Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Share your best organizing tip! >

Share your best organizing tip!

Share your best organizing tip!

Old 09-15-2018, 04:47 AM

Oh yes, you are right. Hubby even found some taller bed frames that eliminate the need for a box spring. You can get taller totes under them easily. Hidden but still accessible.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:57 AM

A Brother P-touch label machine. Then I can mark each container and read it from a distance and not have to go plowing through the whole pile and become distracted.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
A Brother P-touch label machine. Then I can mark each container and read it from a distance and not have to go plowing through the whole pile and become distracted.
Getting distracted is my biggest obstacle to getting and staying organized... I've finally realized that one way I can help keep focus is to keep my supplies on open shelving in my art studio so that I can see all my art supplies at a glance-- It's counterintuitive, but for some reason being able to see them helps to keep me from pulling them out willy nilly when I'm being creative. And the bonus is that it's easy to put things right back where I got them from. Not that that always happens

My sewing studio is a different matter, no walls for shelves= multiple plastic drawer units and sewing boxes, etc.. My fabric stays pretty well under control in their plastic drawer units since I "file" my fabric on comic book boards, but thread, machine attachments, etc. all are stored in various sewing boxes, etc.stacked under the machine tables and are hard to keep corralled and put away properly since that means crawling under the tables to get to them...

Rob
Old 09-15-2018, 08:19 AM

Rryder......I'm like you regarding your sewing room. I have to crawl under tables too! I'm hoping it keeps me limber...but I've got to stop making those accompanying noises that go with bending and crawling.......oohhhhhhs and owwwwwwws! (Can't stop the knee noises, but I can try to quit "moaning"!)
Old 09-15-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
Rryder......I'm like you regarding your sewing room. I have to crawl under tables too! I'm hoping it keeps me limber...but I've got to stop making those accompanying noises that go with bending and crawling.......oohhhhhhs and owwwwwwws! (Can't stop the knee noises, but I can try to quit "moaning"!)
Nora, I know what you mean about it keeping you limber. As for making noises, I find that grunting helps quite a bit when it's time to get back up off the floor-- sort of like the sounds those weight lifters make when they lift that super heavy barbell in the Olympics

Rob
Old 09-19-2018, 04:27 AM

I love my pegboard! All of my rulers, rotary cutters and scissors hang there, plus it's using vertical space!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:06 AM

I have my fabric on free standing bookshelves. Each piece is wrapped around a comic board ($9.95 for 200 at Amazon) and I put a label on each board with the yardage amount - easier for me to find what I want and labels save a lot of guessing and/or measuring! I do much better when my fabric is readily visible and I don't have to dig through bins. I have a fabric bin under my cutting table for small scraps - store larger scraps in clear plastic bins labeled with the color, have one for specialty scraps - these pieces are usually less than 1/4 yd. Love command hooks for hanging rulers etc. My "design wall" is a very large piece of flannel that I tack over the molding on my closet doors and let hang on the corner of said doors when not in use. The organizational "tool" I absolutely cannot do without is my hand held label maker - best $15 I ever spent!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:27 AM

Don't start quilting! That is the best one I can think of, although it is the UNthinkable!
Old 09-21-2018, 01:34 PM
mac

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Don't start quilting! That is the best one I can think of, although it is the UNthinkable!
Just think how much money we would still have in our pocket books/bank account/savings account.

Human nature being what it is, we would find some other project or hobby to spend our time on.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a stash. Nothing to organize fabric wise. 4 bins of scraps. Lots of notions.