Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Setting an Organizing Goal for this Coming Week >

Setting an Organizing Goal for this Coming Week

Setting an Organizing Goal for this Coming Week

Old 09-06-2016, 03:59 PM

My organizing goal for the week is not in my sewing room. My shoe storage is a mess. They usually seem to end up in a pile on the floor of the closet. I am in the process of installing a new shoe storage system. I have it part;y installed and hope to do some more work on it tomorrow night. I get home from work at 3;30 I need to quickly make dinner and be out the door by 4:40 for my spinning class. I plan on throwing a meatloaf in the oven and getting something accomplished while it is in the oven.
Things have been pretty crazy around here lately. I am having a hard time getting things finished that I need to do. I also need to finish a baby quilt by the 18th. Gotta get off of here and get to work. I also need to freeze a bunch of corn.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:09 PM

I wish you lots and lots of happy productivity. I just spent the last 4 days doing a huge purge in my sewing room. I plan on doing a mini PIF her on the board next month. And, I sent some choice fabric off to a quilty friend. And, I probably took 50 lbs of fabric to the local thrift store. There proceeds benefit hospice care. And, I'm sure they will get the word out to lots of quilty crafty people. And, I still have lots and lots to play with. I also went through patterns, rulers, sewing gadgets that seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe somebody else will think it's the next greatest thing. I will probably do a final walk through in the next few weeks and see if anything else can be passed along. I felt like I was drowning in a sea of scraps and what was I thinking, and fabric I've used over and over and over again. It needed to be passed onto someone else to enjoy. (All of that was stifling my creativity.) I'm starting to feel like I can breath again. I was brutal and made the rule that once it went into the donate bin, it stayed there. And, lol, this was over a holiday weekend. So, I had lots of time to think about my actions. And, so far, absolutely no regrets!
Old 09-06-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter View Post
I need to organize my unfinished projects so I will know what I can work on next.........Yes that is what I will do as soon as I finish my 2nd cup of coffee.....lol I need this thread!!

I too am working my way through my UFO's. Little by little, I'm at least getting them into finished tops. I have found that some of the first tops need borders and I have used the fabric up for other things that went with these quilt tops. But, I'm just having to be a bit more creative to finish them. (lol, no problem, I can do this. )
Old 09-06-2016, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I have two organizing goals for this week. 1. come up with a better way of storing the bolt of black felt and the bolt of fusible fleece that are laying across the guest bed--I use these a lot, so they can't go into deep storage, but it would be nice if they could go somewhere else. 2. Find homes for all the little things that seem to have decided to take up residence on the various horizontal surfaces in my sewing area. I'm not sure where most of them came from, which is why I need to find homes for them.

Rob
What about rolling them and using curtain rods either hung from the wall or ceiling and then you can just pull off what you want to use.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

judith...you are sew inspiring...right now I am in a where to begin stage..I get scraps under control and then wham another bag is left by the gremlins..I must get reorganized...
But first plan to work on guild historian book tomorrow...in between will put away messy piles when I need a break...
Old 09-06-2016, 06:00 PM

Just moved, finally organized my sewing room, am working on 3 quilts and now must get the sewing room ready for a visitor. We will go to a craft fair & I usually make us tote bags to take along. So my goal will be to finish these items while not creating the usual creative mess!
Old 09-07-2016, 05:58 PM

How is it going, everyone? I took the fabrics, some felt and some cookie cutters to my quilt group and only came home with one of the fabrics, one little scrap, a few cookie cutters which went right into the thrift box and two ripe tomatoes from a grateful friend. That felt good.
Then hubby and I dropped off a car load to the animal shelter's thrift store including two big boxes of stuff I decided to pass along. That felt really good, too.
And today I spent some time working on a long overdue baby quilt. Even though I had to search for a piece of batting, it felt great to make some progress!
And hubby has a fishing day on Friday so I can sew, sew, sew! I really hope it doesn't rain.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:31 PM

Thursday I got all my donations dropped off at the Thrift store. And, nothing came home with me. I still have a few more things to go through. But, that is going to have to wait till late next week. I need to get a baby quilt quilted for my new grandbaby that will be here soon. The top is all finished. I've been pulling and cutting fabrics for my Hunter's Star Blocks. All from stash. I do need to go purchase a new cutting mat tomorrow. Mine is toast.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I love this idea of a weekly organizing goal. And it's perfectly timed because I should be getting a couple more Art Bin storage bins delivered tomorrow. My plan (yes, I will make it a GOAL, thanks to you) for the week is to organize all the birthday candies (2.5" squares) by color.

Approx 1500 of them.

I had started, but was using an old medicine cabinet lying on its back. Looked clever and plenty big, but truth is, the door doesn't lift up easily and it's heaVEE, so impractical.

Does anyone know about how many candies will fit into one 14" Art Bin (the kind designed for 12" scrapbook paper)? I think it's 3" deep.
All of your candies should fit into one box. I take a piece of firm plastic to separate colors in one stack. Hope this helps.
trish b
Old 09-08-2016, 08:48 AM

You know what else works great for storing and sorting scraps......

I bought a couple and also recycled a couple of the Christmas boxes that store ornaments. Mine are clear and each bin is about 3 inches deep. And you buy them in a stack of 2. They were a really great deal last year right after Christmas. I had to buy a couple of new ones due to a couple of them breaking. (My fault they broke, I dropped something heavy on them by accident.) I save, 2 1/2", 3 1/2", 4 1/2" and 5 inch charms in them. (The sizes I use the most.) And, they fit 2 stacked, perfectly with room to spare in my IKEA Shelving unit.

Last edited by Judith1005; 09-08-2016 at 08:51 AM.