutter, starch alternative, an extension cord. Sounds simple. All kinds of things have been tossed in over time - loose change, bobbins, and it's so stuffed I really don't know what's in there.
6. Clean out all totes & make some new ones. A friend of mine has the cutest organizers that she made and they are very tidy. I know it can be done.
7. In general I'd like to make my sewing room "visitor" friendly. This will include cleaning off chairs, making/hanging cute items on the walls and finishing some larger projects.

Teen 01-16-2020 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good luck, Claire. That's a great list of goals. You got this!

Today, I accepted delivery of my new dining room furniture....so I was finally able to unpack my China hutch container/totes (5 of them) and fill up my new China hutch. I washed all the Crystal and just have a silver tea set to polish... Yea! And I Love my new furniture. Here is a pic of hutch... Yes, it is black...

rryder 01-17-2020 06:59 AM

That’s gorgeous Teen!

there is a serious clutter spot underneath the nightstand by the guest bed that I want to clean up. It’s where I’ve been storing a bag containing quilting experiments. I want to keep these as they can be used in art projects, but it seems to me that corner would look better if they were stored in a tote! It shouldn’t take more than a few seconds to pick up the bag (bags?) and put it (them?) in the tote where it (they?) belong(s?). Since I have been quilting my way through my stash for several years now I even have a tote that has room!

Rob

tallchick 01-17-2020 08:37 AM

Everyone is off and running doesn’t it feel good? I’m working my way through slowly, but doubt I will get done by the end of the month but I am trying! I’m on blenders and textures and only have a one bin of those, then off to loose FQ collections and then hopefully a empty 8 drawer dresser that I can put the remaining collections I don’t want to break up in. Then I can get rid of the cabinets and better placement of working areas.
I’ve also gone though and added a ton more to my “sell” collection and plan to spend at least a half a day every Sunday listing items. I’ve also decided to donate a lot of yardage to a local church that does Charity quilting, I have good size tote almost full. My room looks like a fabric exploded and every surface has something on it and it is driving me batty!

WMUTeach 01-18-2020 05:25 AM

Whoo Hoo! It always amazing me at how little will please us and give us a good day.

oksewglad 01-18-2020 02:05 PM

Since I have been reorganizing I am amazed at how many empty bags and containers I have accumulated! Yes that's a feel good sight, too.

rryder 01-19-2020 07:55 AM

Empty bags and Containers are a good thing! Way to go oksewglad!

In between doing some quilting, I worked on organizing my fat quarters and also tackled my scrap bucket yesterday. Still have some scraps to deal with, but it's no longer overflowing.

Does anyone have a system that works well for organizing things that need to be done without leaving the things laying out? I've got a studio notebook that I put stuff in for each month, but I haven't found a solution for the rest of my house, like my office space...and I've discovered that a large part of my clutter problem stems from being afraid to put things away for fear of forgetting about them...

Rob