Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Share your best organizing tip! >

Share your best organizing tip!

Share your best organizing tip!

Old 09-03-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
Love your cart but I am curious about the large white "thing" hanging on the pole with your rulers. May I ask, "What is it and how is it used?" Thank you.
It's a "Designing Stylus" from Sure-Fit Designs. I bought their kit on making shirt patterns, and it references the stylus. Basically it includes a traditional hip curve plus crotch curves.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by heron View Post
It's a "Designing Stylus" from Sure-Fit Designs. I bought their kit on making shirt patterns, and it references the stylus. Basically it includes a traditional hip curve plus crotch curves.
Thanks for the information. I can see it now after reading the explanation. Just looking at it I thought, slipper pattern for Big Foot. Knew that probably was wrong.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:48 AM

my best organizing tip is......once a quilt has been quilted.......after squaring up the quilt......dispense with the trimmed off stuff immediately. The batting that is large enough to use is put with the batting, fabric is put on the table until the binding is done. Any batting smaller than 5" square is cut into scraps and goes immediately into the "dog bed" sack. Any fabric smaller than 2" square is cut into scraps and goes into the "dog bed" sack. Then.....I have a clean cutting table to continue making the binding and finishing the quilt.

This just helps me keep the "unusable" stuff in its place. Once those dog bed sacks are full....I use my ready-made dog bed "pillow" and stuff it. I always try to have a dog-bed ready for stuffing. Then, it's a process.....stuff the dog bed, finish the seam, walk it to the pet store that accepts animal rescue beds.....and more stuff out of my sewing room!

I guess the streamlined hint is - dispense with the scraps as soon as you are finished with one project.

I purchased that creative grids scrap crazy 6 template ruler someone has in another post. I'm really excited for that...because then, I can cut my scrap fabric using that ruler and put them away. It will be here next week!
Old 09-04-2018, 09:54 AM

I have several machines and I have to keep all theaccessories straight. I use plastic pencil boxes to store the accessories for each machine. I labeleach box with machine manufacturer and model number. Theseboxes are the perfect size for my bobbin holders, Bobbin Storage Tunnels. I also labeled the cords for all my machines. I put a piece of velco oneach cord and write the name of the manufacturer and model number on each pieceof velco and leave that on the cord.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:45 PM

Great tips, everybody!
Old 09-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

my sewing room closet. my son put in a shelving unit for the closet and i have another one in the sewing room itself. they do look better than when this photo was taken.
Attached Thumbnails sewing-room-closet.jpg  
Old 09-10-2018, 06:21 AM

Nice use of that closet space...
Old 09-13-2018, 02:52 PM

I find that my most successful organizing find was using a recycled wood filing cabinet to store (file) my fabric. I bought the hanging folders, wrapped my fabric around them, pinned and filed. I just open the draw, pull out what I want, cut what I need, rewrap pin and file. The BEST!
Old 09-14-2018, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Get rid of everything you don't like or use. Don't try to organize meaningless stuff. Pare it down first.
This is the FIRST step!
Old 09-14-2018, 03:43 PM

Under the bed storage. Shhhhh....LOTS of stuff fits under the guest bed. Batiks in one, reds in another, kid themed stuff in that one over there... oh that one has minky....
And bed risers. (for bigger containers). And clear containers that I can see into.

This is Always a fun topic of discussion!

Last edited by mindless; 09-14-2018 at 03:47 PM.