Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Shelving suggestions solicited >

Shelving suggestions solicited

Shelving suggestions solicited

Old 04-20-2016, 03:50 AM

I use Ikea cabinets and they are great. I have also used shelves on brackets for plastic containers which is nice if you don't have to worry about sun. A friend of mine swears by drawers - it is a matter of preference and space. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2016, 04:33 AM

I had drawers and got rid of them! I found them to be junk collectors and when I wanted something I would root thru them and make a mess! I use magazine boards and stand fabric on end, on wood shelves with doors. I also use lots of clear plastic tubs. I have ventilated shelving around the top of the room so it is level with the window and door wood work. I had it installed on one wall with the edge with the lip up to hold batting, etc. from falling off, and on the other wall the lip faces down for tubs (of ufo's or stuff not often used) so they can be pulled/slid off the shelf. I love Leighway's set up with the glass doors. I'd suggest any drawers be shallow and located near your machine for easy access of notions. A sash rod somewhere is perfect for rolls of Heat& Bond and things like that.

Last edited by Just Jan; 04-20-2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:05 AM

Yes, these are all Ikea.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:29 PM

THANKS, everyone! I'm leaning toward IKEA, Leighway and Gigi, for the floor-to-ceiling wall-to-wall storage space.
Jan, my sewing table has drawers that are handy for things I use regularly while sewing --extra bobbins, seam ripper, etc.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:22 AM
Banned

I use book cases I find at thrift sores. Removed the lower shelf so regular fabric bolts fit and arranged the other shelves so comic boards fit. This is my first one, I paid 5.99 for it. I see bookcases like these all the time in thrift stores and at garage sales.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]548364[/ATTACH]

Cari
Attached Thumbnails s5032109.jpg  
Old 04-22-2016, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by leighway View Post
Look into Ikea online...I believe they now ship. And then take a look at the Billy bookcases. You can also buy doors for the front to keep off dust and keep out light...all are very sturdy and very affordable. But if you don't need the doors, then you can have open bookcases. Shelves on brackets seems to always have things falling off the ends or don't stay organized. The cases I bought were 10 in deep. If I had it to do again, I'd go 12 just for the extra room. Each case with a door is 32" wide so with 8 feet you could get 3 of these cases in place. [ATTACH=CONFIG]548186[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]548187[/ATTACH]
I love your storage units and will be checking Ikea for sure.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:46 PM

Ikea has almost too many choices! Their "Billy" shelves are 10 inches deep, and I would choose 12 if they had them -- but the next shelf depth I found is 13 3/4 for the unit, 12 5/8 for an extra shelf so I guess that is what I'll get. Both Brimnes and Fjalkinge bookshelves come with two drawers. Someone pointed out that drawers at the bottom will be more and more welcome as this retiree ages.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by leighway View Post
Look into Ikea online...I believe they now ship. And then take a look at the Billy bookcases. You can also buy doors for the front to keep off dust and keep out light...all are very sturdy and very affordable. But if you don't need the doors, then you can have open bookcases. Shelves on brackets seems to always have things falling off the ends or don't stay organized. The cases I bought were 10 in deep. If I had it to do again, I'd go 12 just for the extra room. Each case with a door is 32" wide so with 8 feet you could get 3 of these cases in place. [ATTACH=CONFIG]548186[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]548187[/ATTACH]
I love Billy bookcases! I have two in my office for genealogy notebooks and other clutter, and one in the guest room for -- you guessed it -- fabric and quilting supplies. I got the doors that are glass on top and solid on bottom. I still need to affix paper or something on the inside of the glass to keep light off the fabric.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:05 PM

I bought the cubes from Target, they work great and I use cardboard to make "mini bolts"
Old 05-27-2016, 02:50 PM

Here we have "Restore" which takes building donations. My husband got a set of kitchen cupboards for his shop from them. Even if they don't match, they could be painted the same.