Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Setting an Organizing Goal for this Coming Week >

Setting an Organizing Goal for this Coming Week

Setting an Organizing Goal for this Coming Week

Old 09-09-2016, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
What about rolling them and using curtain rods either hung from the wall or ceiling and then you can just pull off what you want to use.

great suggestion, Judith. I managed to make room in the walk in closet for them, but maybe I can figure out how to roll them and use the closet rod in there.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:01 AM

I took everything that wasn't sewing related off all the horizontal surfaces and stuck them in my art studio. I figured I could deal with those things after I get the sewing space under control. Then I put away all the sewing things that were not being used on the projects that are actually under the presser foot of my machines. That helped a lot, since most of the sewing stuff that was taking up horizontal surfaces was from projects that were recently finished or which had been temporarily set aside to work on other things. Also designated a spot in the walk in closet for a storage unit to hold batting scraps. Easy to get to and the bolts of fusible fleece and felt lay nicely on top for now.

Am am contemplating what my goal for next week will be. Thanks for starting this thread.

Rob
Old 09-09-2016, 06:27 AM

I chimed in on this thread to say that I am ready to organize my fabric. I am happy to say that phase 1 is done. It involved getting rid of a lot of good things that were really no good to me. I have 3 4X6 cabinets in my sewing room. Over time, sweaters, blouses and a myriad of other things had crept into the cabinets. Then I realized that my past life and the things from it were in the way of my future. I boldly gave away stored professional attire from BEFORE I retired and my DH fitted the hanging spaces with shelves which now hold my quilting fabric, sorted by color!
I am a happier person! I still have other areas to attack, but this is my first met goal. It feels good!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Just to change things up a bit and upon looking at the new "sewing machine carrier" closer, it's a "yarn tote" . So I put all my extra yarn in the tote. Then was able to put some extra yarn for crewel projects and darning. I stuffed different needles in the sides. This put a big dent in my space to breathe.
Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
While going through my "stuff" I found a couple other hobbies/crafts from the past; embroidery, crewel work and of course a few other sewing projects like some darning work. Last time I was in Michaels they had the scrapbook project boxes on sale for $3.99. I also saw at "Tuesday Morning" they had an inexpensive sewing machine carrier for $29.99. If I ever join a guild or go to a group sewing, I can put my irons and few other items in that carrier. My 6' table is still up so I put the project boxes on top and put a temp/sticky note label on each one for embroidery, etc. I just started sorting into the individual boxes. I have to tell you I got a lot done in 1 1/2 hours. Those boxes are 3" deep and really hold a lot. Hubby got me a couple battery operated led lights so I put one in each box. If I want to trace anything I can go to either box pull a pic or photo and begin tracing. These are all clear containers with lock snap closures and handles. Point is I got a lot sorted out. Also with each project I've put the different needles and hoops that are required for the different crafts into "dollar discount" zippered pencil bags. Patterns fit into the bottom and even a couple magazines into a manila envelope.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:02 AM

Good going innov8tor.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:37 AM

Way 2 go ladies. Isn't is amazing how things can be re-purposed or used in a different way!

I just can't work in a cluttered messy space. Yes, I can be a little, ahem, maybe a lot OCD. But, I find I can finish so much more when things have a home and are stored in their rightful place. I really enjoy reading all your different ideas and accomplishments.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Juliebelle View Post
I am in the process of moving my quilting room from our upstairs bonus room to our down stairs guest bedroom which never gets used. I took the queen bed in that room and put it my grandsons room (yes he has his own room at our house) and now the room is all mine. As we are moving things down I am purging before it comes down. It is amazing how much stuff I am finding that I have no use for. All my extras will be shared with my quilting buddies. I will post some pics once we are all done with it.
I hope we are considered your quilting buddies. Put your boxes, bags, bins of unwanted fabric or scraps on the quilting board. Some of us newbies would love to buy your "purges" sight unseen. Use the trade, request area, on the board so we can buy them and pay for postage. Some of us love to make charity quilts, but hate to buy the fabric at top dollar, especially when we are just cutting them down into scrap pieces.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:01 AM

I'm also thinking of my next goal.
Also, the post about the professional clothing really spoke to me. I have a few barely worn items that my friend who is still teaching could use. They are in her colors, too. So I'm starting a stack to pass on to her. She is teaching at a private school now in her semiretirement and has found that the expected dress is more formal then when she taught in the public schools.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes our organization ideas prevents us from sewing...yikes...also I find I get started on one task and it soon morphs into another series of tasks...my denim reorganization has created 3 quilts with one to quilt and bind....a couple of mud rugs for mudroom and a dog pillow for the front porch which makes a great size for a back support pillow for reading in bed...which led me to make 2 large pillows for this purpose and then to make extra large pillowcases that will match in our bedroom which led to finding fabric in the stash...getting ready to sew them now...did you get all that? Back to the denim...this has led to an inventory of what sizes of leftover batting do I have to be used in new quilts and matching those batting pieces with backing to determine sizes of new quilts to reduce my stash...whew. hope to get the pillowcases sewn this morning then finish off that last quilt...then make sense of the storage space downstairs that I have torn apart and get stuff put away in a sensible manner...have a good day!
Old 09-10-2016, 08:24 AM

Whew! OK you made me tired just reading about your adventures LOL! I have the same problem. It's called being easily distracted.

Rob